Thai businessman buys Sheffield Wednesday Football Club

Lite Beer

Thai businessman buys Sheffield Wednesday Football Club

30252967-01_big.jpg

Photo from SWFC

BANGKOK: -- Dejphon Chansiri, a member of the family that controls Thai Union Frozen Products (TUF), today reached an agreement to acquire the 100 per cent ownership of a British football club, Sheffield Wednesday.

The football club, who plays in the Championship - the second tier of the English leagues, announced the agreement on its website. The agreement was signed with chairman Milan Mandaric on behalf of UKFI Ltd.

"I am very excited at the prospect of taking over control from Milan. I believe this club has huge potential and I can assure all our supporters that I will be working extremely hard to bring the success that I already sense from my short time in your city our supporters so desperately crave," Dejphon said.

"My son Att, who was a mascot at the recent Blackpool game, is passionate about football and I know will be my inspiration in this project. I have made the same promise to him as I do our supporters, he will not let me forget this until we are back in the Premier League."

According to the football club, the deal is still subject to ratification by the Football League and during that process Dejphon and his team will become involved in the operation of the club to ensure a smooth handover upon completion. The new owner has pledged to outline his vision for Sheffield Wednesday when appropriate once the formal requirements are concluded and the club asks its supporters for patience until that time.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thai-businessman-buys-Sheffield-Wednesday-Football-30252967.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-29

Why not, foreigners are also allowed to obtain 100% ownership of Thai football clubs, isn't it ?

No wise foreigner would want to buy a Thai football club,look at Bangkok fc for example,146 in the world table,hahahaha.

Or ANY other property in Thailand............................................................... bah.gif

Yes 100% ownership,the Thais are so damned afraid of a foreigner putting 10 rai of land into a suitcase and leaving Thailand with it,HUH!!!!

yes everyday you see plane loads of Thais walking through Heathrow immigration on Thai passports for non vacation reasons.

another thread chock full of Thai haters

If this acquisition was happening instead in Thailand with an Englishman purchasing a Thai sports team, I'd imagine the scenario would be like the following:

- Pay for 100% ownership

- Informed that only 49% is available ownership

- Actually get 45% ownership

The English obviously do not understand "Thainess" in their business transactions. Maybe Gen. Prayuth should send his Ambassador to the UKTI to help them understand. But that would mean the Junta gets 51% ownership - for national security purposes of course! wai2.gif

Yes 100% ownership,the Thais are so damned afraid of a foreigner putting 10 rai of land into a suitcase and leaving Thailand with it,HUH!!!!

yes everyday you see plane loads of Thais walking through Heathrow immigration on Thai passports for non vacationarrow-10x10.png reasons.

another thread chock full of Thai haters

They are correct though!! biggrin.png

And of course he won't having any problems owning it 100%; they'll be no threat of changing the law on an annual basis for protectionist reasons. Just imagine he'll also be able to reside in the UK if he wants without having to apply annually for a visa and reporting to immigration like a common criminal ever 90 days.

If it was up to me I'd subject Thai citizens to the same that they subject foreigners to.

• Like 1

No they are worried that foreign property developers will nick all the prime land and price Thais out of the market.

Well at least that's what they say they are worried about, but in practice the old cake tin seems to make it slip their minds.

• Like 1

Knowing how superstitious the Thais are I wonder if Khun Dejphon will be installing a giant 'spirit house' at the Leppings Lane end?

Love your sense of humour!.....not! ....(snipped)

Edited by mrbojangles

And of course he won't having any problems owning it 100%; they'll be no threat of changing the law on an annual basis for protectionist reasons. Just imagine he'll also be able to reside in the UK if he wants without having to apply annually for a visa and reporting to immigration like a common criminal ever 90 days.

If it was up to me I'd subject Thai citizens to the same that they subject foreigners to.

"HERE HERE"

"HERE HERE"

You can't blame the Thais for our stupidity for allowing,British Politicians to allow them to sell off our Country wholesale.The latest was our Royal Mail,sold off to Camerons cronies at a giveaway price! now the Tories are touting for our vote,so they can give away some more of the UK, to their sponsor mates,which is their version of corruption,and would be difficult to prove!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Come on carmine it is quite interesting and if it was moved to a political forum it would reach about 700 pages and we on this forum couldn't be arsed to open it then due to us knowing most posts would be just crap. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Knowing how superstitious the Thais are I wonder if Khun Dejphon will be installing a giant 'spirit house' at the Leppings Lane end?

Love your sense of humour!.....not! ....Arsole!bah.gif

Pot, kettle, etc.

Any chance of a (coherent) explanation of exactly what "Pot, kettle etc" has to do with snide comments relating to a football disaster?

Love your sense of humour!.....not! ....(snipped)

I am sorry that you took offence to my post, perhaps this information regarding the aftermath of the December 2004 Tsunami will give you an incite into the Thai way of thinking.

"Buddist monks and followers pray to tsunami victims on the beach in the disaster-affected Khoa Lak, southern Thailand.

Ghost sightings are the talk of the town in the beach resorts of southern Thailand, where some 5,300 people are listed as dead and 3,144 others are missing.

Thais don't necessarily consider ghosts malevolent, but more an unpleasant reminder of death and the possibility that unsettled spirits could lead to bad luck.

In keeping with local Buddhist and Chinese traditions, monks are holding rituals to lay the wandering spirits of tsunami victims to rest. The ceremonies vary from simple prayers and incense burning to elaborate Chinese rituals during which replicas of money, clothing and other items are burned to provide spirits the things they might need in the next world."

If you spend some time in Thailand you may notice that most buildings, from individual houses to massive hotels and office blocks will have a 'spirit house' located on the premises. As I said in my original post, Thais are VERY superstitious, I will be surprised if Khun Dejphon does not 'make mert' at the Leppings Lane end of the ground and this may well include the construction of a spirit house.

Edited by mrbojangles

"If you spend some time in Thailand you may notice that most buildings, from individual houses to massive hotels and office blocks will have a 'spirit house' located on the premises."

Well aware of Thai customs sunshine, tho' it appears you are not!

Spirit houses are erected prior to the building of a property or business to gain permission to use the land already occupied by the spirits....not after a change of ownership, to get rid of ghosts nor as a "Mert" (sic) making ceremony. Maybe you should spend less time on the internet and more time in Thailand learning about Thai culture yourself whistling.gif .BTW Thai Spirit Houses have nothing whatsoever to do with Chinese culture and their own red/gold lit up family shrines #wikifoolbiggrin.png

PS, Still an (snipped)

Edited by mrbojangles

"If you spend some time in Thailand you may notice that most buildings, from individual houses to massive hotels and office blocks will have a 'spirit house' located on the premises."

Spirit houses are erected prior to the building of a property or business to gain permission to use the land already occupied by the spirits....not after a change of ownership, to get rid of ghosts nor as a "Mert" (sic) making ceremony. Maybe you should spend less time on the internet and more time in Thailand learning about Thai culture yourself whistling.gif .BTW Thai Spirit Houses have nothing whatsoever to do with Chinese culture and their own red/gold lit up family shrines #wikifoolbiggrin.png

PS, Still an (snipped)

Yes Wils, but he is an expert on FFP and Ghosts. I rarely see a post about actually playing the beautiful game.

Edited by mrbojangles

PS, Still an (snipped)

Again, I am sorry if my posts offend, you are not a 'gump' by any chance? By the way, you have now had two, misspelt attempts at calling me a vulgar name ( (snipped)' and in your latest post, (snipped)), care to try again, third time lucky?

Edited by mrbojangles