canon and worldwide warranty

Looking to buy a new camera....but they saying canon does not offer global warranty now...buy in thailand and only covered in thailand.....how can that be, certainly was not the case when bought my last canon 7 years ago or so.

We do not live here, so while it is cheaper....wondering if really worthwhile

Are you sure about that? Thailand has a gray import line, and I have bought using that, where you buy at deep discount and get Japanese market cameras so there is no guarantee here but seller provides service for a set period. I suspect if imported in official channels they would have normal guarantee (but perhaps the world has changed). My purchase as been in the under 6k range and never required guarantee service and live here so not interested in international service.

But as said cameras have never been cheap in Thailand.

To the best of my knowledge no camera manufacturer warranties internationally in SE Asia. I have had issues with both Sony and Canon here (and Garmin and Asus for non cameras). Canon in Bangkok even charged me 10,000B to fix a product they had a recall notice out on (covering my specific problem and my specific serial number) because it wasn't sold in Thailand. They will do NOTHING for you outside the country of purchase, absolutely NOTHING.

Buy here and you will get a warranty good in Thailand ONLY. Same goes if you buy in other SE Asian countries, they will only warranty in that country.

The only exception to this, AFAIK, is Singapore, where Canon will give you a warranty valid in India or China ONLY to promote sales to citizens of those two countries.

http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/web/faq-warranty

It sucks majorly, but that is the situation. One of the very very few electronics manufacturers who will give an international warranty on stuff bought here is Apple, but even they only do it on computers, they won't for iPhones or iPads, those you would have to bring back to Thailand for any service.

• Like 1