Thailand - Laos international border point opens in Uttaradit

Thailand - Laos international border point opens in Uttaradit

PNECO580208001002103_08022015_083833.jpg

UTTARADIT, 9 February 2015 (NNT) – The Phu Du - Paklay border crossing has been upgraded to an international border crossing in preparation for the integration of the ASEAN Economic Community.

The Deputy Prime Minister of Laos PDR Somsavat Lengsavad officiated over the opening of the Phu Du - Paklay international border crossing along with the honourable witnesses from Thailand and Laos.

The Phu Du - Paklay border crossing has been upgraded from a regional level border crossing. It now allows border passage to Laos or Thailand, and to third countries with the requirements of passports.

This border crossing is considered the third international border crossing of the Lao Xayabouly Province. Xayabouly province has borders that connects to six provinces of Thailand. The opening of this international border crossing will encourage the trade, investment, and tourism connectivity of both countries.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-09 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

is this open for 90 day reports . im heading home to Aus to do my 2 year residence to get my pension at 65 in march so if not no problem . had enough of spending a whole day driving over mountains with all the idiots on the road just to spend 10 mins to get my passport stamped and costing me 1500tbh for fuel on top .

• Like 2

is this open for 90 day reports . im heading home to Aus to do my 2 year residence to get my pension at 65 in march so if not no problem . had enough of spending a whole day driving over mountains with all the idiots on the road just to spend 10 mins to get my passport stamped and costing me 1500tbh for fuel on top .

Ii appears you are asking about doing a border crossing to get a new 90 day entry not a 90 day report.

It has not been confirmed yet that a Lao visa on arrival is available. So I cannot answer your question.

Be aware the Laos visa @ 1400 baht (for 5 minutes) will take a whole page of your passport.

many 90 day Laos visas is a drain on your pages. The price on new passports are outrages.

After amny runs to Thali I finally decided to make the trip to Mae Sot to save the pages and a stamp for only 500 baht.

How useless and incomplete information, why not even information and maps ? Better just say nothing if it's to publish useless incomplete posts !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uttaradit_Province

So the closest airport is Nan airport and it's almost 4 hours drive to the border ?

http://goo.gl/ELyS1I

Pitsanulok airport is even further ?

Video of the border:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljfnp8cfxH4

Do they have duty free shops ?

Thank you for more details.

Edited by thefactoryoutlet

The report on the crossing is somewhat misleading; there is no bridge over no river at the border. The picture shown is from a railway car crossing the Mekong from Nongkhai/Thailand to Thanalaeng/Lao PDR:

The sector Phu Du - Kengsao is brand new:
post-65504-0-27306000-1423478838_thumb.j

and half the distance compared to Thali - Kengsao:
post-65504-0-53632000-1423478878_thumb.j

Given the access to the border itself the new route is preferably easier; albeit the entry via Loei is shorter if coming from the South (Bangkok etc.).

The Phu Do post is located at GPS: 18.103538 101.159800
post-65504-0-21719000-1423478151_thumb.j

Across the little hill, after approx. 2.6 kms, you find Ban Phakèo at GPS: 18.10948 101.17776
post-65504-0-11156800-1423478245_thumb.j

There is NO infrastructure there yet such as photo or copy shop on the Lao side so bring your document(s) along if you need a visa for Laos. From Ban Phakèo to Kengsao (where you hit Road 4 coming up from Thali) it is 27 kms and then another approx. 12 kms to Paklay.

Arguably one of the easiest and nicest land routes from Thailand to Luang Prabang by leaving Phu Du via Kengsao, Paklay, Xayabouly, Muang Nan upto Luang Prabang, 300 kms on good roads, pit stops en route and overnight facilities in Paklay or Xayabouly.

Edited by Sydebolle
  • Like 1

<snipped>

There is NO infrastructure there yet such as photo or copy shop on the Lao side so bring your document(s) along if you need a visa for Laos. From Ban Phakèo to Kengsao (where you hit Road 4 coming up from Thali) it is 27 kms and then another approx. 12 kms to Paklay.

I snipped most of your post.

Can you confirm that you have gotten a Lao visa on arrival at this crossing is my only comment or question.

What type of visa have you being getting.?

Be aware the Laos visa @ 1400 baht (for 5 minutes) will take a whole page of your passport.

Laos visa is $35 for most nationalities. Paying with Thai bath subject the person to be exploited on exchange.

• Like 1

many 90 day Laos visas is a drain on your pages. The price on new passports are outrages.

After amny runs to Thali I finally decided to make the trip to Mae Sot to save the pages and a stamp for only 500 baht.

Only 500 Baht? It should be US$10, which is like 325 Baht. Just pay in US$.

The report on the crossing is somewhat misleading; there is no bridge over no river at the border. The picture shown is from a railway car crossing the Mekong from Nongkhai/Thailand to Thanalaeng/Lao PDR:

The sector Phu Du - Kengsao is brand new:

attachicon.gif141019 Map Pudu-Kaen Thao.jpg

and half the distance compared to Thali - Kengsao:

attachicon.gif141019 Map Thali-Kaen Thao.jpg

Given the access to the border itself the new route is preferably easier; albeit the entry via Loei is shorter if coming from the South (Bangkok etc.).

The Phu Do post is located at GPS: 18.103538 101.159800

attachicon.gifPhu Du.jpg

Across the little hill, after approx. 2.6 kms, you find Ban Phakèo at GPS: 18.10948 101.17776

attachicon.gif141019 Phakèo1.jpg

Arguably one of the easiest and nicest land routes from Thailand to Luang Prabang by leaving Phu Du via Kengsao, Paklay, Xayabouly, Muang Nan upto Luang Prabang, 300 kms on good roads, pit stops en route and overnight facilities in Paklay or Xayabouly.

Presumably the traffic switchover takes place between the Thai and Lao posts, using a roundabout or something? That's what happens at the Kaenthao crossing, where traffic switches from left to right using a roundabout on the Lao side, just after crossing the little bridge.