Fish for making 'fish & chips'.

Carlosm

• 2 weeks later...

Now what about the chips I've had mixed results with my potatoes in Thailand, I don't do frozen French fries (horrible things).

I like to keep my potatoes (chipped) in salted water overnight, then fry them in a medium heat oil to soften. Once soft remove them from the oil and let them stand for ten minutes (fish prep time) when prep is finished I drop them in a wok of hot oil, once brown and crispy remove. Fantastic.....

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

Now what about the chips I've had mixed results with my potatoes in Thailand, I don't do frozen French fries (horrible things).

I like to keep my potatoes (chipped) in salted water overnight, then fry them in a medium heat oil to soften. Once soft remove them from the oil and let them stand for ten minutes (fish prep time) when prep is finished I drop them in a wok of hot oil, once brown and crispy remove. Fantastic.....

Fantastic....sounds like it, but as you said, you have had mixed results. What has worked for you ?

I used to make my own chips but they/I lacked consistency that I needed for a restaurant. I turned to Makro crinkle cut 12mm frozen chips.

I would like to have another crack at home made chips, or home fries, and would welcome opinions on the best of the available potatoes.

I know I'm late to the party, but I've never seen fish and chips that weren't made with cod. Cod not only tastes right but it's firm enough to survive the ordeal of handling, breading and cooking. Cod has the taste, texture and look I've always seen.

Also, I'm and avid salmon fisherman and many times I catch more than I can eat so I filet it and freeze it. I've done the same with cod and halibut. I really can't tell much difference between fresh and frozen.

Is it possible that frozen isn't handled properly between catching and freezing? I bleed and filet mine as soon as caught and put them on ice. Then when home they go straight into the freezer, properly wrapped.

I'd say you're correct re the handling of frozen fish neversure, that's from my experience also, was 16 years working in the North Sea in the scottish fishing industry, nowadays most trawlers likely have much better and faster freezing facilities than before, but the key in keeping the taste is the shortest possible time between catching or more specifically death and freezing before more bacteria sets in, some species deteriorate faster than others, life as a fisherman had some advantages and one was bringing home daily caught fresh fish, which is why I normally could tell fresh from frozen, cod tends to have a better taste frozen than haddock does,,, but a fresh haddock is very difficult to better, my opinion only of course

• 2 years later...