Tiger Temple raided:

Lite Beer

I used to go there years ago when there was only a couple of tigers, strangely nobody said anything. Seems to me as though it's the usual jealousy game, probably end up in China on someones dinner table.......... Sad........

It is not strange that nobody said anything back then because there was apparently nothing untoward going on, they had just taken in a couple of rescued tigers. That changed when they mysteriously obtained 1/3 of Thailands believed wild tiger population and since, many people have said something. Nothing to do with jealousy and everything to do with their concern for the animals.

One of my biggest regrets was going to this place.

Those animals should be living full lives in the national parks, not dosed up for pictures with tourists. I hope this place is shut down for good.

THey can't EVER be released into the wild!

True, but that is no reason for them to be drugged up as play things for ignorant tourists.

I have heard complaints about this place for the last 5 years. Glad the government responded so quickly....

5 years - you have to be joking! - it has been criticised since its inception

In 1996 shortly after it all began they had 6 tigers and the abbot claimed they were all 'orphans' of tigers poached on the Thai-Myanmar border. 19 years later there are 100 tigers and the government has only just acted on the knowledge that conservation agencies had for a long time that tigers are being trafficked through this facility to other countries ( Lao is the destination for most tigers traded out of the tiger temple). It's part of an international smuggling ring with connections to influential people, perhaps now those people are slightly less influential than in the past hence the bust is now possible....

I have heard complaints about this place for the last 5 years. Glad the government responded so quickly....

5 years - you have to be joking! - it has been criticised since its inception
In 1996 shortly after it all began they had 6 tigers and the abbot claimed they were all 'orphans' of tigers poached on the Thai-Myanmar border. 19 years later there are 100 tigers and the government has only just acted on the knowledge that conservation agencies had for a long time that tigers are being trafficked through this facility to other countries ( Lao is the destination for most tigers traded out of the tiger temple). It's part of an international smuggling ring with connections to influential people, perhaps now those people are slightly less influential than in the past hence the bust is now possible....

And here is the link to the information on tiger trade and tiger mistreatment at the tiger temple http://www.careforthewild.com/what-we-do/campaigns/temple-of-lies/

One things for sure if they released and looked after in a conservationists way the well being of these tigers into a national park, then I'd pay extra to visit the park. In a jeep with armed park rangers for security, of course.

The tigers have lived their entire lives in cages being fed dead chickens. If released into the wild or a semi wild situation they would quickly die of starvation but before that they would likely take out the closest tourists

One things for sure if they released and looked after in a conservationists way the well being of these tigers into a national park, then I'd pay extra to visit the park. In a jeep with armed park rangers for security, of course.

The tigers have lived their entire lives in cages being fed dead chickens. If released into the wild or a semi wild situation they would quickly die of starvation but before that they would likely take out the closest tourists

That isn't the main reason - the tigers are probably hybrids or interbred and they would damage the gene pool of the indigenous sub-species - probably brining bout their extinction.

As you say, they wouldn't know how to survive, but on top of that they have no real fear of humans so would look for "easy" food in areas where they are accustomed to find it - e.g. in areas where humans are.. they would prey on anything that doesn't/can't move out of the way.

Tigers are the apex predators in a large and complex eco-system - if they are removed the system slowly degenerates and most of the other species die off - this of course includes prey but also plants.

yet again let me emphasise - THESE ANIMALS CAN NEVER BE RELEASED INTO THE WILD!!!!

• Like 2

One of my biggest regrets was going to this place.

Those animals should be living full lives in the national parks, not dosed up for pictures with tourists. I hope this place is shut down for good.

THey can't EVER be released into the wild!

True, but that is no reason for them to be drugged up as play things for ignorant tourists.

Nobody is suggesting that - there are many who have suggested how the temple needs to be changed. management first followed by a gradual string of changes.

I also concerns me that people dwell on the drugging issue. Firstly it has never been proved....secondly it distracts from the main issues....

... it isn't actually central to the damage caused by the temple - it is symptomatic of the way that unscrupulous people handle large animals - but it is the breeding program and the false claims of conservation along with the sub-standard housing that are the most worrying.

• Like 1

The most worrying thing is the amount of animal rights, PETA, save the whales hippies there are these days. Its this species that should be caged in a temple, fed dead chickens and interbred for the pleasure of the monks and tourists. I'd have my picture taken with one as long as they'd been doped before.

The most worrying thing is the amount of animal rights, PETA, save the whales hippies there are these days. Its this species that should be caged in a temple, fed dead chickens and interbred for the pleasure of the monks and tourists. I'd have my picture taken with one as long as they'd been doped before.

i don't think that stereotyping people is helpful at all.

What is the point you are trying to make? Are you suggesting that the Tiger temple is an OK institution or these "stereotypes" you talk of are making it all up?

Did you know there is a tiger facility in khao yai np ? Maybe they will end up there.

firstly I don't think they are being moved and secondly there are over one hundred Tigers - do you think they have room there? what sort of "facility" is it?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Did you know there is a tiger facility in khao yai np ? Maybe they will end up there.

firstly I don't think they are being moved and secondly there are over one hundred Tigers - do you think they have room there? what sort of "facility" is it?

several big cages.....already got inmates but...maybe waiting for china

Cages?? where is this facility? There are probably no wild tigers in Khao Yai - in neighbouring parks maybe, so why are they holding tigers in cages there? is it within the park itself?

do you have any photos of this?

i also can't see the point in moving the animals to cages when they are already in cages......it would seem pretty pointless - it seems to me that IF and it's a big 'if" they were going to be dispersed it would need to be to a large open zoo where they could move about.I would think this hasn't been arranged and would take months even years to organise.

