PM the brunt of some mild mockery at varsity meet

Lite Beer

Yes posters, crucify him, mock him, spill your vitriol on him.

But one thing I have to tell you.

Your opinions, including mine, never had and will never have any substance in this country.

So carry on as before, but please stop throwing your toys out of your pram as there is nothing else you can do.

PM the brunt of some mild mockery. I'll bet his definition of mild will be vastly different to the rest of us.

" I'll bet his definition ..."

Odd use of "brunt" as well. Normally one is the "butt of a joke" or mockery and he may "bear the brunt" of it.

Saying he is the brunt, makes no sense. Probably the author was afraid to use the word "butt" in a headline and/or was the student/victim of one the many highly talented (and otherwise unemployable) farang English teachers who come to Thailand.

A hand tailored and manipulated instant Thai survey showed that exactly 94.7% opposed these floats. Who in their right mind would ever take Thai surveys seriously?

Statistics prove that 94.7 of all statistics are made up on the spot. whistling.gif

Lies, damned lies, and statistics !

Remember statistics should be used like a drunk uses a lamp post - for support not illumination wink.png

• Like 1

Yes posters, crucify him, mock him, spill your vitriol on him.

But one thing I have to tell you.

Your opinions, including mine, never had and will never have any substance in this country.

So carry on as before, but please stop throwing your toys out of your pram as there is nothing else you can do.

Vitriol? Is that like Marmite?

Good job kids!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Spread the dissent.

You'd hope that any government, anywhere, would appreciate satire and some mickey taking.

Not here they don't. Draw a cartoon and some governments set their tame criminal investigatory services on you and sue for defamation whilst pondering the invention of new or bending of existing laws to punish you further.

• Like 2

A hand tailored and manipulated instant Thai survey showed that exactly 94.7% opposed these floats. Who in their right mind would ever take Thai surveys seriously?

Statistics prove that 94.7 of all statistics are made up on the spot. whistling.gif

Q1. Are you fully aware of Lese Majesty laws?

Q2. Are you aware that attitude adjustment may take up to seven days?

Q3. Does any float in the parade look like Prayuth... 94.7% NO. 5.3% Who is Prayuth?

Q4. Which do you prefer [a] Brass Bands and Marching Girls Floats?

Q5. Do you think that floats are a good use of University funding?

Q6 .....

It's amazing how these battle-hardened decorated soldiers seem to have such fragile sensitive thin epidermis.

I hope they don't peruse TVF, 'cos some of the comments will cause apoplexy.

Battle hardened, through a life sat on the sumptuous kid leather seats of imported luxury vehicles. Reminiscing their latest battle achievements which was rolling over like an on-heat poodle for the Japs 70 odd years ago.

Indeed the difference between the civilized world's military and here, is that the former is a meritocratic organization largely concerned with the defense of the nation, while here is more closely related to a mafia-like criminal organization which primarily focuses on personal enrichment, accumulation of power and hounding perceived enemies and dissenters.

Haha well said. But there goes your long term visa if the military reads that. cheesy.gif

Interesting that the article said the government looked over the floats,

and in essence approved them. Perhaps they do not understand irony and mockery....

Good thing I had already swallowed my coffee, or it would have been flying out my nose

when I saw your turn of phrase " battle hardened" in referring to the Thai military....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Good job kids!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Spread the dissent.

You'd hope that any government, anywhere, would appreciate satire and some mickey taking.

Not here they don't. Draw a cartoon and some governments set their tame criminal investigatory services on you and sue for defamation whilst pondering the invention of new or bending of existing laws to punish you further.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-31189050

Thammasart U living up to their reputation as hotbed for political activism while Chula U remain conformist and elitist. Got to be proud of the TU kids for having guts.

and their professors for their 'independent' thinking, like the seven of the Nitirat group.

BTW I think our own local photo journalist NN will agree with you about the 'reputation'

"When I finally arrived I met a few of my colleagues who had just photographed the students beating up Red Shirts. One of them told me that one of the students briefly slapped a foreign photographer when he took images of the scene. I stayed away from the University and the anti-government student protesters because I could not take the risk of being recognized by them after the hate campaign against me by the Blue Sky Channel’s Facebook page."

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2013/12/10/ramkhamhaeng-a-view-from-inside-the-stadium/

Mind you, another article only mentions

"Two persons were shot dead and at least 35 wounded in the outbreak of violence which took place between rival parties near a Bangkok stadium, Itar Tass news agency reports citing local police."

http://rt.com/news/bangkok-government-protest-demonstrate-514/

It's amazing how these battle-hardened decorated soldiers seem to have such fragile sensitive thin epidermis.

Battle hardened, through a life sat on the sumptuous kid leather seats of imported luxury vehicles. Reminiscing their latest battle achievements which was rolling over like an on-heat poodle for the Japs 70 odd years ago.

Indeed the difference between the civilized world's military and here, is that the former is a meritocratic organization largely concerned with the defense of the nation, while here is more closely related to a mafia-like criminal organization which primarily focuses on personal enrichment, accumulation of power and hounding perceived enemies and dissenters.

Haha well said. But there goes your long term visa if the military reads that. cheesy.gif

and in essence approved them. Perhaps they do not understand irony and mockery....

Good thing I had already swallowed my coffee, or it would have been flying out my nose

when I saw your turn of phrase " battle hardened" in referring to the Thai military....

