What makes Thailand a third world country?

theguyfromanotherforum

The OP cites public transport for his ill informed and ignorant remarks. He obviously hasnt used it very much and certainly cannot read Thai let alone understand anything that is going on around him. When i first came to Thailand, i found it delightful how the conductor on the buses would announce that a child was getting on and for the driver to take extra care - mee dek duay! Then how gorgeous it was and how surprising when adults would get up for children as they still do. The lack of pushing and shoving despite the crowds showed the inherent politeness and how good, despite the heat, that everyone seemed to have just showered. And of course there are signs everywhere in Thai, maybe because this is Thailand, for people to give up seats for the elderly, monks etc etc. If this is the third world I will take it any time.

• Like 2

The OP cites public transport for his ill informed and ignorant remarks. He obviously hasnt used it very much and certainly cannot read Thai let alone understand anything that is going on around him. When i first came to Thailand, i found it delightful how the conductor on the buses would announce that a child was getting on and for the driver to take extra care - mee dek duay! Then how gorgeous it was and how surprising when adults would get up for children as they still do. The lack of pushing and shoving despite the crowds showed the inherent politeness and how good, despite the heat, that everyone seemed to have just showered. And of course there are signs everywhere in Thai, maybe because this is Thailand, for people to give up seats for the elderly, monks etc etc. If this is the third world I will take it any time.

I don't speak Thai but have eyes and can see when people fall over each other. I don't speak Thai but can see when people try to exit the bus while the vehicle is still moving. I don't speak Thai, but I had to flee from 2 busses because they caught fire. I don't speak Thai, but witnessed a driver run over a girl while trying to enter the bus. He just continued driving but was later stopped by police because someone probably reported him. We were told by police to get off the bus and find our own way home.

I find that certain people will start making any sort of stupid argument to justify their existence in Thailand. Like people don't get up for the elderly in the west or are somehow impolite. Total high horse expat bs. I wasn't talking about people inside the bus and how they behave. I'm stating my opinion about public bus service in Bangkok, Thailand. You however are laughably judgmental.

I don't speak Thai, lol.

Sorry...555

Bangkok has a public transport infrastructure which rivals that of the first world. Skytrain is amazing, the highways road system is above average etc.

I've traveled around the world to 30+ countries and I can't think of a place which has a better public transport system than BKK.

You arrive at the airport and then can jump on a train into the city connect with the BTS and then onto the MRT and go just about anywhere you'd likely want to go.

Then you've got the klongs, the boats, the buses, the bikes, the taxis, the tuk tuks etc. It's endless.

And the MRT and BTS are far cleaner and more efficient than most other major cities undergrounds / subways etc. It's hard to believe the BTS is in Thailand sometime.

*Deleted post edited out*

So you think it's OK for busses to be in deplorable condition where drivers don't have any responsibility for the passengers? That makes it a third world in my book.

BTW...I was born in a third world country so I know what it is better than you.

I agree that some of the buses are dreadful. But only poor people take buses so there is no incentive to improve them.

Why would you want to use buses when there is the BTS, MRT and abundant taxis?

Bangkok has a public transport infrastructure which rivals that of the first world. Skytrain is amazing, the highways road system is above average etc.

I've traveled around the world to 30+ countries and I can't think of a place which has a better public transport system than BKK.

You arrive at the airport and then can jump on a train into the city connect with the BTS and then onto the MRT and go just about anywhere you'd likely want to go.

Then you've got the klongs, the boats, the buses, the bikes, the taxis, the tuk tuks etc. It's endless.

And the MRT and BTS are far cleaner and more efficient than most other major cities undergrounds / subways etc. It's hard to believe the BTS is in Thailand sometime.

Try Hong Kong. 100x better than Bangkok for public transport.

• Like 1

theguyfromanotherforum
I find that certain people will start making any sort of stupid argument to justify their existence in Thailand. Like people don't get up for the elderly in the west or are somehow impolite. Total high horse expat bs. I wasn't talking about people inside the bus and how they behave. I'm stating my opinion about public bus service in Bangkok, Thailand. You however are laughably judgmental.

The only stupid comments and BS is coming from you and those criticising Thailand in a public forum - in Thailand.

I for one find you and others who openly critise Thailand and Thais offensive - because (if you didn't know) it offends Thais being criticised - particularly in public.

You are just like an ignorant female tourist in a Temple wearing inapproriate clothing - offensive to Thais (and also to those that are aware of local customs/beliefs).

What? Thais dont read English or hear about what Farangs like you and others say on these forums?

Some Thais have negative opinions towards Farangs they dont know - Forums saying things like this one does is one of the reasons.

Like I and others have said - the border is not locked - you can leave anytime.

And once more for the really stupid - it is offensive to Thais to crititise them in public (whether valid or not).

If you do have a suggestion on how to improve public transport - feel free to try and tell someone in authority - maybe they will value your opinion (be careful not to offend) whistling.gif

theguyfromanotherforum

The only stupid comments and BS is coming from you and those criticising Thailand in a public forum - in Thailand.

