Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

The richest person I know is also the biggest miser I have ever had the misfortune to meet He is absolutely obsessed with not spending money.

In England he would come into our local buy a half of lager an make it last 3 hours. He has worn the same clothes for years, drives an old banger is always quick to ask someone to buy a drink but never returns the favour.

When I lived in England he once asked me to give him a lift to Newcastle airport. I had to get out of bed at 7 am on a Sunday morning, drive to his house collect him and his luggage and then drive to the airport a round trip of nearly 40 miles. A taxi would have cost him 25 pounds and yet the stingy guy he was didn,t even offer me a fiver for my petrol.

When in Thailand he knocks on my door every afternoon to pick up my Bangkok post.

He has no dependants and is not married so when he dies someone else will get to spend his money.

He,s not a minimalist he,s a miser.

• Like 1

I have been living in Naklua ( Pattaya ) " The Land Of Cheap Living " for a few years now and live on 5,500 Thai Baht every month! ( " Absolutely All In " ) I have a small furnished room with bathroom ( cold water ) and 100 Sat TV Channels ( although i don't watch TV ever! ) and free internet included for a cool 2000 baht a month.I am outside in the sun every day and walk at least 15 KM every day and swim to keep looking fit and healthy! I certainly would not waste money on Baht buses or Motor Bikes! I ride a second hand bicycle with a " street value of 500 baht " but it's all you need! For longer journeys i use the train out of Pattaya train station at least twice a week.( Pattaya to Si Racha is only 5 baht ) I eat to a budget of 80 baht a day and eat only fresh food cooked by myself ( inc daily fresh fruit and vegetables ) i drink 3 litres of water a day and i do NOT drink or smoke! Bars don't excite me ( the last time i visited a bar was in the late 70's )

Thailand offers a fabulous outdoor lifestyle and i spend most afternoons on the beach ( yes more walking! ) swimming.

I hate air con anywhere! and stay away from Shopping centres,cinemas and places with air con as it makes me feel ill and uncomfortable! I have lived a nice life in the 4 years i have lived in Thailand and have travelled and explored a large amount of the country by train and taking photos!

You can live very cheaply in Thailand,what will change your budget is " Booze & Birds " ( i have never had a relationship during my time here in Thailand it's just something that doesn't really interest me.)

God Bless you all viewers!

F.J wai2.gif

Wonderful reading and I agree. I enjoy walking here and what works for me is taking life slow and easy.

One Day at a Time.

Cheers.

The richest person I know is also the biggest miser I have ever had the misfortune to meet He is absolutely obsessed with not spending money.

In England he would come into our local buy a half of lager an make it last 3 hours. He has worn the same clothes for years, drives an old banger is always quick to ask someone to buy a drink but never returns the favour.

When I lived in England he once asked me to give him a lift to Newcastle airport. I had to get out of bed at 7 am on a Sunday morning, drive to his house collect him and his luggage and then drive to the airport a round trip of nearly 40 miles. A taxi would have cost him 25 pounds and yet the stingy guy he was didn,t even offer me a fiver for my petrol.

When in Thailand he knocks on my door every afternoon to pick up my Bangkok post.

He has no dependants and is not married so when he dies someone else will get to spend his money.

And yet you seem very close, you see him everyday, you do favours for him, so there must be something about this miserable miser that attracts you? Can you tell us a little more about your relationship, please?

• Like 1

Paddy, we dont always see eye-to-eye, but you are bang on in this thread IMO. We seem to loathe anyone who fits the 'cheap charlie' stereotype but when a thread like this comes along its a race to the bottom. I wouldnt have given that bloke a lift to the corner store, but our mate drove 20 miles each way, presumably in traffic, for a man he detests ? Jesus wept.

Good old TV - the only people we loathe more than those who spend 'too much' are those who spend too little ;)

canned tuna, fruit and recycled tea bags is a good existence?

I would doubt if even the most hardened 'minimalist' lived on recycled teabags. Actually one of the pleasantries of the latter half of afternoon is a cup of tea from the one of the bicycle tea ladies on Beach Road for the princely sum of 10 baht. One time she mistakenly served me tea with milk (powdered) and gave me a new cup and no, didn't recycle the first bag. As for canned tuna it can be a little bland but not the worst thing to eat in the world.

Yes i use the tea bag more than once !!

Im sure a lot of other people do too !

As for the tuna...I really love the tuna and biscuit pack you can buy from the supermarket 36 baht...makes a healthy and nutritious meal !!

I'm sure they do too.

