Traffic-management plans laid for tunnel-construction zone

Rimmer

Was there a public inquiry - were the residents' or the tourist industry's views sought before the contract was signed?

Was a second opinion sought - dare I suggest from overseas experts in such matters?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thanks, made my morning.

Seriously, these are questions that should be asked directly of the Mayor, and of all authorities involved in the "approval process" for this disastrous project.

Where are the voices of outrage from the Thai people?!! Frightened? Suppressed?

Where are the "respectful" requests for such information from the English language publications and other media?

It seems that only our voices in the wind on websites such as this are speaking out against this ill conceived and mismanaged disruption of life in the entire Pattaya area!

Was there a public inquiry - were the residents' or the tourist industry's views sought before the contract was signed?

Was a second opinion sought - dare I suggest from overseas experts in such matters?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thanks, made my morning.

Seriously, these are questions that should be asked directly of the Mayor, and of all authorities involved in the "approval process" for this disastrous project.

Where are the voices of outrage from the Thai people?!! Frightened? Suppressed?

Where are the "respectful" requests for such information from the English language publications and other media?

It seems that only our voices in the wind on websites such as this are speaking out against this ill conceived and mismanaged disruption of life in the entire Pattaya area!

Yes I have to say would be entertaining to watch Pattaya officials addressing a news conference explaining exactly why they chose to build a tunnel (that they guarantee will not flood tongue.png ) rather than an overpassgiggle.gif

It really is a huge mess now. This will effect most of the big shoots who support this mayor and I don't believe they will remain quiet on this. I don't understand why they removed all the u-turns on Suk. between north and south pattaya road, it was easier to use the side soi's last week. What is even worse is the construction seems to be only going on during the day, a project like this should be going 24 hours a day.

You missed the point. I meant that they are "isolated" by the new traffic re-routings. Pattaya Klang is now one way from Suk to 3rd Rd. NO way to get to them from the west, except via that small road off of 3rd Road just north of Klang. And, of course, getting OUT and away will be a "day trip"! I'd call that "isolated".

" via that small road off of 3rd Road"

This already has to be one of the worst junctions around with many vehicles crossing 3rd road to the small soi which runs alongside the 711. I have seen countless motorbike accidents there when faster drivers don't have time to slow downsad.png

I just went through that junction about an hour ago - they have put up a couple of large plastic block barriers and strung something between to stop people turning right and or left from the north and from crossing 3rd from either way. It will just make it more of a mess as the bikes will now have to negotiate this extra obstacle.

Just passed their about one hour ago and the large plastic block barriers you talked about have already gone!

You missed the point. I meant that they are "isolated" by the new traffic re-routings. Pattaya Klang is now one way from Suk to 3rd Rd. NO way to get to them from the west, except via that small road off of 3rd Road just north of Klang. And, of course, getting OUT and away will be a "day trip"! I'd call that "isolated".

This already has to be one of the worst junctions around with many vehicles crossing 3rd road to the small soi which runs alongside the 711. I have seen countless motorbike accidents there when faster drivers don't have time to slow downsad.png

I just went through that junction about an hour ago - they have put up a couple of large plastic block barriers and strung something between to stop people turning right and or left from the north and from crossing 3rd from either way. It will just make it more of a mess as the bikes will now have to negotiate this extra obstacle.

Just passed their about one hour ago and the large plastic block barriers you talked about have already gone!

The thing is is that crossing leads you to a lightly travelled route to Big C North and the reverse, Big C Extra. You thus avoid Klang and 2nd Road.

BTW, FYI: the u-turn median in front of the Pattaya Nua bus station is now solidly blocked, not even motos can get through. So you have to run all the way to 3rd Rd. and u-turn.

The thing is is that crossing leads you to a lightly travelled route to Big C North and the reverse, Big C Extra. You thus avoid Klang and 2nd Road.

BTW, FYI: the u-turn median in front of the Pattaya Nua bus station is now solidly blocked, not even motos can get through. So you have to run all the way to 3rd Rd. and u-turn.

" a lightly travelled route to Big C North "

But it's not lightly travelled any more? In fact the volume of traffic understandably has already increased significantly.

They can't possibly allow that junction to function as it is without any traffic control for three years

Par for the course - trial and error and see which one works the best - if any - expect more of this in the coming months as one interest group complains and they fix it only to upset another.....

Considering the hundred of millions spent on the main construction, you would have thought that they could have forked out a bit to get some professional traffic planners in to advise on diversions, etc.

It really is a huge mess now. This will effect most of the big shoots who support this mayor and I don't believe they will remain quiet on this. I don't understand why they removed all the u-turns on Suk. between north and south pattaya road, it was easier to use the side soi's last week. What is even worse is the construction seems to be only going on during the day, a project like this should be going 24 hours a day.

Haven't you got it yet? It costs more in overtime if they work at night, so less profit for the contractor and....

Haven't you got it yet? It costs more in overtime if they work at night, so less profit for the contractor and....

I take it that your post includes maximum sarcasm. The Burmese/ Cambodian/ Laotian people who will be doing most of the grunt work will not have out of hours premiums in their contracts???

Wait a minute, did I say contracts? Sorry

I take it that your post includes maximum sarcasm. The Burmese/ Cambodian/ Laotian people who will be doing most of the grunt work will not have out of hours premiums in their contracts???

Wait a minute, did I say contracts? Sorry

Maybe the additional cost of lighting the work site - oh sorry, I forgot, they can work in the dark...

Or maybe the Thai supervisors' overtime - Oh sorry, they can leave the illegals to it while they go to the karaoke bar and come back in the morning and tell them to do it over....

Hmm.. come to think of it, maybe it's better they don't work 24/7 - the tunnel might end up in Soi Batman - wherever that is...

As far as I can gather from 1st hand experience and more hand experiences in this thread traffic re-arrangements cause an isolation of the dark side.........a dark Side which will get brighter and brighter during construction.

Not a bad thing. The reroutes in thanon rodfai actually worked for me, as I drive the whole stretch from highway 7 to nong krabook. Cement the suk sois closed, I say and put a sign up, warning the brightsiders to stay on their side!

Seems to me that the whole thing has been designed to allow the weekenders from Bangkok easy access to Pattaya whilst making it almost impossible for locals to go about their usual daily business.

I live on the Darkside near Mabprachan Lake and I'm seriously considering doing my shopping in Rayong until all this stupidity is over. Presumably they will be tackling all four junctions in the fullness of time so this could drag on for six years or more. Perish the thought !!

• 1 month later...

For several days now I leave my Nern Pub Wan home, park my moto at Numchai and walk across the pedestrian bridge to Big C etc. I just don't like mixing with speeding vehicles on Sukhumvit Death Valley. I also don't like riding all the way from Klang to Pattaya Nua and back down again for 5 more km, although I take Soi Yume. I'm not going to do this for 3-4 years. What a mess, a mess that will just get worse and worse. It will soon be time to leave Thailand

What are you waiting for? Thailand sucks. You are better off where you came from.