What makes Thailand a third world country?

theguyfromanotherforum

Thailand is not a 100% third world country...

However It has certain aspects that are third world level and other aspects are above that level.

Thailand also uses this third world underdog position on some occasions and on other occasions they will play out their so called civallized society status..

Its pretty clever to be in this position for them...

When have they used a 'third world' position?

okey..i give u 2 examples when use their 3 world status and one example where they used their first world status..

26 dec 2006 ,tsunami hit Phuket then thailand said we need help please cause we are a really poor 3 world country and so many Countries then gave money and aid right u remember?

They also use their 3 world status to explain why farangs can not buy land here not even one single rai..we need register it on names of mostly thai bar girls cause farangs are rich..and we might buy up all their land.Its a farce honestly but again they clever enough to use here again their poor third world status...in order to only have to hand out land leases of max 30 years to farangs.

They also use their civilized status just how it suites them ,like 2 years ago ,Europe offered to send over a delegation to over see that the thai elections would be done in all fairness..Right away came the yellows with abisit claiming that they did not need or want and trust any outsiders interfering in their business.They are capable do all them selves..In This case it did not suit them our help so they pretended to be a first world country...

Anyway as i said their ranking its overlapping and they make good use out of it if u asking me !

In none of your examples did thai govt ever call themselves a third world country. They are a middle income country which is why they don't want high income country citizens to buy all their land.

Yep they will of course not use that exact wording u might need to read between the lines ,also i have never heard them say that they are a middle income country..But if so it does explain why they are overlapping on issues.

Regarding buying land its simple they can make restrictions like max one rai a foreigner and only with the correct visa etc...But they have other ideas for us they come up with creative land lease structures.like in a first world country anyone with money can buy houses and land and these laws are the same for anyone.Since that is not the case in Thailand then on that issue Thailand is not yet a first world country!

There is a definition of third world. It does not cover thailand. However you are free to believe in your own reality-whatever makes you feel happy :-)

What makes Thailand a third world country is the question of the OP...May i conclude that your reply is ; There is nothing that makes Thailand a third world country? Anyway if u read more posts here u will find out that most others do not agree with ur reply ...and my answer u can read back in post 228....

The majority believed the world was flat at one point. Vast numbers like Justin Bieber. What most people believe is not always right.

England has aspects that are third world. But England is not third world country same goes for Thailand.

Edited by ExpatJ

WOW FACTOR: "26 dec 2006 ,tsunami hit Phuket then thailand said we need help please cause we are a really poor 3 world country and so many Countries then gave money and aid right u remember?"

The Tsunami hit in 2004

I don't know where you get your news or if your memory is slipping, but that is absolutely opposite of what the PM said. First of all he refused foreign financial aid stating specifically that other countries in the area were much worse off and that Thailand had a stable economy to rebuild itself.

So everything else you say, I cannot believe. GET your facts right before spouting off. The only factor that wows me about your posts are how ethnocentric and completely ignorant you are.

Am I the only one that wished the guy from another forum, just stayed there? Absolute troll.

Though there are things in Thailand that are definitely substandard, there is no way that you could ever call it 3rd world. It is even past the term developing. It has a middle class, it has a growing middle class, it has more paved roads than dirt. There is a ;ublic water and sewage system, Nationalized health care, People don't die of disinteria in the thousands a year.

Everything the OP complained about, I just don't see. I think that the buses are adequate. US city bussing system could be considered 3rd world too if you compare it with Korea. The buses in Thailand might not be handicapped accessible but I have also seen bus drivers get out of the bus and help people get on where you would never see that in your so called first world.

As for education, every single moron complaining about it, Do you speak and read Thai? Have you actually ever sat and studied in a Thai classroom for more than a year, then how in the world do you know anything? English English English. All you morons ever do is relate education to their communicative ability in English. Or pull out the old "they don't encourage critical thinking". That may or not be true anymore. I know a lot of department heads and administrators that have been trying to change that for 2 decades. Not many countries in the area even those with high standards like Japan and Honkong utilize a modern approach to teaching. They are not student centered, they do not put critical thinking and debating with the teacher on the priority list. Rote memorization is key in almost every asian country. There isn't a single country in the world that doesn't need to improve its education system. There are many brilliant Thai people who only studied in Thailand. Not every educated or wealthy person studied abroad or at International schools. The west is not the ideal in education reform. The west is actually substandard today.

