Americans in Thailand, how do you feel?

willyumiii

We all share the same planet. Who cares which bit of it you happened to be born on?

This is more like it, the whole patriotism thing is very overrated.

It's there for people who are generally incapable of independent thought and are easily lead by someone who's probably 'waving a flag and carrying a cross'.

wink.png

That belief is going to bite Europe in the butt as it becomes a Muslim state and yearns for the day when a Brit was a Brit and a German was a German.

Birds of a feather like to flock together but the nations of Europe are disappearing, their economies and cultures are in shambles and in 30 years they'll be bowing to Mecca, afraid not to appease the ME countries which have oil.

• Like 1

How are relationships between the US and Thailand getting bad OP? I am not being a smart ass, but haven't read anything to suggest this. My ignorance no doubt.

Actually I just googled it out of curiosity and found a number of articles about treaties, free trade agreements, joint military training.....

Edited by sipi

Haven't noticed anything different in my interactions with Thais.

Yet I do feel an increase in hostility, mostly from those Brits and Aussies who disliked us in the first place. coffee1.gif

The UK and Aus. are tiny with combined populations about 1/4 of the US. Yet they are vastly overrepresented as expats in Thailand. That's because they hate themselves and their countries. As bitter old men they are jealous and have to be bitter toward others.

As bitter old men they are jealous and have to be bitter toward others

Absolute nonsense! the bitter men you talk about do not exist

Yet I do feel an increase in hostility, mostly from those Brits and Aussies who disliked us in the first place. coffee1.gif

The UK and Aus. are tiny with combined populations about 1/4 of the US. Yet they are vastly overrepresented as expats in Thailand. That's because they hate themselves and their countries. As bitter old men they are jealous and have to be bitter toward others.

As bitter old men they are jealous and have to be bitter toward others

Absolute nonsense! the bitter men you talk about do not exist

Who is hijacking their screen names and posting for them, then??

if the good old U S of A is that good whay are so many here, ? and then moan that the think there not being tret as they think they should be

no one going to kiss there a## just because there american

They aren't in Thailand, Jake. There are four times as many Americans in the world as there are Brits and Aussies combined. Are there four times as many American expats in Thailand as there are Aussies and Brits? Of course not.

Agree, on a day to day basis I se far fewer Americans in Thailand than I do Britts, Germans, Australians and others and as NeverSure states, there are far more Americans in the world.

I feel this is due mostly to the fact that Europe and Australia are much closer.

A 20 + hour flight from California is a killer and most Americans are large and very uncomfortable sitting on a plane that long....I am.

and many from the USA need to travel to California before getting on a flight to Thailand.

As to why are we here..... Unlike some countries, Americans are free to travel almost anywhere in the world with few restrictions. We seem to have the financial stability to do so as well.

Personally, I am here to be with my family, most of who are Thai.

And as for the '$$$" as some have commented....The USD is doing pretty well now..from what I read on TV much better than the Ausie, Britt or Euro currency.

Just what is your point about "$$$$"?????

Edited by willyumiii

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I wouldn't let it get to you. they are like spoiled children and cannot take any criticism.They'll be gone as soon as there is an election

Who is "they"?

What are you a copper ? The ruling administration here at the moment

if the good old U S of A is that good whay are so many here, ? and then moan that the think there not being tret as they think they should be

no one going to kiss there a## just because there american

They aren't in Thailand, Jake. There are four times as many Americans in the world as there are Brits and Aussies combined. Are there four times as many American expats in Thailand as there are Aussies and Brits? Of course not.

Agree, on a day to day basis I se far fewer Americans in Thailand than I do Britts, Germans, Australians and others and as NeverSure states, there are far more Americans in the world.

I feel this is due mostly to the fact that Europe and Australia are much closer.

A 20 + hour flight from California is a killer and most Americans are large and very uncomfortable sitting on a plane that long....I am.

and many from the USA need to travel to California before getting on a flight to Thailand.

As to why are we here..... Unlike some countries, Americans are free to travel almost anywhere in the world with few restrictions. We seem to have the financial stability to do so as well.

Personally, I am here to be with my family, most of who are Thai.

And as for the '$$$" as some have commented....The USD is doing pretty well now..from what I read on TV much better than the Ausie, Britt or Euro currency.

Just what is your point about "$$$$"?????

A lot of expats have moved to Thailand and rarely go "home". I go for months at a time and don't mind the flight, or at least don't let it stop me.

If you're asking what my point is about the $$$$, I've forgotten if I mentioned it.

Cheers

I have had the feeling that we were maybe treated a little better in some situations than expats from other counties.

Another from the nanny state with a sense of entitlement complex.

Please tell me why you should recieve preferential treatment, does your $$$ buy more baht than mine.

Head back to Obama land and gives us an update after a few months, I hear Ferguson is a nice place to be these days, especially with an attitide like yours.

"Please tell me why you should recieve preferential treatment, does your $$$ buy more baht than mine."

Is this a serious question?
The U.S. has been Thailand's biggest ally and benefactor for nearly a 100 years. That's why U.S. citizens are treated better here, e.g., can own their own businesses.
You should seriously do some research about Thailand, especially before taking such a superior attitude and telling others to head off back home.
  • Like 1

Don't forget the Iraqi's and the Iranians and the Afghani's and the...................................

Thread's about my experience here in Thailand...though I'm sure you already knew that and just couldn't help yourself.

By the way, since you brought them up: are any of the abovementioned nationalities fans of either the British or the Australians, or of Europeans in general? facepalm.gif

• Like 2

Hopefully that you did not live in Jakarta during end of 90's events.

All my American friends had received emergency notices, from the U.S.A. embassy, to leave Indonesia as soon as possible.

The ones who decided to stay doubled their security staff and had written "pribumi" in front of their Kemang mansions ; before moving temporarily to Bali where life was peaceful as usual.

Being a Belgian myself, I called my embassy to ask what's going on and what to do?!?

An Indonesian clerk answered me that he does not know because all the consular staff where already in Singapore...

So, I moved to Bali as well where I spent the best Christmas and New Year's partties ever... cool.png

• Like 1

Don't forget the Iraqi's and the Iranians and the Afghani's and the...................................

Thread's about my experience here in Thailand...though I'm sure you already knew that and just couldn't help yourself.

By the way, since you brought them up: are any of the abovementioned nationalities fans of either the British or the Australians, or of Europeans in general? facepalm.gif

I was also talking about your experience in Thailand, or haven't you noticed that the nationalities I mentioned in my post have quite a presence in Thailand.

We all share the same planet. Who cares which bit of it you happened to be born on?

Give it a couple hundred more years... If we just keep f##king each other, we will all be the same color, speak the same language and worship the same great heavenly space fairy... The globalists just need to let nature take it's course and quit forcing the matter...