US Citizen wanting to live in Thailand

Hello all,

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance on my particular situation and how I can make living in Thailand a reality.

In March I am starting a new job where I will be working in Japan. The schedule is pretty much 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. During your 2 weeks off the company flies you home to wherever you live in the world(literally anywhere). I currently live in the US and the drastic time change every 2 weeks would be slightly less than Ideal. I understand as a US citizen we can enter Thailand visa free for up to 30 days as I have done this several times on holiday. Generally(but not always) I would never be in Thailand for more than 2 weeks at a time before having to fly back to Japan for 2 weeks. Is it possible (and legal) to enter Thailand on a US passport as a "tourist" once a month indefinitely? Are there any sort of visa options out there that are good for much longer periods of time such as 6 months to a year?

Also, I have no desire to work in Thailand or buy property. I simply want to live in Thailand renting a condo.

For those willing to shed some light on this particular situation, I thank you in advance.

Yes, you can do that. Many people have 14/14 rotation as in your case. If you work in O&G there is a section about in the forum.

Thanks for your reply. I work as an airline crew member.

Zero issue then. Your airline credentials are enough to justify you come and go practically as you please.

I think as long as you tell Thai immigration that you live in Japan and just come to VISIT Thai land on your leave you will be fine. But , Do not make the mistake of telling Thai immigration you are living here . I live and work in Japan and on my time off I like to visit Thailand. That is all they need to know.

I am waiting for UbonJoe to ad some good advice here. coffee1.gif

Just wanted to ad that the passport pages will run out quick and the US Embassy was saying they are no longer issuing pages and that you will need to apply for new passport when full.

Any body have an update on this ?

They will no longer add pages effective January of 2016. Plenty of time to get pages added if needed.

I would look elsewhere just in case. They throw this whole bonafide tourist thing in your face, which you would not be after a subjective while. Immigration might see your airline credentials as legitimate reason. Many have lived in Thailand while between jobs in China and other places between jobs. Thailand is not as welcoming as it once was. I would look at other, more hospitable places. Taiwan has loosened up dramatically. Do NOT make Thailand your only choice. Thailand could and will fail you in the future. The government that is. The Thais are just fine. Would NOT get comfortable there.

I would look elsewhere just in case. They throw this whole bonafide tourist thing in your face, which you would not be after a subjective while. Immigration might see your airline credentials as legitimate reason. Many have lived in Thailand while between jobs in China and other places between jobs. Thailand is not as welcoming as it once was. I would look at other, more hospitable places. Taiwan has loosened up dramatically. Do NOT make Thailand your only choice. Thailand could and will fail you in the future. The government that is. The Thais are just fine. Would NOT get comfortable there.

I don't see how the Thai gov.t can fail the OP in this case. He/she can rent on a monthly basis, furniture included. If and when doesn't like the place anymore, can fly somewhere else, free. Actually he/she is in a much better position that the average visitor or resident.

As others have said but the only possible issue may be not having enough pages in your passport for stamps every two weeks. Won't take long to fill up a standard sized passport, especially if you have to have full page visas for other locations

I have thicker frequent traveler US passport that hasn't been really dented at all by my monthly (or more frequent visit) to Thailand (2+ years on this passport) as Thai immigration really stretch out a page by grouping as much stamps as possible on a page!!! I don't really go anywhere else so Thailand is the only stamps in my passport (don't get stamped for Singapore or US).

I'm sure OP knows but if he has standard passport, he can go to embassy to get additional pages put in.

I traveled in and out of Thailand weekly from 2003-2008 with a US passport. As long as you come with a passport with a lot of free pages in it, the passport will last a very long time. Also easy to get a new one when you need it.

As others have said but the only possible issue may be not having enough pages in your passport for stamps every two weeks. Won't take long to fill up a standard sized passport, especially if you have to have full page visas for other locations

What is the issue? You can get page extensions and new passports, only a few bucks and a few minutes with an embassy appointment.

Thank you everyone for your help. For those talking about passport pages, I had pages added last fall (max amount possible) so that shouldn't be an issue. When I go to Japan I will be entering on a shore pass each time so I don't believe I will actually have any stamps in and out of Japan. Basically, eventually it would just be a TON of stamps in and out of Thailand. It seems as though that would raise a lot of red flags after awhile but perhaps I am wrong? Is there any other option out there where I don't have to play tourist each time going through immigration? Again, thank you all for the input.

You should not have a problem doing the entries since they will all be done by air and probably to Suv (bkk) airport.

There are many people doing the same thing that are on rotation working outside the country.

Just be prepared to show financial proof if questioned on entry. Having at least the equivalent of 10k baht in cash would be enough.

There is no visa option that would be possible to avoid doing exempt entries in your case.

On a side note, if you plan to rent a condo long term, that is longer than your two week stay, A) you will probably save a bit of money on the monthly rental; and B, you will be responsible for paying the electric and water. Those bills could be due when your two week work cycle begins. Just something to think about...as your immigration/visa issue really isn't one. Happy travels

Edited by ToS2014