Redshirt leaders released after brief 'talks' with military

webfact

Redshirt Leaders Released After Brief 'Talks' With Military

By Khaosod English

14225981161422598222l.jpg
Nattawut Saikua, former Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperative, leaving the 1st Region Army headquarters in Bangkok on 30 Jan 2015.

BANGKOK — Two Redshirt leaders have been released following "attitude adjustment" sessions with the military.

Nattawut Saikua, former Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperative, and Chertchai Tantisirin, former Pheu Thai MP in Khon Kaen province, were summoned by the military after they publicly criticized the junta and recent political developments in Thailand.

Both Nattawut and Chertchai are also core members of the Redshirt umbrella organization, the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD).

Nattawut and Chertchai are two of several Redshirt politicians that have been summoned by the military this week for criticizing the junta-appointed legislature's impeachment of former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra last Friday. Yingluck's supporters say the impeachment ruling was a politically-motivated effort to weaken the Pheu Thai party's prospects of a winning the next national election, scheduled for 2016 at the earliest.

The military junta claims the summons were intended to "create understanding" about the political situation in Thailand.

Nattawut surrendered himself to the military at 1st Region Army headquarters in Bangkok at 9 am today. He was released several hours later.

Posting on his official Facebook account after the meeting, Nattawut said that the military officers spoke to him about the reason for the 22 May 2014 military coup, the mission of the ruling junta, and the need for all sides to refrain from making political statements at this time.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1422598116

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-30

I am not sure having a brief talk with the military is all that exciting, a friend of mine the Mad Major, we often have brief talks , it is the attitude adjustment part that gets me , this gives me the Idea that despots are running the mad house ,I am even more unsure that Thailand isn't stepping into the dim past , when you look at it you would think that a totalitarian autocratic dictatorship governs Thailand, of course if I don't like it I can always leave , it is the unfortunate people of Thailand I worry about, they can't all leave. coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 2

Thai military ramps up 'attitude adjustment' for critics

AFP

BANGKOK: -- A prominent leader of the opposition Red Shirt movement and a former minister Friday became the latest critics of Thailand's junta forced to report to barracks for "attitude adjustment" as the military ramps up its campaign against dissent.

Nattawut Saikuar, secretary-general of the movement loyal to ousted premier Yingluck Shinawatra, and Pichai Naripthaphan, a former energy minister in her government, were both ordered to appear before the military after publicly criticising the regime.

So-called "attitude adjustment" sessions are used by the military to haul in those deemed to be uncooperative with Thailand's generals, who imposed martial law and took over in a coup last May.

At least five people -- three former ministers, a Red Shirt leader and Yingluck's lawyer -- have now been ordered to report this week.

Thailand's junta has moved swiftly to stamp out any renewed criticism of their rule following the retroactive impeachment of Yingluck last week and after a top US diplomat made critical comments on Monday that infuriated the generals.

The military insist the summons are simply invites -- though in reality any refusal to cooperate would likely lead to significant censure.

"Please use the word invite," General Udomdej Sritabutr, army chief and a key junta leader told reporters at Government House.

"We ask for their cooperation... and if they don't understand we will invite them again," he added.

Earlier this week junta chief Prayut Chan-O-Cha made it clear he would not tolerate those who spoke out against the regime, adding he would use punitive measures including banning critics from travelling abroad and having their assets investigated or seized.

During the same briefing Prayut, who is also prime minister, joked that reporters who continued to ask question that were not "constructive" might also be summoned.

The increase in "attitude adjustment" sessions comes amid a rocky patch for Thai-US relations following a recent visit by Daniel Russel, the most senior US official to travel to the kingdom since the coup.

Russel held meetings with junta officials and Yingluck -- but not Prime Minister Prayut -- and delivered a speech warning that the military's pursuit of Thailand's first female premier risked being perceived as "politically driven".

Washington's top envoy in Bangkok pending the appointment of a new ambassador -- Charge D'Affaires W. Patrick Murphy -- was promptly summoned to the foreign ministry to explain Russel's comments.

And Thailand's junta-stacked rubber stamp parliament Friday said they also wanted Murphy to appear before them.

"We have verbally contacted the embassy and a written invitation will be sent soon," Bilaipbhan Sampatisiri, chairwoman of NLA foreign relations committee, told AFP.

Thailand's generals say they were forced to seize power to end months of violent street protests against Yingluck's government -- part of a decade of political conflict that broadly pits Bangkok's middle class and royalist elites, backed by parts of the military, against rural and working-class voters loyal to Thaksin.