Personally, I wouldn't be so excited to rush change Thailand more to the west. Stop comparing and appreciate what is better. Becuase in my viewpoint 90% of the way of life here is better than anywhere. I get frustrated from time to time too but I keep it in perspective as isolated incidents not believing that it is a universal problem.

WOW FACTOR: "26 dec 2006 ,tsunami hit Phuket then thailand said we need help please cause we are a really poor 3 world country and so many Countries then gave money and aid right u remember?"

The Tsunami hit in 2004

I don't know where you get your news or if your memory is slipping, but that is absolutely opposite of what the PM said. First of all he refused foreign financial aid stating specifically that other countries in the area were much worse off and that Thailand had a stable economy to rebuild itself.

So everything else you say, I cannot believe. GET your facts right before spouting off. The only factor that wows me about your posts are how ethnocentric and completely ignorant you are.

Am I the only one that wished the guy from another forum, just stayed there? Absolute troll.

Though there are things in Thailand that are definitely substandard, there is no way that you could ever call it 3rd world. It is even past the term developing. It has a middle class, it has a growing middle class, it has more paved roads than dirt. There is a ;ublic water and sewage system, Nationalized health care, People don't die of disinteria in the thousands a year.

Everything the OP complained about, I just don't see. I think that the buses are adequate. US city bussing system could be considered 3rd world too if you compare it with Korea. The buses in Thailand might not be handicapped accessible but I have also seen bus drivers get out of the bus and help people get on where you would never see that in your so called first world.

As for education, every single moron complaining about it, Do you speak and read Thai? Have you actually ever sat and studied in a Thai classroom for more than a year, then how in the world do you know anything? English English English. All you morons ever do is relate education to their communicative ability in English. Or pull out the old "they don't encourage critical thinking". That may or not be true anymore. I know a lot of department heads and administrators that have been trying to change that for 2 decades. Not many countries in the area even those with high standards like Japan and Honkong utilize a modern approach to teaching. They are not student centered, they do not put critical thinking and debating with the teacher on the priority list. Rote memorization is key in almost every asian country. There isn't a single country in the world that doesn't need to improve its education system. There are many brilliant Thai people who only studied in Thailand. Not every educated or wealthy person studied abroad or at International schools. The west is not the ideal in education reform. The west is actually substandard today.

Personally, I wouldn't be so excited to rush change Thailand more to the west. Stop comparing and appreciate what is better. Becuase in my viewpoint 90% of the way of life here is better than anywhere. I get frustrated from time to time too but I keep it in perspective as isolated incidents not believing that it is a universal problem.

FYI

I am not the OP

I just gave my answers on the question of the Op : What makes Thailand a Third world country.

We seem all to agree that Thailand has several aspects of a third world country.

Seems Thailand has enough things left to improve.Making its citizens bilangual is just one of them.

Futhermore Thailand never refused any aid or money from other countries during The tsunami hello ! Was any of the hundred million dollars ever send back then ?

Thailand of course smartly use its overlapping position between 3 and 1 world ranking status how it serves them best.

• Like 1

However It has certain aspects that are third world level and other aspects are above that level.

Thailand also uses this third world underdog position on some occasions and on other occasions they will play out their so called civallized society status..

This is a reply to your previous. cynical post...

My child is half Thai and we live in Thailand so I'm sure he would love it..Thai schools prepare Thai children for life in Thai society. My wife went through the system and finished up with a very broad education. I also work within the system and let me tell you one thing. Thai kids are polite, respectful and ambitious. All of my secondary kids can tell me what they want to be. They all have high targets such as doctor, engineer, etc and some of them will succeed. Last year I taught A level students in the UK and most of them were lazy, arrogant and very rude to each other and their teachers. When I asked some of them what they wanted to be they said they would go on the dole and claim benefits...The Thai educational system doesn't place much significance on the humanities but maths and science are on the same level as most other modern countries...