Cynically speaking the government probably realises that accepting giant floats which 'everybody' likes as part of a party atmosphere is a better way of letting some let off steam than accepting political slogans.

PM the brunt of some mild mockery. I'll bet his definition of mild will be vastly different to the rest of us.

" I'll bet his definition ..."

Odd use of "brunt" as well. Normally one is the "butt of a joke" or mockery and he may "bear the brunt" of it.

Saying he is the brunt, makes no sense. Probably the author was afraid to use the word "butt" in a headline and/or was the student/victim of one the many highly talented (and otherwise unemployable) farang English teachers who come to Thailand.

Really. You should read more English language newspapers and magazines - you'll find the expression " the brunt of some criticism" often used. Normally with a verb - maybe is, was, bore for example.

You should also read the forum rules on this not being an English language tuition site although I'm sure your comments are as much an attempt to belittle the OP as anything else.

Probably frustrated because you can't get a job as a highly talented farang teacher.

yawn. Plenty of jobs going out there for teachers, talented or un. Your just peeved because your not running one of these Uni's. Stop going on about forum rules too. Its not clever or cool.

You vill take surveys seriously und you vill like it!

Are they the same researchers that compile TAT figures?

......................."Who in their right mind would ever take Thai surveys seriously?"..................................

You, for one, if the survey said what you wanted to hear ! cheesy.gif

+1...true.

Do Thais get irony and mockery?

Boooooooiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggg.

Mai kao jai.

Tell you what, this bloke getting all bent out of shape over a little friendly chiding. Just wait till his dictatorship has ended and he is facing retribution for his deeds, he should save all his gaskets for that time, rather than blow them willy-nilly over nothing.

There won't be any retribution as the new charter/constitution will surely include words granting immunity/amnesty to those involved in the coup...same thing happened in the last coup.

Already done.

Articles 47-48 of the Interim Charter 48 legitimizes "all coup related actions done by the NCPO, by its subordinates or by the subordinates of its subordinates, as well as all orders and announcements issued by them." A new constitution will merely expand the Interim Charter but it will not be allowed by the Junta to limit the Junta's powers prescribed in the Interim Charter.

Edited by rickirs

Excellent, a healthy sign of democratic student dissent, far better than people using grenades or snipers, and I hope that the PM takes it in good spirit, as he should.

you mean like confiscating banners? not letting them into the stadium? sanitizing? that's the sort of 'good spirit' he has?

When you re-read my post, you'll see that I said "I hope that the PM takes it in good spirit, as he should", I said nothing about what the soldiers outside did, or indeed about what sort of spirit "he has" according to you.

There's a good reason I have argumentative types like yourself on 'Ignore', and I usually regret it, when I do bother to take a quick look at what you post. wink.png

I'm sure the 92 submarine captains will disagree with your comments.

Excellent, a healthy sign of democratic student dissent, far better than people using grenades or snipers, and I hope that the PM takes it in good spirit, as he should.

you mean like confiscating banners? not letting them into the stadium? sanitizing? that's the sort of 'good spirit' he has?

When you re-read my post, you'll see that I said "I hope that the PM takes it in good spirit, as he should", I said nothing about what the soldiers outside did, or indeed about what sort of spirit "he has" according to you.

There's a good reason I have argumentative types like yourself on 'Ignore', and I usually regret it, when I do bother to take a quick look at what you post. wink.png

Please do so... you will not be missed and my point was VERY pertinent and valid as you failed to mention that outside they were refused entry and many banners confiscated whilst your post gave the overall impression that the students were allowed to bring in what they wanted. Clearly this was not the case.

This looks more like blatant dissent, not mild mockery. Good to see even the sons & daughters of the yellows don't support them.

Translation: May we have democracy, when will it be returned.

B9Pd4jWIYAElXvz.jpg

That was a clever strategy. Holy plain spoken dissent Batman! What's next, a banning of sports events to prevent such blatant unhappiness?blink.png

yes this was excellent and reflects most Thais that I know - good to see students defending freedom and civil liberties (as they traditionally always have done)

The usual Junta cheer leaders giving this thread a wide birth as usual. Inexcusable to not let these kids full express themselves. I'm glad they snuck some stuff in and did it anyway, well done Thammasat!

Chula confirming and boot licking, how unsurprising.

• Like 1

Please do so... you will not be missed and my point was VERY pertinent and valid as you failed to mention that outside they were refused entry and many banners confiscated whilst your post gave the overall impression that the students were allowed to bring in what they wanted. Clearly this was not the case.

"your post gave the overall impression that the students were allowed to bring in what they wanted" blink.png

I said absolutely nothing about what the students were allowed to bring in, or what happened outside the stadium, either !

You are making things up again, which I'm afraid is typical, and delusional to-boot. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

I

This looks more like blatant dissent, not mild mockery. Good to see even the sons & daughters of the yellows don't support them.

Translation: May we have democracy, when will it be returned.

B9Pd4jWIYAElXvz.jpg

That was a clever strategy. Holy plain spoken dissent Batman! What's next, a banning of sports events to prevent such blatant unhappiness?blink.png

It would have been more thoughtful if waitforusalso had provided some information where (s)he found the pictures. I haven't been able to find them elsewhere as yet (which also doesn't mean too much I must admit).