Utapao No Stress

gk10002000

Just thought I would post a quick notes about my two months in Thailand in 2013. I had many weeks to kill so I traveled around a bit. I ended up staying two months. I flew from LAX in the USA to BKK. Bus down to Pattaya. Stayed a few weeks. I took a taxi from Pattaya to Utapao and paid 700 baht I think from Soi Diana. I flew from Utapao to Phuket and loved it. Bangkok Air. The snack box was fine. It was an easy flight. Utapao had no lines. It was fun to walk out on the tarmac and board the plane there. Beautiful scenery below. I stayed at Karon beach and loved it. I took the ferry from Phuket to Ao Nang. Beautiful trip going around the small islands and stacks. I liked Ao Nong. Some good eats there and the scenery outside my hotel was nice with the jungle on the right, water in front, and that big cliff on the left. Did not like the beach at Ao Nong though. Sand was very slimy, I hope just a lot of vegetable matter. I went over to Railey beach and that was OK. I took the bus to the Krabi airport and I later flew from Krabi to BKK. I spent a few days in BKK made a day visa run to Poi Pet and back. Stayed a bit, then took BTS and the airport rail link to BKK. Kind of just checking things out since I had never taken the rail link before. Then I took a bus back to Pattaya. I stayed in Pattaya for a while. Then I took a bus from Pattaya Third road to Kohn Khan. About a 6 hour trip but very choppy. The driver liked to use his horn a lot and brake a lot. Stayed at Kohn Kahn a few days. I didn't find much to do. The mall was OK. I enjoyed the zoo. On a whim checked out of my hotel and took the night bus from Khon Khan to Phuket. I can't recommend this trip. Too long a trip. But I was kind of glad to go into Phuket via the bridgeway. I stayed in Phuket at Karon and Kata mostly for a while and then I spent three nights in Patong. Not much news to report about Patong. I found a decent hotel not far from bangla road. I hit the mall and saw a movie (it was a hot and humid day so that felt good). Patong beach was too crowded so didn't bother to swim. Karon is so much nicer. One night at Bangla road. Nothing new there that hasn't already been reported. One thing I really did like was the seafood places just around the corner from bangla off the main road. Some place that had 5 or 6 restaurants basically under one roof. Fish and crabs all were fresh and kicking in the tanks. Decently priced too. I flew back to Utapao. I was about to pay for a taxi back to Pattaya as the price kept getting negotiated down at the booth when I noticed a minivan service. That was a great price and it took me right back to Soi Diana. Hung out in Pattaya for a few weeks and then bus back to BKK and EVA flight back to the USA. I got to say that EVA Deluxe Elite class is a great bargain. Large business class seats in a separate section. Very comfortable, decently reclining. Much much better than coach. I get several hours of sleep and it is actually an enjoyable part of the trip. At checkin no lines at the counter. I don't care about the priority boarding feature, because the seats and storage are no issues.

Heading back to Thailand in a few weeks. Phuket on the menu again. Got to hit the national museum in Bangkok this time. Pattaya just because it is so convenient. Maybe a train ride somewhere finally. After a dozen trips I haven't done one of those yet. I might have to be in the country during Song Kran so I will want to find a place that is not crazy for a week like Pattaya is.

Edited by gk10002000
  • Like 1

I was interested to fly to Samui from No Stress Utapao but I thought 18-20,000 Baht for two, return, was a bit high for a relatively short flight. I suppose it is that way for the convenience at both ends, landing directly on Samui in particular.