• Like 1

My child is half Thai and we live in Thailand so I'm sure he would love it..Thai schools prepare Thai children for life in Thai society. My wife went through the system and finished up with a very broad education. I also work within the system and let me tell you one thing. Thai kids are polite, respectful and ambitious. All of my secondary kids can tell me what they want to be. They all have high targets such as doctor, engineer, etc and some of them will succeed. Last year I taught A level students in the UK and most of them were lazy, arrogant and very rude to each other and their teachers. When I asked some of them what they wanted to be they said they would go on the dole and claim benefits...The Thai educational system doesn't place much significance on the humanities but maths and science are on the same level as most other modern countries...

Are you teaching at these schools at the outskirts of Bangkok where these local school youths are throwing mini bombs to rival students sitting in their school bus ?recently several deadly shootings amongst rival thai students too.are you talking about these lovely kids?.Are You talking about these schools where thai teachers are still physically punishing its thai students ?Are u teaching there? Local schools where all what the kids are doing is copy what the thai teacher writes on the board and force its students to memorizing useless information without understanding .Schools where its inappropriate to asks any questions cause it might make the thai teacher teacher to loose face cause she might think she has not explained it clearly...Are u working there?

Anyways enjoy your stay with your family in this perfect country and great locale school system..

Still need to figure out what got me some cynical...

I agree there are deficiencies within the educational system in Thailand but lets take it in perspective. How many American children could identify countries on a blank map of the world? 2/3 thought Russia was somewhere in South America. Hardly any standard to enable criticism of Thailands schooling is it.

How many Western children can add a few simple numbers without a calculator? Very few is the answer.

What I am saying is, yes Thailands system can be improved no question, but before any Thai bashing takes place lets make sure our own countries system is spotless. I think once you have looked to home you wont be so keen to have a go at the Thai system

• Like 2

Are you teaching at these schools at the outskirts of Bangkok where these local school youths are throwing mini bombs to rival students sitting in their school bus ?recently several deadly shootings amongst rival thai students too.are you talking about these lovely kids?.Are You talking about these schools where thai teachers are still physically punishing its thai students ?Are u teaching there? Local schools where all what the kids are doing is copy what the thai teacher writes on the board and force its students to memorizing useless information without understanding .Schools where its inappropriate to asks any questions cause it might make the thai teacher teacher to loose face cause she might think she has not explained it clearly...Are u working there?

Anyways enjoy your stay with your family in this perfect country and great locale school system..

No offence, but you're not exactly a glowing testament to the educational system where you come from, are you?

No :) that must be you !

In canada you can leave grade 10 illiterate.every country has possitives and negatives.i love thailand thier culture and all the things that are diffrent from my norm.try going to school in surrey canada.full of gangs. Race wars .drug addicts.i was stunned at the lack of druggies in thailand.our streets and parks are full. We have lots of people living on the streets .we have a native population that raped beaten and murdered in the name of the church.its all about where you look we all have dirt in our closet and its not our duty to rate or judge other cultures for being diffrent then ours

• Like 1

In canada you can leave grade 10 illiterate.every country has possitives and negatives.i love thailand thier culture and all the things that are diffrent from my norm.try going to school in surrey canada.full of gangs. Race wars .drug addicts.i was stunned at the lack of druggies in thailand.our streets and parks are full. We have lots of people living on the streets .we have a native population that raped beaten and murdered in the name of the church.its all about where you look we all have dirt in our closet and its not our duty to rate or judge other cultures for being diffrent then ours

so you graduate grade 10 next year then?

I did not say that Thailand is perfect. I just think that we should take a minute and analyse our own countries shortcomings before attacking the country that we have chosen to live in...If it's so shit here why do you live here...Or perhaps you are a sex tourist who breezes in here and assumes they know everything about the country because they manage to pick up some piece of skirt in the same, tired old places....