Yes, went there quite innocently a few months ago when visiting the a River Kwai bridge. Arrived at the site and was met by people from an animal cruelty organisation handing out leaflets about the place. If the pamphlets are correct it is horrifying what goes on.

They even said that many if the men weren't monks at all and it was not a sanctuary but a business in profiteering.

Didn't go in and left as did some others and put a message on Facebook so I am pleased to see something happen there.

A rare well done to the Thai authorities

profiteering.. like all zoos in the world today.

Definitely NOT like other zoos

Cages?? where is this facility? There are probably no wild tigers in Khao Yai - in neighbouring parks maybe, so why are they holding tigers in cages there? is it within the park itself?

i also can't see the point in moving the animals to cages when they are already in cages......it would seem pretty pointless - it seems to me that IF and it's a big 'if" they were going to be dispersed it would need to be to a large open zoo where they could move about.I would think this hasn't been arranged and would take months even years to organise.

post-190927-0-15004800-1423483113_thumb.

attachicon.gif20131205_111145(1).jpg

sorry but if that is actually a cage in khao Yai - it clearly isn't suitable for taking the tigers from the temple - i don't actually think the place you are talking of exists though does it? do you have n address or map reference?

why are they keeping tigers in cages in Khao yai?

I used to go there years ago when there was only a couple of tigers, strangely nobody said anything. Seems to me as though it's the usual jealousy game, probably end up in China on someones dinner table.......... Sad........

"Jealousy"???? - more like a tit-for-tat thing or some kind of retribution for an undelivered "promise"?

Yeah i can see the sign now, "Somchai and sons tiger temple" Thai's 50 Baht, FALANGS 2000 Baht ! Trouble is i'd like to think that i was being cynical, unfortunately it's probably true......... Look out for it Gentlemen, newly opened Tiger park attraction, with recently liberated Tigers from Kanchanaburi..............

"Jealousy"???? - more like a tit-for-tat thing or some kind of retribution for an undelivered "promise"?

Yeah i can see the sign now, "Somchai and sons tiger temple" Thai's 50 Baht, FALANGS 2000 Baht ! Trouble is i'd like to think that i was being cynical, unfortunately it's probably true......... Look out for it Gentlemen, newly opened Tiger park attraction, with recently liberated Tigers from Kanchanaburi..............

there was a plan to open a branch in Pattaya. .....and one wonders about the "zoo" in Phuket too.

there is undoubtedly a very big "Tiger Industry" in Thailand - Who operates it and how is a matter for speculation, but Im sure it would be very hard to monitor all the captive tigers within these businesses.

Can't they be slowly rehabilitated into the wild? I seem to remember reading it happening to captive lions years ago somewhere.

Can't they be slowly rehabilitated into the wild? I seem to remember reading it happening to captive lions years ago somewhere.

How many times does it have to be said? YOU CAN'T RELEASE THOSE TIGERS INTO THE WILD - they are an ecological time bomb.

the best you could ever do is release them into a large "tiger-proof" enclosure.

it is also inaccurate to suggest that they would starve - that has little or nothing to do with it.

Edited by cumgranosalum

How many times does it have to be said? YOU CAN'T RELEASE THOSE TIGERS INTO THE WILD - they are an ecological time bomb.

the best you could ever do is release them into a large "tiger-proof" enclosure.

it is also inaccurate to suggest that they would starve - that has little or nothing to do with it.

On the contrary if tigers accustomed to being hand fed are released into a wild or semi wild situation they will not be able to find food as they never learnt hunting behaviour. They will indeed die of starvation!!

On the contrary if tigers accustomed to being hand fed are released into a wild or semi wild situation they will not be able to find food as they never learnt hunting behaviour. They will indeed die of starvation!!

Look - firstly they can't be released because they are hybrids or inbred - they would damage or even destroy the sub-species gene-pool in the wild. So your concerns about "starving" are both inaccurate and irrelevant.

You really aren't getting the whole picture - they won't starve they will have to be killed for obvious reasons - their ability in hunting is not the problem - if you release tigers into the wild that are accustomed to humans may well not be good at hunting in the wild however they still have the basic instincts - SO - they will go in search of food in areas that it is easy to catch or scavenge - i.e. farms etc and they will not avoid humans either. Such confrontation will inevitably lead to the destruction of those tigers and any other tigers who happen to be nearby as well.

Tigers are in general solitary animals and they have basic instincts for hunting which even the temple understands - their instinct is to creep up from behind and grab the neck of their prey - this has not been lost by the tigers at the temple. i've witnessed a couple of hair-raising incidents their with a small foal and watched several tigers instinctively adopt the hunting pose. Believe me, they will still hunt but they won't stay clear of humans and their property.

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 1

sorry but if that is actually a cage in khao Yai - it clearly isn't suitable for taking the tigers from the temple - i don't actually think the place you are talking of exists though does it? do you have n address or map reference?

believe what you want sunshine...whats hard to believe....experienced thai enviromental and wildlife professional management experts taking care of such animals in shown conditions ??

believe what you want sunshine...whats hard to believe....experienced thai enviromental and wildlife professional management experts taking care of such animals in shown conditions ??

I don't follow - what do you mean "show conditions"?? Tiger are wild animals they don't go to shows........i think you don't know what you re talking about

• Like 1