Craigslist Scams

A couple of bikes have caught my eye on craigslist.

It's occurred to me that there is such a thing as a craigslist scammer, and I have no idea how this would play out in the case of purchasing a used motorcycle.

In particular posts like this exist on the bikes page: http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/4866669171.html

Does anyone have any insights into the bangkok craigslist used motorcycle world? What 'scams' are out there?

Cheers

If I bought a used bike, definitely would not give the money until after the transfer. A police offer is cheap enough to rent as the money holder until the title is changed over at the transport office.

I'd also be looking for a new key cylinder before purchase; if it has a HISS style system I'd have that ordered from the dealer. Until it came a heavy chain/padlock as well as a non-friendly dog would be useful.

• Like 1

I recently saw an add for a vehicle on cl. It was pretty much brand new and addvertised for less than half its value. At first I thought it was a take over payment buy. The oldsest advice is the best....If it sounds too good to be true it is.

Cool thanks everyone.

It appears most the CL scammers are the buyers, not the sellers, for obvious reasons.

But when it is a seller, its delivery-after-payment 98% of the time. If you see the seller and bike in person, seems difficult to be scammed from this point.

dave_boo: "A police offer is cheap enough to rent as the money holder until the title is changed over at the transport office."

What's a police offer?

Cool thanks everyone.

It appears most the CL scammers are the buyers, not the sellers, for obvious reasons.

But when it is a seller, its delivery-after-payment 98% of the time. If you see the seller and bike in person, seems difficult to be scammed from this point.

dave_boo: "A police offer is cheap enough to rent as the money holder until the title is changed over at the transport office."

What's a police offer?

They're the fine folks (generally) in brown who selectively enforce laws to suit their needs rather than enhance public safety. See below for a picture.

article-1262836-08F56E8E000005DC-264_634

• 2 weeks later...

Theres 1 or 2 constant scammers on cl and theyre quite easy to spot. No licence plates or plate not visible, obvious background shows its in the usa not thailand, the text is in full usa English ie *clear title* not *green book* plus for a long time 1 dick constantly added the location *yala* to his listings. Demand a photocopy of the green book current owner and the page 18 tax before even thinking of travelling to see a bike.

• Like 1