Retirement visa and 90 day rule

I have been issued a retirement visa and my stay in Thailand is 12 weeks and 2 days. Will I need to report before my departure ? Can This be done at a police station as I will not be near an immigration office?

Also, once the one year is up, what do I need to do to renew my retirement visa? Is it a case of going to immigration with proof of income or do I have to supply all the paper work and have a public notary check it again? I'm Australian. Thanks if you can help.

You have an O-A visa issued overseas and arrived and obtained a one year permitted to stay stamp? Day of arrival is day one of 90 day in Thailand address reporting requirement. You must report before your next scheduled departure it that will be more than 90 days. You report to the immigration office that your living abode comes under and in most cases this can be done by mail.

For return hope you have a multi entry O-A visa to obtain a new one year stay - if not you will require a re-entry permit to keep current stay alive.

If you have an O-A visa obtained in your home country,

1. You do not need to do any 90 day report unless and only if, you have been in Thailand for 90 consecutive days. So you do not need to do a report. You can't do these reports at police stations.

2. Your visa gives a 1 year permission to stay each time you enter, therefore if you leave and enter one day before the "use by" date you will get an entire year permission to stay, giving you two years stay on the visa. After this you apply for further one year extensions of your permission to stay, and for this you only need the financial qualifications, and no police or medical certificates.

3. Once you have passed the "use by " date of your visa, but are within your one year permission to stay period, if you want to leave Thailand and return, you must buy a re-entry permit, as you no longer have permission to enter ( a visa), even though you have permission to stay.

• Like 1

You will need to make a report before leaving or risk being fined 2,000 baht for not making report when you first do. As said you can get almost two years stay from your current visa by making a new entry just before it expires. After that you extend yearly at immigration office servicing your location by filling out TM.7 form/photo/proof of financials in Thailand and copies of passport/arrival card and perhaps proof of where you reside. Simple process without medical or more than signed copies. Cost is 1,900 baht but for travel you will re quire re-entry permit prior to leaving at 1,000 baht or 3,800 baht multi entry.

You will need to make a report before leaving or risk being fined 2,000 baht for not making report when you first do. As said you can get almost two years stay from your current visa by making a new entry just before it expires. After that you extend yearly at immigration office servicing your location by filling out TM.7 form/photo/proof of financials in Thailand and copies of passport/arrival card and perhaps proof of where you reside. Simple process without medical or more than signed copies. Cost is 1,900 baht but for travel you will re quire re-entry permit prior to leaving at 1,000 baht or 3,800 baht multi entry.

Sorry, am I missing something here? OP says his stay will be 12 weeks and 2 days, and this is 86 days only, so no need for 90-day report at all?

Math challenged when re-reading - was thinking 3 months and 2 days so if it will be less than the 90 days total from day of arrival counting as day one no report would be required.

Was correct with first reply "You must report before your next scheduled departure if that will be more than 90 days."

Sorry for adding confusion.

did this the 90 day report the other day. 40 waiting people before me in the cue at around 8.45 was out the door before 9.30am. quick painless.

but bottom of the form said 5000 baht fine not 2000 as mentioned.

have you noticed the two topping (gaaeng rat khao) for 30 baht in the cafeteria on the ground floor. havent seen that price elsewhere for quite a while.

only problem is the cute customers trying to help you. dont fall for any of it, they are only after your cheese sausage

oh yes bag scan machine is broken so if you are into a little bombing, now is the time. lol

Edited by rabid old goat

did this the 90 day report the other day. 40 waiting people before me in the cue at around 8.45 was out the door before 9.30am. quick painless.

but bottom of the form said 5000 baht fine not 2000 as mentioned.

have you noticed the two topping (gaaeng rat khao) for 30 baht in the cafeteria on the ground floor. havent seen that price elsewhere for quite a while.

only problem is the cute customers trying to help you. dont fall for any of it, they are only after your cheese sausage

oh yes bag scan machine is broken so if you are into a little bombing, now is the time. lol

You can't assume there is one Immigration office in the whole of Thailand, nor that your readers are telepathic so know where you happen to be!