Paddy, we dont always see eye-to-eye, but you are bang on in this thread IMO. We seem to loathe anyone who fits the 'cheap charlie' stereotype but when a thread like this comes along its a race to the bottom. I wouldnt have given that bloke a lift to the corner store, but our mate drove 20 miles each way, presumably in traffic, for a man he detests ? Jesus wept.

Good old TV - the only people we loathe more than those who spend 'too much' are those who spend too little ;)

I wouldn't object if they were honest and just admitted they have no choice but to count every baht. Its the pretensions of being some kind of spiritual way of life that they've chosen that annoys me. What will happen when they have even less money and end up homeless....claim that a real minimalist requires no more than fresh air and pretend to be devout followers of a sect of minimalism that rejects the indulgence of living inside? Or if they end up paying for the next can of tuna by getting on their knees on beach road and servicing gangs of indians...devotees of a sect of extreme minimalism that believes in purity through humiliating acts of depravity? I know BS when i see it.

well thats five thai meals a day and a 10k baht month room. certainly doable, especially if you have confidence knowing you have ample savings for emergencies.

i had an entire villa to myself for 15k and did not spend more then 100 baht a day on everything when i was in chiang mai, and was never hungry or needy.

i would need to be in the $60 a month thai apt and $2 a day bracket for it to start to become not tolerable. i knew people who were kn this bracket (all thai).

100 baht a day in Chiang Mai? Your diet must have been horrible if that is the case. Those 30 baht meals they serve are fine once in a while, but the cheap oils and high sodium are real killers. I live in Chiang Mai and I cannot imagine life here on 100 baht/day.

actually its some of the healthiest stuff you can eat. chicken soup, fruits, vegetables, rice, smoothies from mango, watermelon, dragonfruit, fish all fresh and not processed with all the fats and chemicals added to every meal in the west.

not sure where your eating, mcdonalds? some expat german food place?

My food budget for the week works out far more than 100 baht a day but it can be done.

How many of you do a Weekly Meal planner?

HOW many of you have a weekly budget ?

Planning meals ahead for the week also helps..then you can shop according to your budget and know whst you need plus you know whst meals you are eating for nutrition etc.

I write down all my meals just as I record my spending ...last monday I had my usual coffees for breakfast at home.. lunchtime had sardines on toast meal made at home ..then had watermelon in the afternoon 20 baht ...evening had rice with pork thai meal 40 baht..all less than 150 baht for the day.

Try a weekly meal planner...how many of you write up a meal planner for the week ?

Edited by georgegeorgia

well thats five thai meals a day and a 10k baht month room. certainly doable, especially if you have confidence knowing you have ample savings for emergencies.

i had an entire villa to myself for 15k and did not spend more then 100 baht a day on everything when i was in chiang mai, and was never hungry or needy.

i would need to be in the $60 a month thai apt and $2 a day bracket for it to start to become not tolerable. i knew people who were kn this bracket (all thai).

100 baht a day in Chiang Mai? Your diet must have been horrible if that is the case. Those 30 baht meals they serve are fine once in a while, but the cheap oils and high sodium are real killers. I live in Chiang Mai and I cannot imagine life here on 100 baht/day.
actually its some of the healthiest stuff you can eat. chicken soup, fruits, vegetables, rice, smoothies from mango, watermelon, dragonfruit, fish all fresh and not processed with all the fats and chemicals added to every meal in the west.

Eating at McDonalds isn't a health choice but would probably be healthier than the average 30 baht meal in Thailand, or even the average 100 baht meal for that matter. Most Thai food consists of large quantities of white rice, lots of MSG, lots of white sugar and very little in the way of substantial ingredients...how much chicken do you get in your Kow Pat Gai? Its tasty largely because of all the unhealthy stuff they throw in....not that tasty food has to be unhealthy. When i order certain Thai foods such as SomTam I ask for no sugar and just a little NamPlaa. People make some dangerous assumptions about Thai food being healthy. Maybe if those people do a little reading they might start to understand, and if they ever get a proper health check they may be in for a shock. And to all those so called minimalists thinking they are getting a good deal on 100 baht a day, factor in the future cost of poor health and they might realize its been a false economy. Edited by paddyjenkins

Eating at McDonalds isn't a health choice but would probably be healthier than the average 30 baht meal in Thailand, or even the average 100 baht meal for that matter. Most Thai food consists of large quantities of white rice, lots of MSG, lots of white sugar and very little in the way of substantial ingredients...how much chicken do you get in your Kow Pat Gai? Its tasty largely because of all the unhealthy stuff they throw in....not that tasty food has to be unhealthy. When i order certain Thai foods such as SomTam I ask for no sugar and just a little NamPlaa. People make some dangerous assumptions about Thai food being healthy. Maybe if those people do a little reading they might start to understand, and if they ever get a proper health check they may be in for a shock. And to all those so called minimalists thinking they are getting a good deal on 100 baht a day, factor in the future cost of poor health and they might realize its been a false economy.
No way Mc Donald its healthier.

