Best place for non-Imm O prior to retirement extension

My friend who is currently over 50 with seasoned money in the bank is trying to get his tourist visa converted to an O-visa prior to extension of stay in Phuket.

One of the farang helpers at the desk at Phuket Immigration insists that it is no longer possible to convert in Phuket or Bangkok, and that he must get a non-O from outside the country to start the process. From reading the threads it seems it is still possible to do the conversion in Bangkok but as he lives in Phuket it is a pain to go up to Bangkok twice to complete the process.

Can someone please suggest the best place to go in the region to get the initial O-visa as the guy is genuinely retired, has the money and just wants to stay in Phuket peacefully like so many other retirees are.

BTW he is a British citizen and the British embassy in London won't give him an O-visa either.

Thanks.

JJ.

"BTW he is a British citizen and the British embassy in London won't give him an O-visa either."

A British Embassy in London ?

Where is that found ?

Not surprised that this "British Embassy in London" refuses to issue Thai visas ! .

:> )

Bangkok will do it if he has at least 15 days left on his current permission to stay, but most likely will require two trips. Hat Yai was also one of the regional offices that would do it but don't know if they do it any more. Someone will be along to confirm whether or not they will do it or contact them via telephone and ask!

The best thing to do is make a trip to Penang.

Just make copies of his passport and bank book showing the 800k in the account and attach them to the application form. Apply the morning of one day and pick it up the next afternoon. Penang is easy because you can use an agent for the application and pickup.

Hat Yai was reported as being a location to do the conversion but I have seen no reports of anybody doing it. I suspect that it would also be two trips to get it like Bangkok because the application has to be approved by division headquarters.

• Like 1

The best thing to do is make a trip to Penang.

Just make copies of his passport and bank book showing the 800k in the account and attach them to the application form. Apply the morning of one day and pick it up the next afternoon. Penang is easy because you can use an agent for the application and pickup.

Hat Yai was reported as being a location to do the conversion but I have seen no reports of anybody doing it. I suspect that it would also be two trips to get it like Bangkok because the application has to be approved by division headquarters.

Thanks Joe, great advice as always.

It does seem like the farang volunteer at Phuket Immigration is handing out bad information by saying it cannot be done at all in Bangkok!

"BTW he is a British citizen and the British embassy in London won't give him an O-visa either."

A British Embassy in London ?

Where is that found ?

Not surprised that this "British Embassy in London" refuses to issue Thai visas ! .

:> )

I believe it was obvious what he meant

• Like 1