Minivan incident

davedudek

Hi all,

Travelled from aonang to patong with several travellers last week. 400 baht minivan ride. I'm not going disclose the travellers nor the bus company until I get a resolution after I've left here. I don't see the point of using the boys in blue. Which I should. Cod it was absolutely disgusting. 2 Chinese girls had paid upfront to get to chalking area. A family from uk with two babies less than 3 years old. The first instance the Chinese girl had telephoned the hotel and delivered a lost bag. She offered the woman 100 bahts who refused. The driver then opened the door down the road snatching the 100 baht from the Chinese tourist as some kind of tip. 1 hour later the driver stopping in the middle of jungle urinating at the back of the van. Then stopped at Phuket in the middle of a shopping big c area. Making the family and babies get off the bus and asking for cash to take them to Phuket town. Then telling the Chinese girls 300 or get off the bus. They paid. I wonder why he took me patong and never asked me for any money. Cos I've took a photo of the receipt. And the registration of his bus before I got on. I was not bothered but this is not on and I later saw the family who told me they had to pay 300 bahts to get a taxi to take them to Phuket town. They all had paid already to get to there destinations. What is the best way to eradicate this problem? Go to the police or just come on here and tell everyone.

Too late for this, but you should have recorded him doing these things with your phone. Discreetly of course. THAT is what people will want to see, real video proof. That sort of thing gets passed around on social media rapidly. Without proof he did what he did, you just have you saying it happened.

Whatever you do, let this be a lesson for you, to avoid those vans as much as possible. Few of them are honest.

Here's another classic example which took place this morning. A young Aussie guy negotiated a 20 Baht fare with a tuk-tuk for a a short journey to Central Festival in Phuket. On arrival, the driver demanded 200 Baht which they Aussie refused to pay. The tuk-tuk driver subsequently smashed him in the face. Story here: http://phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tuktuk-driver-punches-Australian-face-fare/48294#ad-image-0

I checked out the condo where the Aussie was staying and then used Google to calculate the distance. Here's the map showing the route: http://goo.gl/maps/xSGOZ

As you can see, it's just over 3.1km using the shortest route (grey), but Google figures it'll be quicker taking the longer (blue) route which is 3.8km

Either way, it isn't worth much more than 20 Baht and maybe that's why the passenger didn't consider it suspicious.

Here's another classic example which took place this morning. A young Aussie guy negotiated a 20 Baht fare with a tuk-tuk for a a short journey to Central Festival in Phuket. On arrival, the driver demanded 200 Baht which they Aussie refused to pay. The tuk-tuk driver subsequently smashed him in the face. Story here: http://phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tuktuk-driver-punches-Australian-face-fare/48294#ad-image-0

I checked out the condo where the Aussie was staying and then used Google to calculate the distance. Here's the map showing the route: http://goo.gl/maps/xSGOZ

As you can see, it's just over 3.1km using the shortest route (grey), but Google figures it'll be quicker taking the longer (blue) route which is 3.8km

Either way, it isn't worth much more than 20 Baht and maybe that's why the passenger didn't consider it suspicious.

It wasn't worth 180 Baht to be attacked. In these circumstances one needs to learn from the situation so as not to repeat the situation in the future. He should have yielded gracefully and realised, nobody anywhere in Thailand, Thai or Farang goes anywhere for 20 Baht in a Tuk Tuk. That is a 1980s price. When travelling in Asia minor confusions arise about money. 180 Baht is a minor amount. He was probably in the right but he did not have the might so should have resolved the situation diferently.

I live only ~2km from the bus station in Chiang Mai. A tuk-tuk to my home costs me a low of 100 baht to a high of 120 baht. That represents about 10 data points. Of course, I always seem to arrive late at night or very early in the morning, when competition is less and prices presumably at their highest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Got back home last week after a good trip to Los Smiles.

Few incidents including this one I have topic already running.

In light to complaining or revealing the minibus company.

Now I am out of Thailand I can mention to everyone to avoid this name of a minivan company. I would ask anyone if they can get it checked out for TAT license.

it operates from Krabi to Phuket from Ao nang guesthouses.

I have emailed the resorts who have not even replied about the complaint.

LAEM SAK BAY RESORT AND TOUR.

This is the name and shame I am writing about.

Drivers extorting money in Phuket after people already paying for the ride up front.

Please do all you can to be vigilant if you use this company or just don't use them at all.

Edited by davedudek