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have counted the days not assuming 3 months = 90 days. Thanks for your replies. The system is not very straight forward ! Is there a Thai web site to access TM.7 forms etc ?

Immigration website form download page. Click on the the Adobe logo for PDF version. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Hi,

I hold a US passport and am here on a non-immigrant O-A multiple entry visa. The Enter Before date on the visa is Nov. 11, 2015. I entered on Nov. 29, 2014 and am permitted to stay until Nov. 28, 2015. The 90 days after my entry will fall on Feb. 27.

Following from the postings above, may I clarify two things:

1. If I leave the country before Feb. 27, i.e., before 90 consecutive days here, then I do not need to do the 90-day reporting? And when I return to Thailand, the 90-day count starts again? So if I travel often enough, then I never need to do the 90-day reporting during the one-year period? If so, is all this officially spelled out in writing somewhere? The website of the embassy where I got the visa only says, "At the end of the 90-day stay, the foreign must report ... and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand."

2.To get the effective two-year stay on this visa, I must leave and then re-enter Thailand the day before the Enter Before date (Nov. 11), not the last permitted to stay date (Nov. 28), correct? And once I get stamped for another year, my multiple re-entry status expires and I must get re-entries at Immigration in Bangkok? Then I will be able to purchase a multiple-entry permission (however many times I wish to re-enter), or only separate re-entries? And when you get stamped for another year, there is no requirement of showing funds, medical certificate, etc., again? And what are the pros and cons of re-entering before the last days and getting another year versus going to Immigration to request extension of the visa for another year?

Thank you for your advice.

Hi,

I hold a US passport and am here on a non-immigrant O-A multiple entry visa. The Enter Before date on the visa is Nov. 11, 2015. I entered on Nov. 29, 2014 and am permitted to stay until Nov. 28, 2015. The 90 days after my entry will fall on Feb. 27.

1. If I leave the country before Feb. 27, i.e., before 90 consecutive days here, then I do not need to do the 90-day reporting? And when I return to Thailand, the 90-day count starts again? So if I travel often enough, then I never need to do the 90-day reporting during the one-year period? If so, is all this officially spelled out in writing somewhere? The website of the embassy where I got the visa only says, "At the end of the 90-day stay, the foreign must report ... and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand."

2.To get the effective two-year stay on this visa, I must leave and then re-enter Thailand the day before the Enter Before date (Nov. 11), not the last permitted to stay date (Nov. 28), correct? And once I get stamped for another year, my multiple re-entry status expires and I must get re-entries at Immigration in Bangkok? Then I will be able to purchase a multiple-entry permission (however many times I wish to re-enter), or only separate re-entries? And when you get stamped for another year, there is no requirement of showing funds, medical certificate, etc., again? And what are the pros and cons of re-entering before the last days and getting another year versus going to Immigration to request extension of the visa for another year?

1. It is a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country. If you leave the country on or before the 90 day point you do not need to do a report. Your report would be due 90 days from the date you enter the county including that date in the count.

2. You must do the last entry on or before the enter before date. After that date you need a re-entry permit. With a multiple re-entry permit you can do unlimited entries and get a permit to stay date equal to the last one you got from the visa before it expired. Nothing more than your passport and arrival card will be needed when you do an entry.

The are no cons from stretching your stay to almost two years.by doing the entry. The main pro is not needing to put money in the bank until 2 months before you do the extension of the last entry or having to go home to get a new visa.

Hi,

1. It is a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country. If you leave the country on or before the 90 day point you do not need to do a report. Your report would be due 90 days from the date you enter the county including that date in the count.

2. You must do the last entry on or before the enter before date. After that date you need a re-entry permit. With a multiple re-entry permit you can do unlimited entries and get a permit to stay date equal to the last one you got from the visa before it expired. Nothing more than your passport and arrival card will be needed when you do an entry.

