Thailand boosts military ties with China amid US spat

webfact

Sad to see Thailand moving in this direction, just take a look at China's allies - countries that others won't touch with a barge pole

The new Thailand. They have every right climb into bed with whoever they like. Threesomes like Thailand, Nth Korea and China doesn't seem quite right but it is up to the current Junta. They believe that this is the way to move Thailand forward and if it means dumping the U.S and her allies so be it. I don't think the rest of the world will lose to much sleep over a little country like Thailand becoming China's little play thing.

I am sure people like Costa ' s is out celebrating and waving the Thai flag at this wonderful news.

Hey Chooka, in fact I was out waving the Greek, Chinese and Russian flag.

These are the 2 countries that have offered to help Greece in their difficult times.

Another little insignificant country looking towards China...........

If the EU and the Americans carry on the same policies there will be more little insignificant countries looking towards China.

But the little rain drops become a river and at the end an ocean.......................

But Americans and their followers the EU, don't care.....they are the almighty force in this world, nobody can or has the right to go against them.

We will see...........give it time.

If Thailand went the way of China, a one party state with heavy censorship laws, oppression and an even bigger gap between rich and poor, would you still be willing to live here?

Lildragon, I would like to hear from you, how the heavy censorship or the gap between rich and the poor will affect me or you.

Unrest, like before this government, will definitely affect us and may be we have to move back to our old countries.

In my old age I stopped being the idealist and I am becoming more and more pragmatic.

But did you ever believe that Thailand will become like China?

This a Monarchy, my friend and the leader of this Government has sworn an oath to the Monarch, that he will never brake.

So, lets be more pragmatic............

American foreign policy is mired in scandal, but Christ almighty cosying up to China? With their oppressive regime?

Foreigners here actually support this Junta? Will you guys remain in Thailand if it becomes a complete police state like China?

If that ever happened the Thai's would be leaving as quick as we would.

• Like 1

American foreign policy is mired in scandal, but Christ almighty cosying up to China? With their oppressive regime?

Foreigners here actually support this Junta? Will you guys remain in Thailand if it becomes a complete police state like China?

Well they are Asians dealing with Asians and China really need that rail line for the future movements.

• Like 1

These are the 2 countries that have offered to help Greece in their difficult times.

If the EU and the Americans carry on the same policies there will be more little insignificant countries looking towards China.

But the little rain drops become a river and at the end an ocean.......................

But Americans and their followers the EU, don't care.....they are the almighty force in this world, nobody can or has the right to go against them.

If Thailand went the way of China, a one party state with heavy censorship laws, oppression and an even bigger gap between rich and poor, would you still be willing to live here?

Lildragon, I would like to hear from you, how the heavy censorship or the gap between rich and the poor will affect me or you.

Unrest, like before this government, will definitely affect us and may be we have to move back to our old countries.

In my old age I stopped being the idealist and I am becoming more and more pragmatic.

This a Monarchy, my friend and the leader of this Government has sworn an oath to the Monarch, that he will never brake.

You make some good points, Costas.

So far this is just rhetoric, hot air, they're jockeying for position.

• Like 1

Well they are Asians dealing with Asians and China really need that rail line for the future movements.

Absolutely China needs that rail line, which will hook China up with Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore (potentially VN as well). Thailand is sitting in the middle of it. China will be one of the main drivers, but they don't have to own it.

Sad to see Thailand moving in this direction, just take a look at China's allies - countries that others won't touch with a barge pole

Well, I wouldn't touch Saudi Arabia with a bargepole.

And let's face it - how many wars did China start in the past 50 years?

china's last war was the 1979 sino-vietnamese war, but it lasted 1 month.

The way this is going, you can expect to see even more chopsticks on the table, and less silver (not to mention gold).

Non Chinese investors might want to think more about putting large sums of money at risk here....until Thailand decides which

side of the fence their buffalo need to graze on.

Edited by slipperylobster

The way this is going, you can expect to see even more chopsticks on the table, and less silver (not to mention gold).

