Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

Just to add to this I found his lifestyle uncomfortable.

I went out with him a few times,he preferred to walk or get the baht bus,only paid 10 baht,i cant do that,most times i cant stand around in the heat so just got a motorbike taxi which he was horrified when i told him it cost me 80 baht or so to get into Pattaya.

I just dont have the patience to wait around for baht buses or walk a long way in the heat.

No I watched him most times wash his t shirts in the sink or soak them and then hang on the balcony.

On one ocassion i remember him telling me there was a washing machine downstairs I think 20 baht by memory.

Im half his age ,I admire him for his lifestyle,watching TV on his balcony,sipping tea,reading books,going out everyday other day but not spending anything other than occassionaly in a food court.

Could I do that? I dont know,I probaly would get bored,what would i do all day,maybe at his age its different?

He said its no different to his life in Australia except he prefers it in Pattaya.

Look quite frankly I would get bored,i need a job to go to or something to do but then again im not old as him.

What do you do sit in your house all day watch TV ,read books ,go out some days to meet people in a bar or food court,not really exciting but can be done if your a minimalist person .

Edited by georgegeorgia

I wouldn't be happy to NEED to live as frugally as that guy. He does sound like a bit of an extreme case for an expat here. Washing your clothes by hand ... egads. Anyway, he sounds OK with it and that's what matters to him.

I agree. That's more then a few steps too far for me up that frugal ladder.

Washing by hand, no way.

Mind you, he is an older man, and if he's enjoting his lifestyle, good luck to him.

Nice Opening Post BTW.

• Like 1

Hard to say Paddy.The guy im talking about isnt poor he has cash saved in the bank.

But he kept telling me over and over not waste money because you never know when you might really need it someday.

I will say this,I looked up to him as a kind of father figure because he was one of those people who can look after themselves without the need of a support person,im not like that unfortunately.

I wish i could live by myself too but I cant i need people around me,my Mother was the same as Larry and lived alone and looked after herself when Dad passed away.

Edited by georgegeorgia

Hard to say Paddy.The guy im talking about isnt poor he has cash saved in the bank.

But he kept telling me over and over not waste money because you never know when you might really need it someday.

I will say this,I looked up to him as a kind of father figure because he was one of those people who can look after themselves without the need of a support person,im not like that unfortunately.

I wish i could live by myself too but I cant i need people around me,my Mother was the same as Larry and lived alone and looked after herself when Dad passed away.

he is 75 years old, is he planning to take the money to the grave with him?

I am just assuming that if the guy washes his own clothes by hand he doesn't have significant wealth, period.

You occasionally here stories about homeless beggars who die with multimillion dollar dollar estates.
You hear about them because they are so rare and those people are TOTALLY CRAZY.

Not likely.

Also even when you're living low, you have expected major expenses you might be saving up for ... like medical stuff of course, trips back to the home country, and also things like home repairs, new appliances, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

Some oldies care a lot about leaving money to relatives. One of my Grandads more or less aggressively avoided medical care at the end so that all his money would wouldn't be sucked out in his last days. Not for himself but so that there would be something left for his heirs.

• Like 2

Living on 10k a month is no big deal if you don't have to pay rent and no longer care for the bars. I don't pennypinch on food, but because my tastes are simple/comfortable, I spend only about 6k a month (that includes the occasional salmon steak). Power, water and internet are my only other regular bills (no cable - I'm dumbed down enough :) ). Less than 2k. Probably another couple of k a month on petrol.

But it does help to have some kind of interests to get you out in the air. For me, a bit of gardening, long rides in the countryside, wallowing in the swimming pool or a jaunt to the beach at Bang Saray, or temples. All done at country bumpkin pace, of course. It's a comfortable life, OP, although it probably sounds too boring for you. :)

PS: Doesn't include annuals like car/bike rego, mooban fees etc.

I think that I could live like that if was somewhere up a mountain in a monastery. And I would probably enjoy it (and be much less fat and much healthier generally).

But for me the main point of living here is to be spoilt for choice for places to eat of many ethnicities and types, and I dont see the point of having that choice and not taking advantage of it. Without that Pattaya/Jomtien would be one of the last places in which I would want to live.

As for being cautious with money because you never know when you might need it, many people over the age of 50 or so were brought up like that; I certainly was and it's a habit I know I will never lose and of which I am proud. People born in the 1960s and later were more likely to spend everything they have and more.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1