Possible Free Trade between USA and Thailand?

The State of the Union Address from President Obama had mentioned opening a fair/ free trade contract with several asian countries including Thailand... Has anyone in Thailand heard of this? I'm wonder if this is just a bunch of nonsense that the government isn't going to fallow through with, or if they've started developing the trade agreement.

If anyone have any insight on this, let me know.

The day Thailand stops charging exorbitant import duties will be the day I'll eat my hat.

The US already has unilateral free trade with Thailand in that it doesn't charge import duties on Thai goods. It's a ripoff to the US because US manufactured goods cost too much in Thailand. (The same is true with China.)

The US likes free trade agreements and has some but I'm unaware of any that Thailand has. I'm even skeptical about what they will do when this new ASEAN deal kicks in.

The day Thailand stops charging exorbitant import duties will be the day I'll eat my hat.

The US already has unilateral free trade with Thailand in that it doesn't charge import duties on Thai goods. It's a ripoff to the US because US manufactured goods cost too much in Thailand. (The same is true with China.)

The US likes free trade agreements and has some but I'm unaware of any that Thailand has. I'm even skeptical about what they will do when this new ASEAN deal kicks in.

Our goods shipped to the US have a 5.6% duty. Some products, such as silk, have no duty, but many more do.

Thailand already has many WTO tariffs of 0%, also with the USA, which is effectively free trade.

But it applies to select goods only.

I'm not sure I know one single country that has total free trade in place, except between some EU countries.

I know if you want California wine in Thailand, it's a 380% tax on alcohol. That's what I'm hoping will come down in this trade deal.

Unfortunately that's not likely to happen. Thailand has a free trade agreement with Australia but Australian alcohol and wine still has the 300+% tax levied on it.

Thailand always finds a way to cheat

President Obama was probably talking the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement with several Asian nations which would open up more trade....reduce more trade barriers...reduce more duties...open up other export markets. Current agreements in place while they may be called Free Trade Agreement XYZ that agreement covers very specific trade products/services only and free trade don't necessarily mean 0% tariff in all cases but just a lower tariff than pre-agreement and other items still have full tariffs applied or even blocked.

For the most part Thailand has been side stepping/slow leaking entering into the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement because Thailand would need to drop certain trade barriers and duties...and of course certain industries in Thailand "do not" want competition from cheaper foreign products/services.

https://ustr.gov/tpp

Edited by Pib

Our goods shipped to the US have a 5.6% duty. Some products, such as silk, have no duty, but many more do.

My bad. You're right. It still isn't level as Thailand's import duties are outrageous.