Disadvantages:

* Requires huge amounts of additional formwork

* Requires proper curing (28 days)

* Requires substantially more steel and concrete

* Electrical and plumbing need to be piped-in in advance

Advantages:

* Could potentially be engineered without additional posts

* No need for lintels

If it's just for the look, couldn't you achieve the same effect by staining the plaster and boarding it so it looks like that!

Maybe, but what is the price difference compared to a brick wall? Double? Triple?

What would be the minimum thickness for a non-weight bearing concrete wall?

How is the price normally calculated for concrete walls? By cubic meter?

The OP might want to attend the Architect Expo in late April through early May in Bangkok at Impact to see many different building materials. No shortage of products and several quality custom window companies can show you examples of those photos posted by the OP. CPAC concrete will have a large part of the SCG booth and staff who can speak and understand English. I'l wager it would be hot as heck unless you had some great roof design and very wide covered verandas near those fixed windows. There is a huge benefit to wide verandas and windows that open with insect screens in my observations of living full time in Thailand for eight years. If the OP was near Buriram Province starting on Friday he could ask in English and get answers in English from Diamond Building Products or Thai Pride Cement company or Lanko Building products regarding his concrete or AAC wall block questions at the Buriram Home Expo. You might consider a night at the Klim Hotel in Buriram which has the same "industrial concrete" look as the photos posted by the OP. But this Buriram hotel is actually built with Diamond Autoclaved Aerated AAC Blocks and rendered to appear as concrete walls. The a/c bill and guest comfort would be "issues" in an actual concrete walled hotel.

http://www.burirambuildersmerchants.com/buriram-home-building-show-2015.html

Lanko sells some wall rendering products which might help him achieve his "look". My personal experience is that the autoclaved aerated wall blocks enable you to hide all your water pipes, both hot and cold, air conditioning pipes and cables, speaker wire, internet wire, phone lines, electric cables all in conduit and then rendered.

http://www.architectexpo.com/

post-20604-0-38195400-1423485495_thumb.j

post-20604-0-26910300-1423486379_thumb.j

post-20604-0-89091700-1423486410_thumb.j

Actually 'infill' -non structural support walls - would be better if constructed with AAC -- Autoclaved Aerated Concrete... about 60 percent lighter and much better insulation as each block is filled with small air pockets caused by the manufacturing process. AAC is a subject unto itself. Thailand has plants that make AAC under several brand names. AAC blocks can be sawed and drilled much like wood. Also conduit space for electrical and water can be built into the wall as it is being created.

Using the little red bricks or even the larger ones is so 1980's. And Cast in Place regular concrete is way out of date if using standard concrete. The only structures of a house that should be reinforced heavy concrete are the supporting pillars and beams. Cast in place 'infill' walls can also be 'foamed' concrete... concrete mixed heavily with a foam generation admixture and a foaming machine. Or an infill wall can be made from EPS Concrete... Concrete using Expanded Polystyrene Beads -- Stryrofoam beads as a major part of the aggregate ... Using lightweight concrete of one type or another means 'cast in place' can be done with much lighter weight forms and will proceed more quickly.

Googleing these key words will reveal a whole new world of residential building technology. Most of which COULD be used in Thailand but - time marches slowly in Thailand home construction engineering.

• Like 1

Depends on what type of block you want .. maybe go away for a few hours. Write down what you really want. Have a quick Google for sizes etc then come back.. example .. qcon or superblock for the walls or plain concrete blocks!

I'm considering solid concrete walls (cast in place), not concrete blocks or bricks.

http://kkn.co.th/kknname.php?kknname=vision_concept.php

Everything they build is poured concrete.

('precast' is a translation error if you use Chrome, it should read 'cast in place')

I live in one and it's very nice, and a reasonable price.

Thanks for that link. Do you happen to know whether they will build on private plots or only on their project sites?

