Weather

TBWG

Issan is a VERY large area. I live 50 kilometers south of Muang Loei and we have had no more than just adequate rain with no storms. I have a friend who routinely calls me and asks me how bad the storm is. He says the weather report says that we have damaging winds and torrential rain. WHERE??

Hi

Just looked at the radar image for Isaan. looks like you are having a bad time at the moment, is that correct?

TBWG :o

Yes - large amount of rain recently.

The worst hit Loei just over a week ago with farms in low lying areas (e.g. myself at the base of the NationalPark - between 2 sets of hills!) getting a drenching we haven't had for sometime.

Indications are that more is on the way for September - and by more I mean more than usual for this time of the year.

Are we heading for another El Nino (were you around in 1997??), or will next dry season turn out to be a La Nina (when the Pacific warms up) and we get exceptionaly dry conditions in the North East.

All weather prophets with correct predictions - name your "tamboon"

Tim

"It all according to the weather" said my farming mentor 45 years ago and its still true to day!

Korat's rain seems to fall mainly in the afternoon.

My morning constitutional has only been interrupted once, but lightening comes often too.

Where are the weather stations in the region?

Do they publish year on year/month on month figures?

How accurate are they?

Are their any budding meterologists around keeping their own records.

Astronomy. There are some very bright stars in the early morning sky which would be interesting to map. Does anyone have a telescope and keen eye?

Edited by Korat Correct

I use:

http://www.tmd.go.th/index_eng.php

This is the Thai Met Department Homepage, and to be more exact - for Isaan/North east area go to

http://www.tmd.go.th/~rwcne/

But there is another page - somewhwere - which is predominently in Thai, and from that page you can id individual weather stations/points which may be little more than remote/unmanned/isolated instrument boxes that collect/collate all the data that is used to make up the daily weather forecasts, and look specifically at the raw met data it is collecting........

I have a sneaky feeling it is somewhere on the Hydrological website as the box I have on my property is right down on the river bank, and measures river height and water flow, as well as the weather.

Its been in place since 1951.

...............now thats one Thai Dept that I think has its act together rather well - the Thai met office.

My experiance of their reporting/forecasting is that it is quite accurate.

Tim