Parties led by or aligned to the Shinawatras have won every election in Thailand since 2001.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-01-30

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The million dollar question: Did Nattawut and Chertchai succeed in changing the military's bad attitude towards human rights and freedom? If not the "attitude re-adjustment session was a waste of time and resources.

Seems you think nattawut and cherdchai are capable of and have the credibility to convince others.

Perhaps your reading your credibility list upside down.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can remove the leader, disband the party, "talk" to the hierarchy but you will never remove the sentiment of the 15 million Thai's that voted for the principles that they stood for.

" ... voted for the principles they stood for ... "

• Like 1

You can remove the leader, disband the party, "talk" to the hierarchy but you will never remove the sentiment of the 15 million Thai's that voted for the principles that they stood for.

All hail the Amply Rich Shinawatras ?

and your alternative 'reality'? "all Hail the Enormously Mega Stupendously Rich Junta"

that would be an irreality, luckily.

642x499x14225981161422598222l.jpg.pagesp
Nattawut Saikua, former Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperative, leaving the 1st Region Army headquarters in Bangkok on 30 Jan 2015.

Check out that grin!

Baby, he has been 'adjusted' !!

Clearly, the generals are very good at bringing Happiness to the Thai people. biggrin.png

• Like 2

How many of that 15 million really had a clue of the principles PTP stood for? Do you think PTP have any principles other than get rich quick by whatever means?

How many voted for them because that's who they were instructed/intimated/coerced/bribed to vote for?

The same can be said for all parties here mind. And that's something that ain't going to change without serious reform, real reform.

nonsense reply not based on facts even my 12 year old Thai niece has a better grasp than you do

they were instructed/intimated/coerced/bribed to vote for

when, where? I know many, many Thais who voted PTP and not a hint of what you suggest and you are insulting 15 million Thais

Ah, binjalin, don't be so naive, it is obvious that every single vote was bought and paid for, after all, only 15 million votes at 500B each is a mere 7.5 billion "drop-in-the-old-bucket" Bhat....

These posters... cheesy.gif

• Like 2

642x499x14225981161422598222l.jpg.pagesp

Check out that grin!

Baby, he has been 'adjusted' !!

Clearly, the generals are very good at bringing Happiness to the Thai people. biggrin.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif This comment made my day, lad. what an excellent post....

There IS NO such thing as JAIL for the rich, influential and their spolied brats,.... I told ya soo.... clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

All hail the Amply Rich Shinawatras ?

and your alternative 'reality'? "all Hail the Enormously Mega Stupendously Rich Junta"

How many of them are on the Thai rich list ?

If you are going to post things like that you must be prepared to prove it.

was it my imagination that 'someone' recently sold land at 600 million baht? I'd call that pretty darn good would you not? maybe for you it's 'loose change' but for me and most others it is riches beyond our imagination

nice coin if you can get it

• Like 1

How many of that 15 million really had a clue of the principles PTP stood for? Do you think PTP have any principles other than get rich quick by whatever means?

How many voted for them because that's who they were instructed/intimated/coerced/bribed to vote for?

The same can be said for all parties here mind. And that's something that ain't going to change without serious reform, real reform.

nonsense reply not based on facts even my 12 year old Thai niece has a better grasp than you do

they were instructed/intimated/coerced/bribed to vote for

when, where? I know many, many Thais who voted PTP and not a hint of what you suggest and you are insulting 15 million Thais

Ah, binjalin, don't be so naive, it is obvious that every single vote was bought and paid for, after all, only 15 million votes at 500B each is a mere 7.5 billion "drop-in-the-old-bucket" Bhat....

These posters... cheesy.gif

delusion can be so comforting sometimes... w00t.gif

• Like 1

The red shirt movement is a dead duck.

So is the UDD and so will be the PTP.

While these exist, they will remain a conduit for Thaksin to control this country.

Do not expect elections until this lot have been disbanded.

Whilst I may agree with you I feel all of this Military stuff OVER TIME will INCREASE support for the Red Shirts by default.

The Junta whilst keeping order is still in control of every aspect and They are also now flocking to populist themes such as SHOP at COST price and also delving into rice schemes of some sort.

They have also cracked down on foreigners, tourists have left in droves and the world economy is sinking.

No one cares for anything only their own pockets.

This will play to the Red Shirts who can and probably will say "See, things were better with us" even though they did a stinking job and the money coming in was due to better economic times.

I do feel that this Junta will need to keep control for 5 years at least or the Reds will be more than under the beds!

But will they? there is a new broom waiting in the cupboard at The Big House on the Hill