The holes are going finally in Jomtien.

GaryB1263

The "holes" on Soi 5 are actually future underground bunkers for people who need a rapid escape from the terrible noise/music coming from two Thai idiots w/ guitars at the Fifth Jomtien (Residence) hotel on Soi 5. After three months of non-stop noise pollution, it has finally been proven to be a major health hazard. The City has recognized it as one of Jomtien's most serious problems and taken positive action. Rumour has it that the City will soon be issuing ear plugs as a temporary fix until the bunkers are completed. Consideration is also being given to banning Thais from playing and/or singing any Western tune--especially "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around The Old Oak Tree," "I Did It My Way," and any song by the Eagles, Eric Clapton, Hank Williams, Dire Straits, the Beatles and Chris Rhea. Thais will still be permitted to sing "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window." Why? I have no idea. whistling.gif

• Like 2

To fill a hole you need to replace it with a bump. Of degradable material that will take you back to the hole condition. Preferably not near over head lighting so you can hit both bump or hole in the dark.

The material should also be colour coded so that it blends in with the rest of the road and make it only visible at speeds of less that 10km/hr...

The bumps are not to be confused with hummocks. These are caused by laying a road on very soft sub surface soil and results in a roller coaster effect that can and will throw a pillion bike rider off in a heartbeat.

At excessive car speeds on hummocks back seat passengers will suffer from motion sickness. Whilst the driver will notice he has little or no steering ability as his wheels only make light contact with the ground.

The degradable material should not be so degradable as to eventually assist in blocking drains when it rains, it should readily mix and set with polystyrene, plastic bags and red rubber bands once it has gone far enough down the drains and out of sunlight it has to set solid.

If the drains are blocked badly enough in the rainy season it should give the "global warming" believers ample evidence that sea levels are rising at alarming rates.

I got this information from a helpful guide called "Highway and Soi maintenance for Idiots".

• Like 1

To fill a hole you need to replace it with a bump. Of degradable material that will take you back to the hole condition. Preferably not near over head lighting so you can hit both bump or hole in the dark.

The material should also be colour coded so that it blends in with the rest of the road and make it only visible at speeds of less that 10km/hr...

The bumps are not to be confused with hummocks. These are caused by laying a road on very soft sub surface soil and results in a roller coaster effect that can and will throw a pillion bike rider off in a heartbeat.

At excessive car speeds on hummocks back seat passengers will suffer from motion sickness. Whilst the driver will notice he has little or no steering ability as his wheels only make light contact with the ground.

The degradable material should not be so degradable as to eventually assist in blocking drains when it rains, it should readily mix and set with polystyrene, plastic bags and red rubber bands once it has gone far enough down the drains and out of sunlight it has to set solid.

If the drains are blocked badly enough in the rainy season it should give the "global warming" believers ample evidence that sea levels are rising at alarming rates.

I got this information from a helpful guide called "Highway and Soi maintenance for Idiots".

You are indeed correct in many of your observations regarding the correct manner to proceed in the fine art of 'hole filling'.

My father, being a fully qualified 'navigator' from the Emerald Isle, along with his father before him and his father's father's father were all men of the road, as indeed were his father's father's father's father. In fact the family connection to road building goes back to the 'book of celts' and the unfortunate incident of St. Patrick, a famous navvy, and his distasteful 'one eyed snake' trick, a reason, I'm led to believe caused the banning of snakes from Eire.

However, I digress. Overhead lighting is to be avoided at all times when filling holes, due to the fact that this can lead to a reluctance to fill the hole, once the true nature of the damage can be clearly ascertained.

As you correctly point out the difference between a bump and hummock have caused the dismounting of many a good rider, with sometimes rather disturbing side effects.

An old rule, that has stood me in good stead, is never to use degradable material of any kind unless it can flushed from the hole with minimum resistance, should the need arise.

Man made materials are of course, as you point out, more than acceptable.

Global warming- not on my planet, Sir