I live in a Pruksa house. Precast and cast in place .. it's shit. Hot walls, leaky windows. No chance for alterations as it's load bearing .. luckily I didn't buy. Just renting! I would NEVER go pre cast unless for something like a holiday home in an out of way place ..hence quick and easy build

• Like 1

The two story "public housing" projects of a previous Government scheme were built with pre-cast walls. They had a batching plant on site for a period of time, and I watched as they made the walls and then put them up with window openings and door openings all planned in advance. Not exactly what the OP has in mind but the physics of heat and cold might be the same. Those "Blue Roof" Government low cost housing did not have expensive roof tiles and that might contribute to the "comfort level" inside the houses. Exposed wiring was the norm. I'd go on record as saying the OP could get the "look" he craves in Thailand, but have it done with a more practical material for a much more comfortable living experience. He could check out the web site and facebook page of the Klim Hotel in Buriram to see that exact look, but it is a comfortable hotel.

If the OP had any questions on the strength of concrete pre-cast walls, or poured on site walls, or AAC autoclaved aerated walls and was near Buriram Province he could speak English for the next two days with technical advisors of Lanko House Building Materials, Diamond Brand Autoclaved aerated building wall blocks, Thai Pride Cement Company at the Buriram Home Expo. It is more than booth models who pose for photos, there seems to be real technical staff who can answer questions in Thai or English.

post-20604-0-57131000-1423961825_thumb.j

post-20604-0-20721700-1423961847_thumb.j

post-20604-0-87543400-1423961866_thumb.j

Depends on what type of block you want .. maybe go away for a few hours. Write down what you really want. Have a quick Google for sizes etc then come back.. example .. qcon or superblock for the walls or plain concrete blocks!

I'm considering solid concrete walls (cast in place), not concrete blocks or bricks.

please state a valid reason for this nonsensical unusual request whistling.gif

If the OP had any questions on the strength of concrete pre-cast walls, or poured on site walls, or AAC autoclaved aerated walls and was near Buriram Province he could speak English for the next two days with technical advisors of Lanko House Building Materials, Diamond Brand Autoclaved aerated building wall blocks, Thai Pride Cement Company at the Buriram Home Expo. It is more than booth models who pose for photos, there seems to be real technical staff who can answer questions in Thai or English.

the technical staff will laugh out loudly or shake their heads in sorrow when hearing the OP's request "concrete walls cast in place".

• Like 1

I have a friend who is building a 5 million baht two story home very near Chiang Mai. Much of it is cast in place heavy concrete with the infill being the larger red bricks. Many many tons of concrete is being used. I tried to educate him about AAC and lightweight concrete. So now in 2015 he has had built a 1989 technology home.

I am a big proponent of AAC Blocks and foamed or EPS bead aggregate concrete for reasons of better heat insulation, easier installation, better sound insulation, faster build and more modern methods of window/door placement, easier plumbing and electrical conduit placement and for the future - easier remodeling. All this only requiring reinforced concrete pillars and beams or in parts of the house steel pillars and beams...

But - to each his own...

• Like 2

I am building my house now , Q block walls with plaster(gypsum) walls ..No inside piers for this house . Truss roof system .

once you exceed a span of 10-12 meters the roof structure becomes very expensive without inside pillars or insde bearing walls.

I am building my house now , Q block walls with plaster(gypsum) walls ..No inside piers for this house . Truss roof system .

once you exceed a span of 10-12 meters the roof structure becomes very expensive without inside pillars or insde bearing walls.

The span is 16 metres , yes it was expensive.

The span is 16 metres , yes it was expensive.

As you have inside walls, why no pillars?

• Like 1

Kevvy,

if you use gypsum boards on the outside walls don't overlook the huge energy efficiency possibilty by adding hard foam insulation between the blocks and the boards. i did that in my Florida house, the cost is peanuts in comparison what you save on airconditioning in the future.

using Q-Con here in Thailand i thought i can forgo that feature which (unfortunately) was a mistake.

• Like 1

Kevvy,

if you use gypsum boards on the outside walls don't overlook the huge energy efficiency possibilty by adding hard foam insulation between the blocks and the boards. i did that in my Florida house, the cost is peanuts in comparison what you save on airconditioning in the future.

using Q-Con here in Thailand i thought i can forgo that feature which (unfortunately) was a mistake.

