Can i buy a phone sim card in Tachilek(Burma)?

calvinyong

I don't think the other respondents understood the OP's question directly.

Let me try this:

1) Since Tachilek is in Myanmar/Burma, the question is: are you wanting to purchase a Thai or a Myanmar SIM card? Logically, it would make more sense to purchase a Myanmar SIM card there, but I believe both Thai and Myanmar SIM cards can be purchased in Tachilek. The price for an MPT SIM card in Tachilek should be the same as in Myawady, another border town with Thailand where I purchased a Myanmar SIM card operated by MPT for 5000 Kyat or around 160 Baht. Cheaper 2000 Kyat SIM cards may also be available though.

2) If the OP is entering Thailand through Mae Sai after a journey through Myanmar and is exiting the country there, better to stick to buying a Thai SIM card on the Thai side. Apart from probably charging more for a Thai SIM card than what is charged on the Thai side, it may be more difficult to find phone shops selling Thai SIM cards and language may be an issue too. On the Thai side everyone speaks Thai (and maybe some English) whereas on the Myanmar side, only some people will speak Thai or English. I point this out as an issue because despite many Burmese speaking good English, it is easier to deal with locals in their own language than in English - otherwise you may not get what you want - on the Myanmar side, Thai SIM cards may only be the most basic ones without 3G/4G. It's therefore much easier to buy a Thai SIM card on the Thai side.

• Like 1