Its toxic burgers that never rootens

Iceland put its last sold burger in a museum with live cam. Its there for years and no mold lol

Here u go http://bushostelreykjavik.com/last-mcdonalds-in-iceland

My food budget for the week works out far more than 100 baht a day but it can be done.

How many of you do a Weekly Meal planner?

HOW many of you have a weekly budget ?

Planning meals ahead for the week also helps..then you can shop according to your budget and know whst you need plus you know whst meals you are eating for nutrition etc.

I write down all my meals just as I record my spending ...last monday I had my usual coffees for breakfast at home.. lunchtime had sardines on toast meal made at home ..then had watermelon in the afternoon 20 baht ...evening had rice with pork thai meal 40 baht..all less than 150 baht for the day.

Try a weekly meal planner...how many of you write up a meal planner for the week ?

Eating at McDonalds isn't a health choice but would probably be healthier than the average 30 baht meal in Thailand, or even the average 100 baht meal for that matter. Most Thai food consists of large quantities of white rice, lots of MSG, lots of white sugar and very little in the way of substantial ingredients...how much chicken do you get in your Kow Pat Gai? Its tasty largely because of all the unhealthy stuff they throw in....not that tasty food has to be unhealthy. When i order certain Thai foods such as SomTam I ask for no sugar and just a little NamPlaa. People make some dangerous assumptions about Thai food being healthy. Maybe if those people do a little reading they might start to understand, and if they ever get a proper health check they may be in for a shock. And to all those so called minimalists thinking they are getting a good deal on 100 baht a day, factor in the future cost of poor health and they might realize its been a false economy.
No way Mc Donald its healthier.

Its toxic burgers that never rootens

Iceland put its last sold burger in a museum with live cam. Its there for years and no mold lol

Here u go http://bushostelreykjavik.com/last-mcdonalds-in-iceland

Be my guest and eat as much white rice and MSG and sugar as you like...

I live in Pattaya, the "dark side" off Soi MapYaiLia in Nongprue.

Big room in Apartment Hotel with free TV (never use it) and WiFi for 5,065 THB a month (everything included)

Breakfast 60 THB.

2 hot coffee (have low blood pressure), 2 toasts and 2 eggs (have gf)

7/11 or market, 200 THB approx. for fresh vegetables, oysters, chicken and rice.

Gf makes food, I clean dishes.

Spent 260 THB so far.

I drew a baseline of 300 THB a day, that's Thai minimum wage.

Yes, and once accommodation is paid, even a Farang can live on that.

And even less if he's on his own (I am not)

I have been living in Naklua ( Pattaya ) " The Land Of Cheap Living " for a few years now and live on 5,500 Thai Baht every month! ( " Absolutely All In " ) I have a small furnished room with bathroom ( cold water ) and 100 Sat TV Channels ( although i don't watch TV ever! ) and free internet included for a cool 2000 baht a month.I am outside in the sun every day and walk at least 15 KM every day and swim to keep looking fit and healthy! I certainly would not waste money on Baht buses or Motor Bikes! I ride a second hand bicycle with a " street value of 500 baht " but it's all you need! For longer journeys i use the train out of Pattaya train station at least twice a week.( Pattaya to Si Racha is only 5 baht ) I eat to a budget of 80 baht a day and eat only fresh food cooked by myself ( inc daily fresh fruit and vegetables ) i drink 3 litres of water a day and i do NOT drink or smoke! Bars don't excite me ( the last time i visited a bar was in the late 70's )

Thailand offers a fabulous outdoor lifestyle and i spend most afternoons on the beach ( yes more walking! ) swimming.

I hate air con anywhere! and stay away from Shopping centres,cinemas and places with air con as it makes me feel ill and uncomfortable! I have lived a nice life in the 4 years i have lived in Thailand and have travelled and explored a large amount of the country by train and taking photos!

You can live very cheaply in Thailand,what will change your budget is " Booze & Birds " ( i have never had a relationship during my time here in Thailand it's just something that doesn't really interest me.)

God Bless you all viewers!

