Minimalist living in Pattaya

georgegeorgia

"Small is beautiful"

Agreed, when it is a choice.

Being poor and living an austere lifestyle is not noble, it just sucks. If you don't believe me there are plenty of people that would change positions in life with a wealthier westerner in a second. Those people who are forced to live a minimal lifestyle would look at the posts here extolling that so-called virtuous lifestyle as crazy talk.

Yes,

but the OP Minimalist is a Farang with obviously enough pension to save (for whatsoever)

I'm quite sure that even many Farangs envy him because he's got the choice now to live like a nomad or globetrotter.

I could have done the same, but I had my time of travelling around. Time for me to settle down and let my gf do some travelling around the world. Always good to learn something from different cultures.

• Like 2

tonight I move to Marriott. ,... I like being a minimalist and be in nice place and have a great life....

you should look at my swimming pools!!

They make a nice burger in there. Maybe the best in Pattaya. You can order in the lobby bar and enjoy then patio overlooking the gardens and pool. Nice.

And my compliments to the manager. He hires the cute ones.

Yes,

but the OP Minimalist is a Farang with obviously enough pension to save (for whatsoever)

I'm quite sure that even many Farangs envy him because he's got the choice now to live like a nomad or globetrotter.

I could have done the same, but I had my time of travelling around. Time for me to settle down and let my gf do some travelling around the world. Always good to learn something from different cultures.

Let's go back over that first post, shall we ? Apologies for being deliberately selective, but I am going somewhere with this:

On my last visit to Pattaya I got very sick because i over indulged in many things.I also spent a lot of money the first few weeks.I thought how could of ever live here on the amount of money it would take. But I did meet a elderly man who was from Australia,he was quite an interesting character,I spent a few days sharing his studio condo in Pattaya/Jomtien charged me a minimal fee.

He was 75yo and his income was the AustRAlian pension

But my point is that just like him you can live a good life on minimal money.

He told me a hell of a lot of guys live on the old age pension and spend it on booze etc.

I just dont have the patience to wait around for baht buses or walk a long way in the heat.

All well and good, even if I consider the option of staying with a stingy old bloke in Jomtien for 150 baht a night a completely false economy, not to mention more than a little creepy IMO. I'll go further than the 'dont drink / dont smoke / dont pay for company' wowsers and say this : a teetotaller could live in Pattaya on very little money, but why the hell would you choose Pattaya if you had zero interest in nightlife ? Who sits in a bar with a coke that cost 4-5 times what you would have paid for it in the nearest 7-11 if they're serious about saving money ?

Now I'd like you to point me to the part where the OP claims he is living on a pension. From his comments about 'old blokes', I dont believe that is the case at all but I'm always happy to hear otherwise. I believe that a very large part of this thread has been one person winding up a captive audience - again, hapy to hear proof to the contrary. From the first page of this thread :

Im half his age ,I admire him for his lifestyle,watching TV on his balcony,sipping tea,reading books,going out everyday other day but not spending anything other than occassionaly in a food court.

Do the arithmetic - the OP isn't even 40 yet and you've got him on a pension ? How is he planning to fund his minimalist lifestyle ? Aaah, how indeed:

Secondly money from inheritance doesnt move that fast,it takes awhile waiting for death certificates etc.

I'll tie this up with the OP's musings re aircon, a notorious money pit for many in Thailand:

Another thing too,having lived with him at jomtien and also with the girl at Flybird condo both didnt have Aircon, sone dsys the fans worked well and a breeze came on from the open balcony...other days it was hot air blowing,i just need Aircon,not sure if it puts a big expense on your monthly bill or not??

Increasingly silly posts follow, a couple of board members call him a troll and, AFAIC, that's all she wrote. I don't envy him - he's a legend in his own lunchtime.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

How many rooms do you want ?

I prefer a big studio with a balcony. .. dont need a big apartment ..i dont need a big TV ...

Then again i prefer living alone..how many of you can do that ?