Non Chinese investors might want to think more about putting large sums of money at risk here....until Thailand decides which

side of the fence their buffalo need to graze on.

I think they chose "what side of the fence " they wanted long ago.

Before the coup took place those involved must have been aware that the U.S. would never support a military government that was not democratically elected.

They are fully aware of it now, as they postpone elections

They are getting exactly the reaction from the US that they anticipated.

A non elected government will naturally seek alliances with powerful, non elected governments.

This is not happenstance.

Nobody should be surprised.

The new Thailand. They have every right climb into bed with whoever they like. Threesomes like Thailand, Nth Korea and China doesn't seem quite right but it is up to the current Junta. They believe that this is the way to move Thailand forward and if it means dumping the U.S and her allies so be it. I don't think the rest of the world will lose to much sleep over a little country like Thailand becoming China's little play thing.

I am sure people like Costa ' s is out celebrating and waving the Thai flag at this wonderful news.

Went yes it would affect us. This forum, various forms of social media and open search engines would be taken down. The gap between rich and poor LED to all the unrest here, and that's a human issue that should be addressed everywhere but it's so in your face in Thailand.

This regime are only interested in lining their own pockets And consolidating power, Thaksin cosied up to the states yes, but the general is doing it with a truly oppressive Chinese government, I know which I prefer....

As for Thailand becoming Like China, this government has imposed martial law with no end in sight, has increased restrictions on freedom of speech among other things. It's not to China levels yet but the longer these clowns are in charge the more believable it becomes.

Hoping it won't happen though. And I think we will see more civil unrest this year or early next year as the junta keeps stalling on elections and restricting freedoms. They are dinosaurs in a modern area, it will be like what's happening in Hong Kong. Edited by draftvader

........and America hasn't set the conditions for most of the current wars in the middle East through it's interference and invasion of countries that refuse to accept the US ideologies of governance and to protect their energy security!!

You judge the person and not his friends - better they go with a powerful nation that has stated that they will not interfere in Thailand's political situation as they understand what Thailand is trying to do and will support them on security issues in supplying them with arms and through carrying out joint military exercises.

Seems that the US is not as important and vital to Thailand as it thinks it is. Now kick them out of U Tapao for their immoral interference in Thailand's domestic matters. Then we will see 'who needs who'!!

• Like 1

False parallel: if not for the U.S., China would be beating the war drums over the South China Sea.

Touche on the Saudi Arabia comment, though.

Well it's called the South China Sea and not the American Ocean isn't it?

• Like 1

They understand Thailand's situation and will not interfere in 'Thai internal matters' - all this talk of China coming in and taking over Thailand is ridiculous. even laughable!!!

• Like 1

It's not a total police state here in China. For instance, you can drink and smoke inside the McDonald's in China, well some at least. Can't do that where McD's came from.

• Like 1

Judging by the reactions from some I must conclude that they can't see the bigger picture. The" choo choo train" is just a part of of an immense Eurasian network, known as the New Silk Road which can only be beneficial for all concerned. Apart from the US of course but then why should they? Let them focus on their own continent and try to regain some clout there.

Edited by asiamaster
  • Like 1

Judging by the reactions from some I must conclude that they can't see the bigger picture. The" choo choo railway" is just a part of of an immense Eurasian network, known as the New Silk Road which can only be beneficial for all concerned. Apart from the US of course but then why should they? Let them focus on their own continent and try to regain some clout there.

China doesn't operate like that. It's a one-way road with China.

False parallel: if not for the U.S., China would be beating the war drums over the South China Sea.

Touche on the Saudi Arabia comment, though.

Well it's called the South China Sea and not the American Ocean isn't it?

I see. In that case, all the Indian Ocean should belong to India.

On a more serious note: I'm sure you're aware that the U.S. is helping to protect its ally Japan, as well as the many smaller nations which can't properly defend themselves. To them, the U.S.'s presence is a welcome counterbalance to China's might.

That's a crucial distinction to make. Especially to those who would insinuate that the U.S. is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

Interesting to see that you mention the main players in the "New Silk Road" project and yes indeed on one end it will be Thailand and on the other end Turkey/ Greece. I've written an article about this recently which I will post below.