F.J wai2.gif

your 1. post is confusing, 5500 baht p.month , absolutly all included. then you write, free internet 2000 baht, is that also included? so you have 100 baht per day for everthing, rent, transport, food. i dont believe you.

you said,you explored a large "amount " of the country with less than 200 baht a day, how can you do that? a nationalpark entry alone is twice that much.there are entrance fees everywhere, nong nooch, sanctuary of truth, waterparks, ancient city, do you never go to such places?.

do you take your bicycle with you, when you travel to si racha or maybe ko chang?

visa runs also included in the 5500?. are you buying books or travel to neighbouring countries ?

do you pay rent?

I also find the 100-baht per day number hard to accept, but canarysun seems to live in his own universe so I dont question it. About the only point I would make is that he seems convinced that Naklua is a world away from the expense of life in central Pattaya, but my experience of that end of town is that whatever you are saving money on has to be reflected in your surroundings. He may well have snagged the accommodation deal of the century, but he can have it - I'll stay here, 10 minutes walk from Central Festival and 3 minutes from Big C Extra, surrounded by Thais who dont seem to have completely fallen off the grid whatever their after-dark proclivities.

I live opposite Canarysun in a slightly more expensive room (I insist on Aircon and Hot water) and can assure you that Naklua is not the den of iniquity you seeem to think it is. The building I live in is full and yet my sleep is never disturbed by noise (apart from the 0400 cockerel). It is ideally situated with a 7-11 within spitting distance, a laundry and English book shop opposite and the local freshmarket is right across the street. Yes, it is a mainly Thai area however there are also many German and other nationalities living here also. This is reflected in a good choice of restaurants and being on a main Baht bus route makes getting around easy. I'd far rather the sound of cockerels to screaming bar girls and drunken patrons at all hours.

• Like 1

@tolsti, I live in an apartment building near the corner of Third Road and Pattaya Klang, and I can assure you that any noise issues here have nothing to do with screaming bargirls or drunken patrons. Try barking dogs and the PA from a nearby school - both annoyances that everyone in this area is intimately familiar with. If I venture into the moo bahn downstairs, I guarantee you the dogs will arc up - they're bored and they live in the tiniest courtyards but I dont blame their barking on the bars or their inhabitants. FWIW, I also have a Thai 'bulk-style' market nearby and I have no problems shopping there for non-perishables, but I simply dont accept 100-baht per day for a Farang legally permitted to remain in this country and anything resembling health insurance : not gonna happen. I believe that's a 'blue sky' figure, not representative of his median daily expenditure, but I'm happy to leave it there - I didnt come here to attack anyone, i just dont want people believing that its possible to live here legally on that sort of money when many Thais would struggle on such a small amount of money. Peace out.

• Like 1

Went back to the OP to get a better fix on exactly what it is we're trying to achieve in this thread - its a bit of a ramble about an old bloke who appears to have 'thriftiness' down to a fine art, but he owns his accommodation. Allow me to quote the OPs final sentences:

But my point is that just like him you can live a good life on minimal money.
He told me a hell of a lot of guys live on the old age pension and spend it on booze etc.

No problem with the 'you can live on minimal money', but when a non-smoking teetotaller with his own condo casts judgement on everyone else over 60/65 I have to question the 'good' adjective. As for the 'hell of a lot of guys' statement, quite a few of us get no pension at all beyond our savings - our choice if we want to sit at home in the dark dreaming of our 80th birthdays or go out at night and enjoy the lives we have right now. I'm all for money-saving tips, but not if it devolves into the usual TV wee-wee contest.

If you're living comfortably on 300 baht a day, the Thai minimum wage, I take my hat off to you - that's 300x30 or 9k baht a month. Even if I gave up drinking tomorrow, I estimate that I would still need 15k a month minimum, but that's just me - as soon as we start to get below 8k or so as a monthly figure - in Pattaya at least - I have to ask myself if someone is living communally or having a lend of me. Post all the meal planners and discount coupons you want - without health insurance and visa renewals you are living on borrowed time in this country and I think I'd prefer to take my chances in Nakhon Nowhere if things ever get that hard.

unhealthy 'compared to what'? raw vegetables or a one man fish and fry deal at the local lake

point is that its all a good step healthier then where i came from where i eat processed packages stuff from costco or large chain grocers for almost every meal. necessity, there's nothing else around.

almost everything in the west now is processed with all kinds of chemicals on the label that reads like a foreign language novel.

i will take some 'bad oil' anyday over that. would also take the occassional fly (saw one fly into a dish in a buffett style setup yesterday. did not say anything just chose another dish "nevermind"). were talking damage control here, not absolute purity.