The are no cons from stretching your stay to almost two years.by doing the entry. The main pro is not needing to put money in the bank until 2 months before you do the extension of the last entry or having to go home to get a new visa.

If I enter before the Enter Before Date, is my multiple re-entry permit extended for one year along with my permission to stay? Or do I only get one-year extension of stay and I must go to Immigration to purchase a multiple-entry visa?

Thank you for your help.

If I enter before the Enter Before Date, is my multiple re-entry permit extended for one year along with my permission to stay? Or do I only get one-year extension of stay and I must go to Immigration to purchase a multiple-entry visa?

Thank you for your help.

When you do that last entry you will get a new one year permit to stay (it is not an extension). Your visa will then expire along with the multiple entries allowed from it.

You have to go to an immigration office and apply for a re-entry permit to keep that one year permit to stay valid when you leave and re-enter the country.

• 4 weeks later...

1. I entered the kingdom on Dec 9 and plan on traveling abroad starting on March 10th. I counted the days and unfortunately it adds up to 91. But the Thai immigration site says you can make the report up 14 days early or 7 days late. Does this mean I am OK to leave without reporting?

2. I have a multi entry Non-Im O-A. I know that if one is on a "long stay extension" they need to get a re-entry permit. Don't know exactly what that phrase "long stay extension" means. If I haven't yet reached 90 days in country, am I on it? Or maybe I'm on it the minute I was stamped in? A clarification on that would be greatly appreciated.

3. If I do need the re-entry permit, can I get it at Swampy on the day of my departure?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

1. I entered the kingdom on Dec 9 and plan on traveling abroad starting on March 10th. I counted the days and unfortunately it adds up to 91. But the Thai immigration site says you can make the report up 14 days early or 7 days late. Does this mean I am OK to leave without reporting?

2. I have a multi entry Non-Im O-A. I know that if one is on a "long stay extension" they need to get a re-entry permit. Don't know exactly what that phrase "long stay extension" means. If I haven't yet reached 90 days in country, am I on it? Or maybe I'm on it the minute I was stamped in? A clarification on that would be greatly appreciated.

3. If I do need the re-entry permit, can I get it at Swampy on the day of my departure?

A 90 day report is required when 90 days are spent in the Kingdom . The window of 15 days prior to 7 days after the report is due is simply that, a

window during which the law must be complied with.

IF you have a a valid mult- entry O-A visa then a re-entry permit is not required.

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

1. you can mail the report. Even if you do not do that, it's quite possible that it will be not noticed, or fined.

2. check "enter before" date of you visa. If earlier than you planned return date, you do not need a re-entry permit. After that date, you will need it.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

1.The 7 days after is only for reporting. You need to do a report if you leave after the report date. My count shows your report is due the 8th. Did you include the date you entered the country in your count.

2. You do not need a re-entry permit until after the enter before date on your visa. It will be needed then to keep you last one year entry valid if leave the country.

• Like 1

1. You must do the report- the 14 days early or 7 days late are times permitted to do the report, they are not allowed days of extra stay without doing the report. A stay of 90 days triggers the obligation-they allow you extra days to fulfil the obligation, not excuse you of it.

2. You are not on any kind of extension. Your visa allows you a one year entry each time you use it to enter the country (a visa can be thought of as a document giving you permission to enter a country). Attached to that permission to enter is a permission to stay period - for your type of visa this is one year. Once your visa has expired (on the "use by date") you have no valid visa, but if you are in the country you can apply to be allowed to stay longer in the country. This is a "long term extension".

Only people on a long term extension need a re-entry permit if they leave the country, because they have a permission to stay if they don't leave, but no permission to enter ( a current visa). Therefore people who wish to leave and return on an extension period must buy a re-entry permit to allow them back into the country with this extension period intact.

This would only apply to you when your current visa validity period ("use by" date NOT "permission to stay until" date) has expired.

• Like 1