MANY of you cant..u need someone to live with you. You get lonely..you cant look after yourself s

Exactly. Why support somebody when baby oil is so cheap and you already have a right hand.

sorry, im a lefty

Yes,

Let's go back over that first post, shall we ? Apologies for being deliberately selective, but I am going somewhere with this:

On my last visit to Pattaya I got very sick because i over indulged in many things.I also spent a lot of money the first few weeks.I thought how could of ever live here on the amount of money it would take. But I did meet a elderly man who was from Australia,he was quite an interesting character,I spent a few days sharing his studio condo in Pattaya/Jomtien charged me a minimal fee.

He was 75yo and his income was the AustRAlian pension

But my point is that just like him you can live a good life on minimal money.

He told me a hell of a lot of guys live on the old age pension and spend it on booze etc.

I just dont have the patience to wait around for baht buses or walk a long way in the heat.

All well and good, even if I consider the option of staying with a stingy old bloke in Jomtien for 150 baht a night a completely false economy, not to mention more than a little creepy IMO. I'll go further than the 'dont drink / dont smoke / dont pay for company' wowsers and say this : a teetotaller could live in Pattaya on very little money, but why the hell would you choose Pattaya if you had zero interest in nightlife ? Who sits in a bar with a coke that cost 4-5 times what you would have paid for it in the nearest 7-11 if they're serious about saving money ?

Now I'd like you to point me to the part where the OP claims he is living on a pension. From his comments about 'old blokes', I dont believe that is the case at all but I'm always happy to hear otherwise. I believe that a very large part of this thread has been one person winding up a captive audience - again, hapy to hear proof to the contrary. From the first page of this thread :

Im half his age ,I admire him for his lifestyle,watching TV on his balcony,sipping tea,reading books,going out everyday other day but not spending anything other than occassionaly in a food court.

Do the arithmetic - the OP isn't even 40 yet and you've got him on a pension ? How is he planning to fund his minimalist lifestyle ? Aaah, how indeed:

Secondly money from inheritance doesnt move that fast,it takes awhile waiting for death certificates etc.

I'll tie this up with the OP's musings re aircon, a notorious money pit for many in Thailand:

Another thing too,having lived with him at jomtien and also with the girl at Flybird condo both didnt have Aircon, sone dsys the fans worked well and a breeze came on from the open balcony...other days it was hot air blowing,i just need Aircon,not sure if it puts a big expense on your monthly bill or not??

Increasingly silly posts follow, a couple of board members call him a troll and, AFAIC, that's all she wrote. I don't envy him - he's a legend in his own lunchtime.

Maybe George was temporarily short of money because of bureaucracy, maybe he will never get anything out of his inheritance.

I don't see anything wrong in taking into account that you maybe poor forever, and I wouldn't blame George for being realistic in this matter.

I'm 66, and I had to go this, too, also due to bureaucracy.

So, I was actually forced for a while at least to try to live on what Thais are supposed to live on: a minimum of 300 THB.

My personal experience is:

It was possible for me without accommodation in a hotel.

For me alone, with a little help from my Thai family and friends in times when I didn't even get 300 THB a day.

Not possible for a Farang to support a Thai lady and her daughter (18 yo) on 300 THB a day. You'll need at least twice as much, provided the basic infrastructure is there.

Basic infrastructure in Thailand means a flat with a room for yourself, all other transportation and electronic devices you can share.

A family doesn't need a computer for each member, not a private car for each member, not a TV screen, and certainly not a stereo equipment with speakers for each one at the same time (the cacophony would drive me crazy)

60 kb permanent income every month should be sufficient, even if you join Pattaya nightlife from time to time.

Pattaya nightlife is getting less attractive to me the longer I stay in Pattaya.

If this posting is about how to live in Thailand with a very low income, I can tell that I live with my Thai housewife, no children, in a nice northern town, paying 5000 THB to rent a nice house with utilities, 10000 THB payment for a new car with insurance, 2000 THB payments in credits, 3000 THB payment in health insurance, and we have a nice life without luxuries, with a monthly budget of 30000 THB maximum..

Edited by BKResort
  • Like 1

If this posting is about how to live in Thailand with a very low income, I can tell that I live with my Thai housewife, no children, in a nice northern town, paying 5000 THB to rent a nice house with utilities, 10000 THB payment for a new car with insurance, 2000 THB payments in credits, 3000 THB payment in health insurance, and we have a nice life without luxuries, with a monthly budget of 30000 THB maximum..