Naam

We insulated the outside walls .There was a cavity of about 5 inches so we put in insulted batts. The house has 4 metre high ceilings as well , so that will keep the heat down as well with whirly bird turbine on the back part of the roof .We learnt a lot from building our 38 house village down south with Q-Con bricks.

Kevvy,

Naam

We insulated the outside walls .There was a cavity of about 5 inches so we put in insulted batts. The house has 4 metre high ceilings as well , so that will keep the heat down as well with whirly bird turbine on the back part of the roof .We learnt a lot from building our 38 house village down south with Q-Con bricks.

Pluak Daeng isn't South, isn't it Kevvy ?

Casual biker

A truss roof does not need internal pillars . They cost alot more but the end result is amazing . You can put walls up anywhere you like and then when you apply your gypsum you will get a far superior finish on the painting. And the best is no pillars inside . Pictures of 2 of the Gypsum walls going up /All the wiring is hidden inside the 2 Gypsum walls .

post-164407-0-64109700-1424183030_thumb.

post-164407-0-73533400-1424183042_thumb.

post-164407-0-28572400-1424183238_thumb.

post-164407-0-65570400-1424183316_thumb.

Kevvy,

Naam

Pluak Daeng isn't South, isn't it Kevvy ?

Well it was pluagdang , so from here where I live now Chiang Rai , it is down south .

Casual biker

A truss roof does not need internal pillars . They cost alot more but the end result is amazing . You can put walls up anywhere you like and then when you apply your gypsum you will get a far superior finish on the painting. And the best is no pillars inside . Pictures of 2 of the Gypsum walls going up /All the wiring is hidden inside the 2 Gypsum walls .

Those vertical steel beams are supporting the roof or are only to fit the gypsum on?

Casual biker

Those vertical steel beams are supporting the roof or are only to fit the gypsum on?

The steel roof men put up steel frames for the gypsum , in Aus we make the inside frames from pine , no termites there , well in most states anyway .

Edited by kevvy

Kevvy,

Naam

a 5" cavity between block and gypsum board used for insulation = thumbsup.gif

OP - if you decide to use AAC block for your wall ... please educate the Thai block layers... They can be good but the supervisors are slow to adopt and adapt to new ideas and materials. AAC is designed to be laid using Tile Thin Set cement ... It can be bought in plastic pails -- the best route ... consistent mix. It can also be bought in a bag. They are clearly labeled for laying ceramic tile. This will likely confuse some of the people you are likely to get to do the work. Please do not allow them to use cement brick mortar.

Look for a youtube video telling how to lay a course of AAC Block ... you will see the layer of 'glue' is supposed to be little more than a centimeter. Actually the same thickness that would be used for laying ceramic floor tile ... not thick globs of cement brick mortar. Insist on using a plumb bob hung from the ceiling - to get a correct vertical rise. And leveling string with one of those miniature levels that attaches to the string. And check each course for consistent thickness of tile glue. Then use a long level to check for the after then fact levelness ... It can still be corrected.

None of this is very difficult -- you could probably do it yourself after a few primers ... Also check for Google Images on AAC block Walls -- Show and Tell is good for the workers.... You will notice the thin consistent layers of Thin Set Tile cement.

• Like 1

Perhaps Skraach the O.P. could visit the beautiful modern office of Best Pac Concrete just North of Buriram. The Best Pac office is two years old and the managing director understands and speaks English. The office is very comfortable with all 9 air conditioners operating on the ground floor for the fifteen office staff. However if you walk into the restroom of Best Pac concrete where they have great wind flow, you might notice a different temperature experience in a concrete wall building. I've bought very good quality Pre-Stressed Concrete Piles and very robust pre stressed concrete floor slabs from Best Pac in Buriram. The Best Pac concrete two story office building is just North of the John Deere Farm Tractor Dealership on Highway 219. They will give him prices of concrete products in English all printed out on a computer with no run around.