Those incidents that you talk of are isolated and generally occur in technical colleges in areas of lower socio- economic status. Last year I taught in England and I had some students carrying knives etc and one pleasant chap who set fire to a cat!! These were also isolated incidents but I'm pretty sure they are more prevalent in the UK than Thailand( or maybe its the same!)..I've also read about a number of incidents of teachers having relations with underage students in the Uk. Again, isolated incidents.The list goes on... I'm not a religious man but I'll quote the greatest story ever told' Let him who has sinned the least cast the first stone'...(or something to that effect!)....

I suggest that if you hate the system here so much that you leave before you become one of those twisted, bitter old men.Or perhaps you have already....

I’m aware that Thailand likes to think of itself as a developed country and dislikes being considered a third world country. No one likes being thought of in that way. Nonetheless, there are some very pointed reasons as to why Thailand is still a third world country, no matter how serious of efforts they have made in overcoming that status in recent years. Of course, I say this not to ridicule Thailand, but rather to at least comment on the factors that make a country third world for the rest of us to ponder rather seriously about.For one, nations that cannot keep their utilities up to date are third world countries. For example, a couple of days ago we lost power for a few hours, and there has been no water at all this morning. Nations that can’t keep their utilities going strong for villages close to major cities, especially under normal circumstances like today, don’t get the right to consider themselves developed countries. It may not seem fair, but people in developed countries take electricity, running water, and internet for granted these days. Having one’s internet slow down is a first world problem. Not having any running water to flush the toilet or take a shower is a third world problem. By that standard Thailand is still a third world country, sadly.Another issue is that first world countries have better infrastructures than third world countries. Utilities, of course, are a part of a nation’s infrastructure, but not the only part. If a nation’s logistics systems are dependent on one port, or if their transportation networks depend on a single hub, that nation is clearly third world and undeveloped. First world nations have a variety of backup systems that can pick up the slack and have much more developed infrastructures and logistics systems. Third world countries depend on one central point–usually a capital (but not always) for access.Nonetheless, we have to be careful to judge on a scale that allows us to see Thailand as fairly high on the third world scale. For example, Thailand is clearly less third world than Ghana or Burma or Laos. In fact, Thailand is probably only a little bit of work from moving out of the third world altogether, if it can develop some alternate entries for logistics and tighten up its infrastructure a bit. But, the point remains that Thailand does need work, which it may not be particularly interested in hearing as it seeks to build massive factories and projects in its neighboring and still less developed countries.Of course, it is also worthwhile to remember that the same problem could affect other nations that consider themselves first world. If utilities and infrastructure collapse in a more developed country, then it too will see itself slide into the third world. We must be careful not to only point the finger at others but also examine ourselves. If we eat our seed corn and do not provide for the future, we too will see ourselves in the same situation, high and dry without the utilities and amenities we take for granted in our own lives. We cannot take these things for granted.

• Like 1

Gandalf12. You may or may not be correct in assuming that " Western children can add a few simple numbers without a calculator" but at the very least they understand how to use one unlike Thai children and Western children may think that Russia is in South America but again at least they can use a map. Thai children know absolutely nothing outside of Thailand nor are they taught otherwise.

Gandalf12. You may or may not be correct in assuming that " Western children can add a few simple numbers without a calculator" but at the very least they understand how to use one unlike Thai children and Western children may think that Russia is in South America but again at least they can use a map. Thai children know absolutely nothing outside of Thailand nor are they taught otherwise.

To some extent I agree with you regarding knowledge of countries outside of Thailand but not totally. Many have a better understanding than is given credit for.

It has on the other issues been an issue of concern in most if not all of the Western countries that the school children can not do simple arithmetic without a calculator. This is why they allow calculators into the exam room.