I for one find you and others who openly critise Thailand and Thais offensive - because (if you didn't know) it offends Thais being criticised - particularly in public.

You are just like an ignorant female tourist in a Temple wearing inapproriate clothing - offensive to Thais (and also to those that are aware of local customs/beliefs).

What? Thais dont read English or hear about what Farangs like you and others say on these forums?

Some Thais have negative opinions towards Farangs they dont know - Forums saying things like this one does is one of the reasons.

And once more for the really stupid - it is offensive to Thais to crititise them in public (whether valid or not).

If you do have a suggestion on how to improve public transport - feel free to try and tell someone in authority - maybe they will value your opinion (be careful not to offend) whistling.gif

Well, this was my first somewhat negative post on this forum and now I am suddenly a Thai basher.

Ok, let me apologize for noticing that public buses are ghastly and not very user friendly to most passengers.

Gee.... another Farang telling someone to leave. How original!

Like the guy before you saying only poor people ride the bus. I have never read anything more stupid in my life to be honest. No, not only poor people ride the bus. University students, office workers, professionals who don't live near a MRT/BTS stop all ride the bus. People sometimes take bus because it's faster than taxi.

Most Thais dislike their buses. These are not my complaints. I have my gf translate articles from newspapers and Thais do complain. These are not my observations, lol.

I guess you both can't see how utterly stupid your arguments are.

Anyway, thank you immigration officer for letting me know I can leave. The authority on Thailand has spoken!

theguyfromanotherforum

we all thank you for that abundant display of third worldness.thumbsup.gif perhaps you can sign up for even more names and really get your message across.

Edited by rabid old goat
  • Like 1

I never said Thailand is a third world country. I just said the public transport makes it third world. I will try and make it clear this way. Quality buses and value of life (passengers) - first world. Deplorable busses and value of life - second world. Quality buses and no value of life - third world. Deplorable buses and no value of life - third world.

I read every post, and Third World is not correct. Developing Nation maybe, but how about we encourage correct terms before shooting the sh*t, eh ?

In an ideal world, maybe. But this is Thaivisa, and some people just can't be told.

See the post above for a prime example.

Ok Maybe i came across too harsh - Superior Knowledge - I doubt. I personally never knew the correct meaning of "Third World" until within the last year, be it in a pub quiz, or an episode of QI. I posted because I use this forum to enrich peoples knowledge, as well as being enriched by others peoples knowledge. I figure I've already had a few readers go "Oh....That makes sense"......

But reading the post above yours...we're doomed.

Anyone who calls Thailand a third world country probably hasn't been to a third world country before. Go to Sudan, South Sudan, Nigeria, Pakistan, Bangladesh , Myanmar etc, these can be regarded as 3rd world countries. Bangkok has a public transport infrastructure which rivals that of the first world. Skytrain is amazing, the highways road system is above average etc.

Thailand is an emerging country, def not 3rd world.

Many of you know the origin of the term "third world." Let me remind you. It's a Cold War artifact. First World was the western capitalist countries. Second was the USSR and its communist allies. Practically everybody else was "Third World." The US and Soviet Union fought over them, trying to exert their influence with propaganda, development programs and arms sales. Now there's no Soviet Union, hardly any communist countries left, so the term "Third World" is defunct. That said, there are tons of other, newer, more current labels now. "Emerging" is a pretty good one, so I'm going to check "like" on Lukecan's post.

They way how they their treat prisoners.

The politicians and their low level of behavior.

Their retarded educational system,which is why thai do not know how to debate and ask questions..

All the uncountable laws that benefiting their own kind over foreigners.

The police.

landownership and the famous 51/49% rule

Useless dangerous visa extension border runs..should just extend in thailand..

Study educational visa forced to learn thai while thais should be forced to learn english..

need i continue..?

The fact that scams crimes of thai against foreigners get no priority from the police

The influence of the tuk tuk mafia.

• Like 1

Their retarded educational system,which is why thai do not know how to debate and ask questions..

The police.

Study educational visa forced to learn thai while thais should be forced to learn english..

need i continue..?

The fact that scams crimes of thai against foreigners get no priority from the police

Quite a few of those just sound like issues that annoy expats.

Let's look at this one in particular. Surely nobody is forcing you to take out an educational visa - but if you choose to do so, it seems entirely reasonable that you might be expected to actually study. Meanwhile, why should Thais be forced to learn a language, just to make life easier for lazy foreigners?

What does this even have to with supposed 'third world' status anyway? Aren't you just venting because they won't let you stay in their country as long as you want without making any effort or contribution?

The police.

need i continue..?

Thais should be forced to learn English? Your selfishness is astounding!

Retarded educational system? Scams against foreigners should take priority? You are here why?

Edited by sdanielmcev
  • Like 1

When i was in thailand i respected thai people and embraced thier culture.i tried to learn thier customs and language.i took thailand as it came.everything is smooth as silk.i didnt expect it to be like home . Every system has flaws. We have corruption .poverty.gangs .drugs.and all the rest of the garbage that comes with it...when im in thailand in sept im sure ill have the same possitive expirience i had this year.