still interested in knowing what your eating and where? later, we can discuss your body weight and appearance.

unhealthy 'compared to what'? raw vegetables or a one man fish and fry deal at the local lake

point is that its all a good step healthier then where i came from where i eat processed packages stuff from costco or large chain grocers for almost every meal. necessity, there's nothing else around.

almost everything in the west now is processed with all kinds of chemicals on the label that reads like a foreign language novel.

i will take some 'bad oil' anyday over that. would also take the occassional fly (saw one fly into a dish in a buffett style setup yesterday. did not say anything just chose another dish "nevermind"). were talking damage control here, not absolute purity.

still interested in knowing what your eating and where? later, we can discuss your body weight and appearance.

Compared to a healthy diet....lets say a mediterranean or Japanese diet as a reference for what good food is...why would i compare to processed foods back home...and by the way some of the ready made meals I've seen in Thailand in 7-11 etc aren't fit for a dog. But those processed foods are probably no worse than the average Kow Pat Gai, Kow Man Gai etc.

I usually cook for myself twice a day and eat out once, its the eating out part thats unhealthy. I buy good ingredients...vegetables, chicken breast, fish...wholegrain rice and bread....fruit but no fruit juice....yoghurts....oatmeal....good quality oil....nuts, spices....

Its not rocket science, the first step is to accept that the stuff you get in the street is mostly junk...it may not be McDonalds but its still junk unless you work hard to filter out the worst of it and only eat the best...i do try to do that although i sometimes fail.

No need to discuss my weight and appearance, suffice to say I'm not a fat slob and i can probably out run you.

Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

By the way, nothing against the minimalist point of view, but how many of them actually qualify for retirement either by the 800K baht on deposit or the 65k Baht income method? I am suspecting many would not qualify. And since the 800K baht on deposit method is fairly straight forward to verify, I will assume that they are less than honest on the 65k/month part they are affirming at their embassy

I became good friends with one of my fellow contractor types here in the USA. He was OK to work with and a decent guy. He had a fair amount of resources and was pretty investor savvy and taught me a lot about basic investing and bonds, and dividends and commodities, etc. But boy did I find out how cheap he was. Every Saturday he would have our mutual friend drive him to Costco. of course he did not pay for a yearly membership but would go and shop when my friend went. And Saturday is the Costco "buffet" and he would fill up on the free samples. Everyday at work he brown bagged his lunch in with his sandwich and cookies etc. He drove a decent truck and rented a decent place. But he sure watched what he spent his money on. The guy was worth a million USD when he retired and moved to Canada.

By the way, nothing against the minimalist point of view, but how many of them actually qualify for retirement either by the 800K baht on deposit or the 65k Baht income method? I am suspecting many would not qualify. And since the 800K baht on deposit method is fairly straight forward to verify, I will assume that they are less than honest on the 65k/month part they are affirming at their embassy

Yes sometimes i see a lot of people on Disability pensions here from their home countries. .I think its about 40-45k a month so i often wonder how they get the 800k in the bank..i guess they have it ?

Don't worry about the Disabled that were sent here because their Farang families rejected them when they got a little ga-ga. Thais take care of them now, whether they are aware of it or not.

Alzheimer or dementia must be strange diseases I guess. At least people who have it are not really aware of it.

Those minimalists that I meet on the sidewalks every day are different. They keep themselves in motion, and their mind working. Your thoughts about the financial requirements for a Non-Imm 1y O Visa is evidence for your insight, and saving up money for that is evidence that you will get another year - without a nanny.

Have fun.

75 and still saving ? For what ? Next life ?

Seem ridiculous to me, he already had 75 years to save...

You never know how the quality of the last part of his life will be. Not uncommon that it will be VERY expensive if suddenly he needs permanent care from professionals let's say when he loses the ability to walk, need diapers, getting bedsores, need special food, special home, medicines etc. Very scary if you are not prepared for such things while living in Thailand...

Edited by Mcffee

Sorry Fey, you didn't get a lot of fresh fish, fresh fruit and smoothies if you were only spending 100 baht/day. You can't find a decent fish around Chiang Mai for less than 120 baht, and that's buying it from a sidewalk vendor. And it's not nearly enough food for an entire day. Methinks you spent a lot more than 100 baht/day in Chiang Mai.

Please show us a picture of that bag of fruit. You won't find large eggs for 3.5 baht anymore, but they are cheap. Chicken is, too. You eat that everyday? Try oatmeal once in a while. 60 baht for a large can that lasts over a month.