Geography? Well this is a point of concern in just about all countries including Japan

I’m aware that Thailand likes to think of itself as a developed country and dislikes being considered a third world country. No one likes being thought of in that way. Nonetheless, there are some very pointed reasons as to why Thailand is still a third world country, no matter how serious of efforts they have made in overcoming that status in recent years. Of course, I say this not to ridicule Thailand, but rather to at least comment on the factors that make a country third world for the rest of us to ponder rather seriously about.For one, nations that cannot keep their utilities up to date are third world countries. For example, a couple of days ago we lost power for a few hours, and there has been no water at all this morning. Nations that can’t keep their utilities going strong for villages close to major cities, especially under normal circumstances like today, don’t get the right to consider themselves developed countries. It may not seem fair, but people in developed countries take electricity, running water, and internet for granted these days. Having one’s internet slow down is a first world problem. Not having any running water to flush the toilet or take a shower is a third world problem. By that standard Thailand is still a third world country, sadly.Another issue is that first world countries have better infrastructures than third world countries. Utilities, of course, are a part of a nation’s infrastructure, but not the only part. If a nation’s logistics systems are dependent on one port, or if their transportation networks depend on a single hub, that nation is clearly third world and undeveloped. First world nations have a variety of backup systems that can pick up the slack and have much more developed infrastructures and logistics systems. Third world countries depend on one central point–usually a capital (but not always) for access.Nonetheless, we have to be careful to judge on a scale that allows us to see Thailand as fairly high on the third world scale. For example, Thailand is clearly less third world than Ghana or Burma or Laos. In fact, Thailand is probably only a little bit of work from moving out of the third world altogether, if it can develop some alternate entries for logistics and tighten up its infrastructure a bit. But, the point remains that Thailand does need work, which it may not be particularly interested in hearing as it seeks to build massive factories and projects in its neighboring and still less developed countries.Of course, it is also worthwhile to remember that the same problem could affect other nations that consider themselves first world. If utilities and infrastructure collapse in a more developed country, then it too will see itself slide into the third world. We must be careful not to only point the finger at others but also examine ourselves. If we eat our seed corn and do not provide for the future, we too will see ourselves in the same situation, high and dry without the utilities and amenities we take for granted in our own lives. We cannot take these things for granted.

It is obvious you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Where are you living? You don't have running water or flushing toilets, but you have internet service? Didn't know "3rd world" countries had internet, cable tv, cell phone service, a tax system, nation wide healthcare. Hwy's, subways above and below ground, muti billion dollar companies, I can go on and on about what Thailand has that separates this country from actual 3rd world countries, and there's a lot of people that will say the same. I'm so tired of all the idiots that THINK that Thailand is a 3rd world country under the adopted definitions. If you really think what you believe is true. Then I suppose you will be moving soon?

• Like 1

No one has ever told me what a second world country is . Is there such a thing ? TLoS is not soo bad if first, second or third world which is why we like it here, some things those that stay in their comfort zones or Nanny States would not understand over here are poverty and the gap between the fithy rich BKK Elite. My local pub has Ladyboys , Toms and a mixture of all types , back in the UK they would love this if they accepted it but I think they can't assimilate , been brought up to accept normal . OK ,just back from a passport run to BKK. The place stinks ! Very bad air quality , traffic jams , drunken tourists buses that rattle and a lot more but don't whinge it is part of here.

Aronp1. It is plainly obvious that you cannot comprehend the content of my post. You obviously don't inderstand that my statement saying how we take running electricity, running water water for granted. Obviously of you do mot have electricity in Thailand you do not have running water simply because they run on the same system, electricity. And if you were capable of understanding my post which you clearly are not I stated "Third world countries depend on one central point–usually a capital". Without the advances in Bangkok what else would there be. Just because Bangkok is a 2nd tier city does not mean that Thailand is mot a 3rd world country. Can you name another city in Thailand that has a skytrain, underground subway system. I can NONE. Jow mamy times have you ever went in to a toilet without an actual toilet bowl. There are many other items i could tell you which makes Thailand fall into the category of a 3rd world country but i won't because you are entitled to your opinion, I just go with the facts. I can say the same about the idiots that THINK that Thailand is not a 3rd world country. Get out of whatever bubble you have yourself hiding and come to terms with the inevitable truth. I know many 3rd world countries that have the same things that you state that Thailand has but you know what. They along with Thailand are still 3rd world countries. Finally, nowhere in my post did I say I don't like Thailand because quite frankly I enjoy living here but that doesn't mean i'm going to hide from the truth.