But you must be very hungry ;)

Technically, its about the ability of some - or at the very least one old man in Jomtien, to live in a city notorious for 'tourist prices' - unless your 'nice northern town' (are we talking 'Lanna north' or northeast ?) also has a hardcore of vendors who will happily gouge you simply because you are Farang, I'm not sure we're comparing apples and oranges. As I said earlier, anyone who can live here without drinking alcohol is automatically ahead of the game - I just question whether they wouldnt be happier in your 'nice northern town'. Not saying everyone who drinks is a lush, simply that even a little thing like a bottle of wine with a restaurant meal can rapidly blow the kinds of meagre budgets being discussed in this thread. I *could* buy cases of Chang or Singha and drink them at home - potentially a massive saving - but again I could do that anywhere in Thailand.

FWIW, there are is at least one TV member who claims to be supporting a Thai wife and two kids in Bangkok on 30K baht a month - more power to him, but that's not a situation I'd like to be in. I have no issue with people who are able to live frugally - I do have an issue with people lecturing me on how I should be following their (purported) example.

• Like 2

all you need is a bed, a shower and food.

everything else is Luxus.

you can start living with 6000 baths a month.

what you got for 6k in UK?

Id argue even a bed and a roof are superfluous. Nothing wrong with fresh air and the open road. So you say 6000 a month. Nonsense. I can live quite nicely on half that.

Id argue even a bed and a roof are superfluous. Nothing wrong with fresh air and the open road. So you say 6000 a month. Nonsense. I can live quite nicely on half that.

Agree. For an occasional splurge or an emergency expense you can always dig thru a dumpster for bottles/cans and take them to a recycler.

Agree. For an occasional splurge or an emergency expense you can always dig thru a dumpster for bottles/cans and take them to a recycler.

Exactly. I was rifling through some bins near Tops the other day and i found a barely eaten ham and cheese baguette. Combined with a half drunk Coke from McDonalds i had a free and nutritious meal. And as you say, cans and bottles etc are as good as cash for the occasional splurge on a luxury. And as for the actual dumpsters, they are just as good as a hotel room for an overnight stay...but free. Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

Technically, its about the ability of some - or at the very least one old man in Jomtien, to live in a city notorious for 'tourist prices' - unless your 'nice northern town' (are we talking 'Lanna north' or northeast ?) also has a hardcore of vendors who will happily gouge you simply because you are Farang, I'm not sure we're comparing apples and oranges. As I said earlier, anyone who can live here without drinking alcohol is automatically ahead of the game - I just question whether they wouldnt be happier in your 'nice northern town'. Not saying everyone who drinks is a lush, simply that even a little thing like a bottle of wine with a restaurant meal can rapidly blow the kinds of meagre budgets being discussed in this thread. I *could* buy cases of Chang or Singha and drink them at home - potentially a massive saving - but again I could do that anywhere in Thailand.

FWIW, there are is at least one TV member who claims to be supporting a Thai wife and two kids in Bangkok on 30K baht a month - more power to him, but that's not a situation I'd like to be in. I have no issue with people who are able to live frugally - I do have an issue with people lecturing me on how I should be following their (purported) example.

Other OP said that I probably live very hungry. My wife says that I eat too much..and I drink too much, because I love barbecues and every weekend on my patio is a big steak on the grill, baked potatoes, and a big glass of Montclair Cabernet.

A good Thai buffet lunch in a hotel in Phayao cost 165 THB, and we enjoy it every month. The Phayao Lake is the best fishing spot in the area, and our lakeside picnics always end with a nice fresh fish dinner.

We have "luxuries" too. For my wife, is our short "vacations" in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai visiting friends. My particular 'luxury", at 65...is to have her, a very beautiful, loyal, and caring, 42 years old wife....and be healthy enough to take care of its needs....and mines.

I know people that will say that's is not enough to call it a "good" life, but... I also know people that NEVER have a good life, no matter what they have....

In my case...30000 THB/month is buying for me more than ever had before. HAPPINESS!...

Edited by BKResort

Congratulations that u can live a good life on 30,000 baht a month.

Many of us that own our own Condo do live on less than 15,000 baht a month and still live good.