EURASIAN INTEGRATION – ONLY ONCE YOU GET A SECOND CHANCE….

As a 4th generation Dutchman living in Asia, I have always been a staunch supporter of Eurasian initiatives.

It just needs some geographical knowledge and some understanding of logistics (which I believe many people lack…) to see that the New Silk Road would be the way to go. I could add that understanding and accepting cultural differences is essential but that’s another story….

Overland transport of goods by train obviously makes a lot more sense than shipping. It is both shorter and faster.

At the height of the Belle Époque, Germans and Russians were already planning a railway from Berlin to Moscow, and that would end on both the Siberian coast of the Pacific and in Beijing.The Belle Époque ( French for "Beautiful Era") was a period in the European history that is conventionally dated as starting in 1871 and ending when World War I began in 1914. It was a period characterized by optimism, peace, new technology and scientific discoveries, which unfortunately came to an abrupt end and was followed by 3 decades of economic crisis and wars.

The second half of the 20th Century saw the fall of the European colonial empires and the rise of US Imperialism. It may come as no surprise that after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991 the United States former National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski set out to formulate a Eurasian strategy for the United States in his book The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives, which was published in 1997. Ukraine was to play the role of a critically important geopolitical pivot and a neutral Ukraine would only have to gain by positioning itself as a privileged crossroads between the EU and the proposed Eurasian Union - as well as becoming a key node of the Chinese New Silk Road. Instead, the Kiev regime betted on acceptance into the EU and becoming a NATO forward base.

Obviously Brzezinski had not anticipated the rise of chess grandmaster Vladimir Putin, nor did the United States realise the speed that China not only would rise as an economic powerhouse but would also transform into a open society.

So how important is Ukraine still in this all? Not much I would say. Russia had already devised the South Stream pipeline to bypass unreliable Ukraine as a gas transit nation but was continuously hindered by the “non-constructive” (Putin’s words) approach of the European Commission. Consequently in a surprise move Russia decided to move the line even further south - now redirected to Turkey and, crucially, pumping the same amount of gas South Stream would. The redirection makes total business sense as Turkey is Gazprom’s second biggest customer after Germany and much bigger than Bulgaria, Hungary, and Austria combined.

The New Silk Road will now stretch from Vladivostok, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou (and even Bangkok and Singapore once the planned high speed railways are completed) all the way to the gateway between Europe and Asia: Istanbul.

Europe has been given a second chance… UP TO YOU!

• Like 1

Funny! When someone mentions censorship laws and a huge gap between rich and poor Thailand comes to my mind.

There are plenty of foreigners living and working in China (but not so much into buying girlfriend/wives and building homes for their families). They are certainly higher

quality foreigners that Thailand so despereately wishes it had.

China is going up, US going down. Very simple logic for Thais to follow.

US/EU had centuries to do something in Africa, but didn't. Now they are crying like babies that China is investing there.

All the US and their EU minions are doing is printing money and distributing it all over the world for good that poorer nations are producing.

The free ride will eventually stop. Thais see it and adjust accordingly. There is no need to stick with a loser till the bitter end.

• Like 2

On a more serious note: I'm sure you're aware that the U.S. is helping to protect its ally Japan, as well as the many smaller nations which can't properly defend themselves. To them, the U.S.'s presence is a welcome counterbalance to China's might.

That's a crucial distinction to make. Especially to those who would insinuate that the U.S. is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

Ask Afganis, Syrians, Iraqis, Argentinians, Nicaraguans, etc how they liked US help and protection. I think they'll trade it for Chinese help any day.

• Like 2

Ask Afganis, Syrians, Iraqis, Argentinians, Nicaraguans, etc how they liked US help and protection. I think they'll trade it for Chinese help any day.

Go ask someone what a non sequitur is. It might help prevent you from making such absurd statments.

"I think they'll trade it for Chinese help any day."

So the countries in territorial disputes with China will ask the Chinese for protection...from China?crazy.gif