Canine nuisance...what's the answer?

Duggsie

If you are interested in changing things long term, you could always support the Soi Dog Foundation: http://www.soidog.org/en/about-soi-dog/

I liked your post but misunderstood what the Soidog.org group was all about.

Once I viewed their website I realised it is a charity dedicated to save and re-home the poor mutts whilst likely lining their own pockets from donations, in the bargain.

I don't want to see the soi dogs "rescued". I want to see them gone (in other words, I don't want to see them at all).

Quickest and most humane way to do this is to just make an example of them to their owners and/or those who might care about them.

Call me "harsh" if you will but, in some instances, tough love is the best love of all.

You did not read all, they also castrate and neuter dogs and cats, which is the only way to control the problem. When I grew up in Kenya, we had the same problem until a neutering campaign was started.

• Like 1

Honestly, I never quite understand the fuss. I have been running, cycling and biking in SE Asia for 20 years and never had an issue. Maybe I have been lucky, but I would be a lot more scared of the massive dogs back home than the mutts here.

The 'fuss' is constant barking, biting, spreading of disease (soi dogs) pissing and shitting and being a traffic hazzard. Reason is a total waste of time with owners who think it's normal to go to work for ten hours and leave their dogs in the yard barking all day long, poison or move are the only options here. When it comes to soi dogs mass culling needs to be done on a nationwide scale, namby pamby neutering of a few thousand by western do gooders is at most a useless drop in the dog poo. Soi dogs are a health risk and a menace and need to be KILLED OFF.

The "namby pamby neutering" as you so eloquently put it, has worked in other countries. I am pretty sure that many Western European countries were awash at the beginning of the last century; not really that long ago.

drinking, fighting, spreading of disease) pissing and shitting and being a traffic hazzard

Seen plenty of those hanging out in bars in Thailand, but killing them off seems a little too radical and they are to old for a need to be castrated....

• Like 1

Get pepper spray as the authorities won't do anything. Just don't hit yourself;-)

I thought of that and also an extendible cop's-batton with which to beat the beggars off, but that's only solving my problem...not THE problem.

It is seriously time for a cull, in my opinion.

What I'd like to see is a posse of canine bounty hunters to be employed with the order that any dog not behind gates or muzzled to be "put-down", there and then and on the spot (owners left to clear up the mess). No ifs &'s or buts - non-negotiable canine-euthanasia.

It would likely only take one sweep of such a squad to convince the owners of keeping their hounds either locked behind the gates or muzzled.

Now there's an idea.....What chance of a muzzle-enforcement act ever being adopted in Thailand?

The dogs that are bothering you do not have an owner most likely, they were probably abanden, they need to be culled, on the other hand crate them and ship to Vietnam for woofy burgers.

Honestly, I never quite understand the fuss. I have been running, cycling and biking in SE Asia for 20 years and never had an issue. Maybe I have been lucky, but I would be a lot more scared of the massive dogs back home than the mutts here.

The 'fuss' is constant barking, biting, spreading of disease (soi dogs) pissing and shitting and being a traffic hazzard. Reason is a total waste of time with owners who think it's normal to go to work for ten hours and leave their dogs in the yard barking all day long, poison or move are the only options here. When it comes to soi dogs mass culling needs to be done on a nationwide scale, namby pamby neutering of a few thousand by western do gooders is at most a useless drop in the dog poo. Soi dogs are a health risk and a menace and need to be KILLED OFF.

The "namby pamby neutering" as you so eloquently put it, has worked in other countries. I am pretty sure that many Western European countries were awash at the beginning of the last century; not really that long ago.

drinking, fighting, spreading of disease) pissing and shitting and being a traffic hazzard

Seen plenty of those hanging out in bars in Thailand, but killing them off seems a little too radical and they are to old for a need to be castrated....

Been in Pattaya then ?

• Like 1