I also love the Thai buffets ..i use to love the one on Third Rd eat as much as you want 112 baht....yes I did know other minimalists who would bring a plastic container along and when no one looks they would fill it up with the buffett food.

On another note at the markets today ..haggling away when a middle aged guy wearing a flowery Hawaiian shirt and having a Australian accent called me a racist because I was haggling...omg...

"DO YOU know how much you would pay for them shorts in Australia"? he yelled at me with his red face and hawaiian shirt.

I dont know but mind your own business.

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 2

Many of us that own our own Condo do live on less than 15,000 baht a month and still live good.

I also love the Thai buffets ..i use to love the one on Third Rd eat as much as you want 112 baht....yes I did know other minimalists who would bring a plastic container along and when no one looks they would fill it up with the buffett food.

On another note at the markets today ..haggling away when a middle aged guy wearing a flowery Hawaiian shirt and having a Australian accent called me a racist because I was haggling...omg...

"DO YOU know how much you would pay for them shorts in Australia"? he yelled at me with his red face and hawaiian shirt.

I would be fascinated to see what kind of haggling led a normally apathetic Australian - assuming any of this actually happened - to open his mouth in public. I've walked past several altercations where any good humor on the Thai's part had been exhausted and she was telling a lowballer to leave her stall while he tried to bang numbers into her calculator : those are the last people I want to have anything to do with. No argument that he had no business eavesdropping, but it begs the question as to how long he'd been waiting while you bailed up a vendor over 10 or 20 baht.

When I was single, my budget was max 15000 THB/month, and I was paying 3000 THB/month rent for a small house. But, married, paying a car, and using it, is not very easy to not go over 30000 THB/month. Wife also like to be spoiled once in a while.

I really believe that is very possible for a single mature man to live well in Thailand not expending more than 10000 THB/month.....but..location is the key for saving.

I still amazed how low are house rentals and food in some areas.

Edited by BKResort

Very easy to live on far less...I own my own Condo..just a Studio 32sqm but I have made it look very nice and has a large balcony.

I live on less than 10,000 most months.

I am middleaged but semi retired..I like to keep busy..I religiously clean my room everyday..I dont have tiles I have carpet which in hindsight was not a good idea but I clean up to 2 hours a day .

Sometimes I walk up to the Shopping malls compare prices and sometimes not buy anything at all.

There are some days where I do find boring but doesnt mean I should start drinking..i just try to keep.myself busy..I do get lonely as i dont have family anymore..but if friends are busy then I just try to go places myself...i have a extra single bed in my condo I could rent out but i find it difficult to live with someone a long time.

I guess im like be a loner..i dont need people to go out with..I can go out by myself and look after myself...

I had some Thai friends but i find it difficult to go out with them as i like to browse at shopping sometimes take photos etc and whoever is with me becomes bored waiting for me to browse so i prefer shopping by myself .

There is a gym near me PN gym but they want 1500 baht a month which is too much..i would like to join a gym but i not paying too much.

I have internet ..I dont need cable..it can be done...drinking..whoring..etc are the culprits.

Edited by georgegeorgia

Speak for yourself Kimosabe.

The last time that a bed, shower and food were sufficient for me was when I was a teenager. A nice home, including a/c, and all the other accouterments, and good food and company are what helps make life more than just one of survival. And I look for more in life than just to survive.

Some are happy and satisfied with a monk's life, but I would be willing to bet that those who are forced into that single room life because of circumstances would strongly disagree that their life is perfect and sufficient.

I think there is a reason that virtually all the young boys, who, on their way to becoming men spend the minimum required time as monks before getting back to their lives where they work hard to purchase a decent car, flatscreen TV, find partners etc. They want more out of life.

My wife and I want and deserve more than a six thousand baht a month life.

I think that most comments concerning how perfect that one room existence is are generated by those who are rationalizing and justifying their life as a poor person.

It that bed, shower and food are enough for you, that is nice.

Edited by SpokaneAl

There have been suggestions that the topic is just a troll topic and a feeling exists that the OP lives outside of Thailand in reality.

And the thread has run its course perhaps as well getting sidetracked into off-topic matters.

If enough posters wish, then we may close the topic on the basis of all that.

petercool - moderator team