Edited by ldiablo

I did not say that Thailand is perfect. I just think that we should take a minute and analyse our own countries shortcomings before attacking the country that we have chosen to live in...If it's so shit here why do you live here...Or perhaps you are a sex tourist who breezes in here and assumes they know everything about the country because they manage to pick up some piece of skirt in the same, tired old places....

Those incidents that you talk of are isolated and generally occur in technical colleges in areas of lower socio- economic status. Last year I taught in England and I had some students carrying knives etc and one pleasant chap who set fire to a cat!! These were also isolated incidents but I'm pretty sure they are more prevalent in the UK than Thailand( or maybe its the same!)..I've also read about a number of incidents of teachers having relations with underage students in the Uk. Again, isolated incidents.The list goes on... I'm not a religious man but I'll quote the greatest story ever told' Let him who has sinned the least cast the first stone'...(or something to that effect!)....

I suggest that if you hate the system here so much that you leave before you become one of those twisted, bitter old men.Or perhaps you have already....

Yes incidents happens at any schools worldwide.

However Thailand needs to step up now and reform their school system drastically..

Thais have no other choice then to become bi-langual.There is no way around it for them sorry to say so...

Apec is coming soon to Asia,besides that Tourists will never master Thai language so it makes sense for all thais to study English much more...

Big frustrations of Tourists in Thailand is all the miss communication they ran in to with Thais.

Did u ever experience a difference in conversation between a taxi driver in Bangkok and a taxi driver in Manila ?

Countries such as philipines will rob the tourist away from Thailand if Thailand does not become bi-langual i can tell u that.

How to change :

One hour a day of english lessons by a philipine teacher at any school starting at the youngest age group..

Implement 50% of the Singapore curriculum in Thai schools..Seem this curriculum gives excellent results.

Create a tv channel in Thailand focusing on the thai youth with only non stop English educational cartoons and English music..

Forcing expats learning thai language will do nothing for the English skills of Thais..

Preparing Thai kids for a Thai society only is not enough cause Thailand is suppose to be part of a international society.

However Thailand needs to step up now and reform their school system drastically..

Thais have no other choice then to become bi-langual.There is no way around it for them sorry to say so...

Apec is coming soon to Asia,besides that Tourists will never master Thai language so it makes sense for all thais to study English much more...

Big frustrations of Tourists in Thailand is all the miss communication they ran in to with Thais.

Did u ever experience a difference in conversation between a taxi driver in Bangkok and a taxi driver in Manila ?

Countries such as philipines will rob the tourist away from Thailand if Thailand does not become bi-langual i can tell u that.

It always amazes how people cite the PI has being ideal because the Filipinos can speak some English. Yet, in terms of tourism and general economic progress, the PI lags far behind Thailand. So clearly, their English proficiency hasn't helped. And if you look at the most advanced economies in Asia, Japan and S. Korea, English proficiency in those countries is even weaker than Thailand. Singapore is a special case, of course, and with AEC coming, English proficiency (or Chinese?) would certainly be an advantage. Honestly, if today's youth had to choose an additional language besides Thai, I'm not sure that English would be preferred over Chinese. In the west, certainly, but perhaps not in Asia.

It always amazes how people cite the PI has being ideal because the Filipinos can speak some English. Yet, in terms of tourism and general economic progress, the PI lags far behind Thailand. So clearly, their English proficiency hasn't helped. And if you look at the most advanced economies in Asia, Japan and S. Korea, English proficiency in those countries is even weaker than Thailand. Singapore is a special case, of course, and with AEC coming, English proficiency (or Chinese?) would certainly be an advantage. Honestly, if today's youth had to choose an additional language besides Thai, I'm not sure that English would be preferred over Chinese. In the west, certainly, but perhaps not in Asia.

I never said the Philipines is an ideal country i only said at there are hardly any language problems there...

Lately Philipines has stronger economic growth in % then Thailand i and clearly see this continue..philipines is also more political stable.

Your suggestion sounds really practical the second language for Thais should become Chinese duh.

If you do not see it that with English as a second language the Thais will be way better of then we might as well stop to talk ...