Police chief warns station commanders

Lite Beer

Police chief warns station commanders
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police chief General Somyos Pumpanmuang has told police stations that their commander and his deputies will be investigated if an outside agency conducts a karaoke bar raid in search of human traffickers in their jurisdiction, police spokesman Lt-General Prawut Thavornsiri said yesterday.

On Friday night, a raid by combined forces on a karaoke bar in Pathum Thani's Thanyaburi district resulted in the rescue of 10 women (nine Laotians and one Vietnamese) - two of whom were aged under 18 - and the arrest of the bar's owner, Jutharat Sridech, 37. Six account books, which allegedly document bribe payments to state officials, were seized in the raid, a source reported.

Counter Human Trafficking Unit president Ronnasit Proekasayajivahas said the raid stemmed from a compliant by a Laotian mother whose 13-year-old daughter was detained because the mother, who owed the bar owner Bt40,000, couldn't procure Laotian girls to help repay the debt.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-chief-warns-station-commanders-30253114.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-01

and the arrest of the bar's owner, Jutharat Sridech, 37. Six account books, which allegedly document bribe payments to state officials, were seized in the raid, a source reported.

will be released on bail soon,.... wanna bet?wai2.gif

The mother wasn't able to procure Laotian girls for prostitution. We are left with the question, would she have lodged the complaint if she had been able to do so and pay back the loan?

When will these state officials identified in the skim books be publicly arrested, indicted and tried?

Are you living in Thailand or LA-LA land?
  • Like 1

The mother wasn't able to procure Laotian girls for prostitution. We are left with the question, would she have lodged the complaint if she had been able to do so and pay back the loan?

When will these state officials identified in the skim books be publicly arrested, indicted and tried?

Fair question, I doubt it will be anytime soon, but would love to be proven wrong !

One of my biggest criticisms of Thai Visa is that when someone like noitom posts a genuine comment showing their point of view on something going on, others like thesetat2013 are allowed to post a sarcastic response that adds nothing to the discussion. I can certainly see which one of these members is living in LA-LA land!

Agree. However TIT where there is very little/if any Rule of Law. Who doesn't know that? Thailand is ALL talk and no action.

• Like 2

I think we have the bull by the tail, the outside agency (whoever that might be) Gforce should conduct flying raids regardless, surprise is the name of the game I would use Gforce to carry out random raids, this then places Police Commanders everywhere on notice that they could be next , also it alleviates the warning of raids are imminent and would dissuade police becoming too friendly with the operators.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

In a country were you could probably include this type of business in their GDP blink.png

Good point. I often wonder how much of an impact on the Thai economy there would be if all bars, massage emporiums and shops, karaoke venues, were closed and all the employees, males & females ordered back home or to other jobs.

Regardless of how much BS is emitted from TAT, the contribution of this whole business, IMHO, on Thailand's economy is enormous. Of course, so are elephants, temples and Phad Thai (not so enormous).

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. Why are they arresting the victims and not going after the officials who are facilitating this trade?

Hopefully, they WILL go after these scum for profiting off of others' misery. But who knows.

This seems a bit like the head wolf telling all the other wolves to stop eating the sheep.

Does not make any sense. As police corruption money moves up the food chain, since he is at

the top, it is a bit like cutting his own throat. Guess Prayut had a good talk with the police

chief, and instructed him in the new ways. Think all the bad news that came out over

internationally over the tourist shakedown on Sukumvit was a bit of wake up for Prayut.

My thoughts exactly. Why are they arresting the victims and not going after the officials who are facilitating this trade?

Hopefully, they WILL go after these scum for profiting off of others' misery. But who knows.

".......of others' misery"

And for your information, a selection of miserable bar ladies.

post-9891-0-25820300-1422776551_thumb.jp

And a selection of ecstatically happy paddy girls.

post-9891-0-12092000-1422776051_thumb.jp

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 2

The day when they're in need for people to shovel snow from the streets of Bangkok.

I live in Lamlukka, and there are a HUGE number of these 'locals' entertainment venues, including a very old and very big karaoke bar right opposite my shop house. Which often gets 'police inspections' !! and if you travel down Lamlukka from K2 to K5 there at least 10 on the main road alone, never mind the back streets.

I dont think the place opposite me can make too much money, as the lady who runs it empties the 7/11 bin bags every sunday and wednesday night and rakes back the slightly out of date stuff they're chucking out !!

To be fair, they are actually good neighbours, no loud music, no trouble outside, Flashing outside lights off at bang on 1am......but reading this news report, this will definitely be a good area to start this crack down. Lots of places to go at ! I shall watch and see what happens over the road !!

The only problem I have here is the definition of "human trafficking".

If the girls, in question, were cooerced, sold or forced, that's trafficking.

If the girls, voluntary entered into their 'profession', it's not trafficking, just prostitution and they are not always the same.

Regardless of your views on The Game, a woman who enters it voluntarily isn't trafficked.

She might be pitied, as she hasn't an option, that she sees, but she hasn't been sold, traded or forced. If it's voluntary it's not trafficking.

• Like 1

"Police chief General Somyos Pumpanmuang has told police stations that their commander and his deputies will be investigated if an outside agency conducts a karaoke bar raid in search of human traffickers in their jurisdiction..."

Pretty sure karaoke bar is another way of saying brothel. Anyway, I love how there's little concern for whether or not human trafficking is actually happening. I.e., it's only wrong if you get caught (investigated).

In a country were you could probably include this type of business in their GDP blink.png

Good point. I often wonder how much of an impact on the Thai economy there would be if all bars, massage emporiums and shops, karaoke venues, were closed and all the employees, males & females ordered back home or to other jobs.

Regardless of how much BS is emitted from TAT, the contribution of this whole business, IMHO, on Thailand's economy is enormous. Of course, so are elephants, temples and Phad Thai (not so enormous).

Not to mention all foreigners wives questioned carefully about the legitimacy of their feelings towards the old duffers.

One of my biggest criticisms of Thai Visa is that when someone like noitom posts a genuine comment showing their point of view on something going on, others like thesetat2013 are allowed to post a sarcastic response that adds nothing to the discussion. I can certainly see which one of these members is living in LA-LA land!

That happens probably because noitom very rarely posts anything "genuine" or rational, most of it is Thai bashing inanity. But, of course, sarcasm isn't frowned upon by the powers that be at ThaiVisa, neither should it be.

Ironically, many people would consider that your post complaining about other's sarcasm would also be non-contributing to the discussion.

As is this?

• Like 1

Are you living in Thailand or LA-LA land?[/quote

Same, same!!!!