Thank god for "mom and pop" shops

lj cm

I would gladly support mom and pop, but they tend not to have CokeZero/PepsiMax, but much worse than that is they often wind up with all the old beer. So yeah, I would pay pop 580 for a case of Leos, instead of 568, but not if pop's beers are born in November and Tesco has some born on January 24th. A few are real good about the coldness.....

I was in a large shopping mall the other day and decided to have lunch in a Sante Fe restaurant at 2.15pm.

No beer and worse still no soda water.

I gave up and retired to a Farang bar for a Heineken and a curry for half the price

I was in a large shopping mall the other day and decided to have lunch in a Sante Fe restaurant at 2.15pm.

No beer and worse still no soda water.

I gave up and retired to a Farang bar for a Heineken and a curry for half the price

They clamping down on soda water sales now? O-M-G!!!!

• Like 2

The one in the market opposite me has a regular customer for 2 large Changs @ 50 Bht each. The Mom points me to the fridge with the coldest ones as she has to refill the beer fridges 2 or 3 times a day. Old beer? Not with her turnover!

For me , that would be the signal to use that shop everytime , even if it was a few baht more.

A few baht more! You're willing to pay not one or two but a few baht more? You're obviously new in Chiang Mai. I'll give you another six months and then you'll be traipsing to the far side of town to save one baht, never mind a few.

I'm waiting for the moral majority to point out that this is totally illegal and that as Guest In Thailand (GITs) we shouldn't be breaking the law or encouraging others to do so. Not forgetting the Hygiene Issues as well. Do Mom or Pop wear hairnets? I bet they don't, and I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that they have a dog in the vicinity and young girls brushing their hair.

• Like 1

Mom and pop shops seem to not give a <deleted> about rules and regulations. I've seen little kids inside of them buying booze and smokes on religious holidays.

Good. Very well then. Down with the authoritarian nanny state. Edited by arunsakda

Haha, good morning to you too. Actually there's nothing self-righteous in my advice. I don't refer to myself at all. Perhaps you would like to infer that my underlying attitude, if not my particular words, is self-righteous. That's your choice, but my intention was straightforward: to suggest that someone who giddily, breathlessly, boasts to a collection of complete strangers that he succeeded in buying two bottles and one can of beer, then capped this domestic triumph by guzzling a can in situ, might have a problematic relationship with alcohol. A man with a drinking problem usually needs it pointed out to them, irrespective of the chorus cheering the demise of his liver.

Now, as to your calling me a jerk, telling me to get a life, I am not offended. We could all spend a whole days dreaming up schoolyard insults, and a web forum makes it easy. So easy that it can be hard to resist. One might pop off an insult on the spot, when the better course is to discretely put those thoughts on ice and chill.

Haha, good morning to you too. Actually there's nothing self-righteous in my advice. I don't refer to myself at all. Perhaps you would like to infer that my underlying attitude, if not my particular words, is self-righteous. That's your choice, but my intention was straightforward: to suggest that someone who giddily, breathlessly, boasts to a collection of complete strangers that he succeeded in buying two bottles and one can of beer, then capped this domestic triumph by guzzling a can in situ, might have a problematic relationship with alcohol. A man with a drinking problem usually needs it pointed out to them, irrespective of the chorus cheering the demise of his liver.

Now, as to your calling me a jerk, telling me to get a life, I am not offended. We could all spend a whole days dreaming up schoolyard insults, and a web forum makes it easy. So easy that it can be hard to resist. One might pop off an insult on the spot, when the better course is to discretely put those thoughts on ice and chill.

Recovering alcoholic???

It was just a funny story. Take it or leave (ignore) it!.
  • Like 1

I love stopping at my particular favorite "mom and pop" when I'm in Chiang Mai. Many will have a small table and a few chairs in front as mine does. Many's a time I've sat and knocked back a quick small can at the table before continuing on with a couple of purchased bottles in a bag. Thank you for pointing out that this may be a sign of perhaps a problematic relationship with alcohol but hey. I've been in worse relationships.
  • Like 2

As a thanks for loyal custom my local Mom and Pop gave me their wifi login and password yesterday evening. So not only can I have a nice ice cold beer, with chicken skin scratchings from the market, but I can surf the web as well.

• Like 1

I love stopping at my particular favorite "mom and pop" when I'm in Chiang Mai. Many will have a small table and a few chairs in front as mine does. Many's a time I've sat and knocked back a quick small can at the table before continuing on with a couple of purchased bottles in a bag. Thank you for pointing out that this may be a sign of perhaps a problematic relationship with alcohol but hey. I've been in worse relationships.

you could always pay double and watch some single moms play candycrush or listen to a "nice" farang bar owner tell you how much money he is making off people like you........my philosophy is to find the places with cold/fresh beer, and a friendly (but firm) owner, and the rest will take care of itself. The guys who aren't a little firm give &lt;deleted&gt; credit and are short lived. Sometimes the mature lady will keep order.

Mom and pop shops seem to not give a <deleted> about rules and regulations. I've seen little kids inside of them buying booze and smokes on religious holidays.

Good. Very well then. Down with the authoritarian nanny state.

Amen. I always try to support the little shops over the large cooperate ones that close when instructed. Usually better prices too.

Paying a few Bahts more is worth it for a M&P shop that gives us a little character drinking venue,ice cold Beers,mostly,friendly,pleasant, Farang company,open air drinking,and some will supply a fan,and just sit there and watch the world go by,what more do you need???

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1