Soi Dog Foundation to hold fourth mobile adoption event in Phuket

webfact

Soi Dog Foundation to hold fourth mobile adoption event in Phuket
The Nation

30253269-01_big.jpg

PHUKET: -- The Soi Dog Foundation will be holding its fourth mobile event in Phuket on February 21 to offer puppies and kittens for adoption.

The event will be held at Macro in Thalang from 11am to 3pm.

The kittens and puppets have all been vaccinated and sterilised.

Soi Dog adoption staff will be on hand to answer any questions regarding adoptions and Soi Dog in general on the day

Soi Dog aims to increase the local adoption rate in 2015 with more mobile adoption events in Phuket and Bangkok.

"Currently the Soi Dog Foundation shelter is overflowing with more than 400 cats and kittens, dogs and puppies that are waiting for a new home. Mobile adoption events are one of the ways Soi Dog is trying to alleviate this over-crowding. The aim is to free up some spare space for the constant flow of abandoned and sick animals that are always coming in " said Katherine Polak, Director of Animal Welfare.

Cristy Baker Soi Dog Adoptions Manager, talks about one successful adoption in Phuket. "Recently a lovely couple from the UK who now call Phuket home, adopted Clifford, a lovely male puppy, from our shelter. They first visited the Mai Khao shelter with their current dog Lexie so she could meet Clifford to make sure it was a good match. He is doing very well in his new home, which we are very happy to hear."

Soi Dog does not charge any adoption fee.

Interested people can contact [email protected] for more details or call (093) 709 9622.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Soi-Dog-Foundation-to-hold-fourth-mobile-adoption--30253269.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-03

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

idiots, what we need is a culling event not adoption

Nope, we need people to stop feeding strays. Then and only then will the problem with strays end.

Nope, we need people to stop abandoning their pets when deciding to relocate. I've noticed an increase in 'community pets' in my area. We also need to keep up the support for programs like Soi Dogs' neutering drives. We also need to ensure we didn't leave our humanity at the airport when checking in.

Relocate, educating the entire Nation will take time.........

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

idiots, what we need is a culling event not adoption

Nope, we need people to stop feeding strays. Then and only then will the problem with strays end.

Nope, we need people to stop abandoning their pets when deciding to relocate. I've noticed an increase in 'community pets' in my area. We also need to keep up the support for programs like Soi Dogs' neutering drives. We also need to ensure we didn't leave our humanity at the airport when checking in.

Relocate, educating the entire Nation will take time.........

introduce dog catchers for these ugly annoying mutts.

Currently the Soi Dog Foundation shelter is overflowing with more than 400 cats and kittens, dogs and puppies that are waiting for a new home

Currently Thailand is overflowing with millions of cats and kittens, dogs and puppies that are without a home.

400 is just a very small drop in a giant ocean. You could hold an event this size every day of the year and it still wouldn't make any real difference to the serious soi dog and cat problem.

P.S. Did anyone else spot the spelling mistake in the poster.

• Like 1

Currently the Soi Dog Foundation shelter is overflowing with more than 400 cats and kittens, dogs and puppies that are waiting for a new home

Currently Thailand is overflowing with millions of cats and kittens, dogs and puppies that are without a home.

400 is just a very small drop in a giant ocean. You could hold an event this size every day of the year and it still wouldn't make any real difference to the serious soi dog and cat problem.

P.S. Did anyone else spot the spelling mistake in the poster.

It will make a big difference to the animals being adopted.

• Like 2

"FREE TO GOOD HOMES!"

A friend regularly has puppies from his breeding Cocker Spaniels. He used to give them away free. Most ended up being abandoned after just a few weeks. He now charges up to 6,000 baht per puppy. None of the paid for pups get abandoned.

When I first came to live in Phuket in the 80's in Patong, a man would visit every house (there weren't many back then) and if the house had a pet dog, a special, coloured collar was given to the owner to put on their dog.

A week later, a truck came around and rounded up every dog that was not wearing the special collar. They were then taken away and killed. Patong was free of strays for most of the year.

As more and more foreigners came to live here, they complained about about this practice. Then the do-gooder organizations like Soi Dogs and PAWS arrived and also pressured the local governments to stop the culling. They convinced the locals that they could do a better job by sterilization. The theory being that if you kill the dog, another stray will take over it's territory. If you sterilize it and put it back, it will keep other strays away. The locals believed them and stopped the culling.

What these do-gooders failed to mention was that sterilization works when no other actions are being taken to reduce the stray population. What they didn't say was that culling is far more effective than sterilization.

These do-gooders are not trying to get strays off the streets. Their main concern is the welfare of these mutts and not the people in the neighbourhood.

They basically were economical with the truth to further their own agenda,

They should bring back the cull and if Soi Dogs and PAWS don't like it, tough!

Spot on this post, although irresponsible Thai dog owners come in for a lot of the blame these western do gooders are no better. Worse in fact because the pretend they have a humane answer. Mass culling is what is needed and not just on Phuket but countrywide.

• Like 1

Gas all stray soi dogs....It's called The Humane Society in the West.

Playground in my moo ban......sandlot filled with kids in the day......doing what kids to best. At night home to about twenty plus soi dogs......The Hookwork infection rate must be huge in these kids.

• Like 1

Playground in my moo ban......sandlot filled with kids in the day......doing what kids to best. At night home to about twenty plus soi dogs......The Hookwork infection rate must be huge in these kids.

Thais don't know about the dangers from dog shit, I collect it up once a week, they think i'm daft doing it.

Thais don't know about the dangers from dog shit, I collect it up once a week, they think i'm daft doing it.

Can't blame them.
  • Like 1

The most dangerous thing about dog shit is slipping over in it when your going for a stroll

You do know that toddlers like putting dirt in their mouths, right?

You think a toddler will know the difference?

• Like 2

12 years ago i found a kitten half dead at the side of road in Maikhaw. This cat is still healthy alive and lives with its 2 children in one of our houses a good life.

6 years ago we took a dog from Soi Dog F. in Maikhaw. Grateful dog who lives a happy life with the 3 cats.

4 years ago wife found a kitten again half dread in neighbors garden. This sensational cat is now mother of 3 and they all live a great life.

Loving animals and helping them isn't a bad thing and don't cost a fortune. Paws and Soi Dog F. doing a great job. Used their doctors many years.

Killing dogs and cats because they are strays and may have fleas is no solution. But hey that's only me because i don't feel i am superior to animals.

If they are mad and out of control or really sick only then, taking away their right to live is a solution. This applies for animals and same should applies for people.

• Like 2

Parents mistake? Lack of supervision?

Parents mistake? Lack of supervision?

Eating earth at a very young age seems to be an instinct and it has been proved that this activity primes the immune system.

You can't watch your children every second of every day. They maybe five feet away from you and no one sees the dog poo right next to where the child is playing.

• Like 1

SoiDogFoundation website is in 5 languages, also in thai.

Paws is in the middle of Phuket. Let's have a visit to their clinic. Chat with the nice thai stuff and the thai doctors. Read their educational signs in thai or in english.

I would guess most of their thai customers, which are the majority are happy with their way connecting clinic and education.