Google is giving away 2GB of Drive space for free

Jonathan Fairfield

Google is giving away 2GB of Drive space for free

702x336xGoogle-Drive-logo-702x336.jpg.pa

Google has announced it is giving away an additional 2GB of storage space on Google Drive.

In order to claim the additional storage, Google wants users to complete a quick security check as part of Safer Internet Day.

• Like 1

They're making you DO SOMETHING before they give you something free. We should take this to the EU courts!

Simple Security Checkup

With check boxes green, you are eligible for the 2GB of free storage. Google says that they will grant the storage bump to security checkup completers around February 28, confirming with an email.

Unfortunately, Google Apps accounts are not eligible for the bonus storage. sad.png

They're making you DO SOMETHING before they give you something free. We should take this to the EU courts!

Simple Security Checkup

With check boxes green, you are eligible for the 2GB of free storage. Google says that they will grant the storage bump to security checkup completers around February 28, confirming with an email.

Unfortunately, Google Apps accounts are not eligible for the bonus storage. sad.png

Anyway it isn't free they trade your personal informations you upload to that space. I rather buy a 2 GB HD and keep my things private.

• Like 2

I have yet to really embrace the 'cloud'. For stuff that I don't really care about or can easily replace, sure. Dropbox is great for all the ThaiVisa graphic attachments.

But when accounts can get hacked, passwords changed, account locked out due to Terms of Service violations, etc, etc. ...Nope, not gonna do it.

• Like 2

I have yet to really embrace the 'cloud'. For stuff that I don't really care about or can easily replace, sure. Dropbox is great for all the ThaiVisa graphic attachments.

But when accounts can get hacked, passwords changed, account locked out due to Terms of Service violations, etc, etc. ...Nope, not gonna do it.

It's funny - I oversee over USD $50K/mth in cloud spend at work, but no way would I use it for my own data :P

• Like 2

Wow a whole 2GB? Maybe just create a new email and get 15Gb for free or whatever it is you get by default.

That was one of the reasons I created 3 Google Apps (Free) accounts a few years ago. Though I have yet to activate more that a few accounts.

For some reason I like the DropBox model for 'cloud' storage and sharing.