Israeli center-left alliance looks to unseat Netanyahu

webfact

Cruz Calls for Investigation Into State Dept.-Funded Nonprofit
BY: Alana Goodman
January 29, 2015 8:41 pm
Sen. Ted Cruz’s (R., Texas) office called for an investigation on Thursday into the State Department’s funding of a nonprofit group that is assisting a campaign aimed at defeating Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Nick Muzin, deputy chief of staff for Cruz, said the senator was “very disturbed by the reports that the State Department has funded an organization that’s playing a direct role in trying to defeat Benjamin Netanyahu.”
The OneVoice Movement, a U.S.-based nonprofit group that is partnering with the V15 effort to oust Netanyahu in Israel’s March elections, received two grants from the State Department in the past year, the Washington Free Beacon reported on Tuesday.

I just saw this. This reflects what myself and others have been saying "Something smells quite wrong about all of this." It is basically exporting the same community organizer political machine to unseat an undesirable ally. This is so unacceptable on so many levels. I understand Publicus and others have suggested these sorts of things are not unique or new- I see that now. Its just this seems different. I would be very curious to note how Israeli media winds this up.

• Like 2

Cruz Calls for Investigation Into State Dept.-Funded Nonprofit
BY: Alana Goodman
January 29, 2015 8:41 pm
Sen. Ted Cruz’s (R., Texas) office called for an investigation on Thursday into the State Department’s funding of a nonprofit group that is assisting a campaign aimed at defeating Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Nick Muzin, deputy chief of staff for Cruz, said the senator was “very disturbed by the reports that the State Department has funded an organization that’s playing a direct role in trying to defeat Benjamin Netanyahu.”
The OneVoice Movement, a U.S.-based nonprofit group that is partnering with the V15 effort to oust Netanyahu in Israel’s March elections, received two grants from the State Department in the past year, the Washington Free Beacon reported on Tuesday.

I just saw this. This reflects what myself and others have been saying "Something smells quite wrong about all of this." It is basically exporting the same community organizer political machine to unseat an undesirable ally. This is so unacceptable on so many levels. I understand Publicus and others have suggested these sorts of things are not unique or new- I see that now. Its just this seems different. I would be very curious to note how Israeli media winds this up.

Israeli media, for the most part, does not exactly leans to the right wing - overall the tones are rather mellow on this one, for now. The one obvious exception to this is the Israel Hayom newspaper which is owned by Netanyahu's (and Republican party) backer Sheldon Adelson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_HaYom#Political_leaning). Netanyahu's party filed a cease and desist complaint with the election committee, so probably more on that next week.

• Like 1