Thai Police impound illegally imported luxury cars

webfact

Police impound illegally imported luxury cars

11-2-2558-15-18-11-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Economic crime suppression police have impounded two luxury cars at an imported car showroom on Ratchadapisek road after a customer complained that he could not register a car bought from this showroom.

Impounded for taxation check are Porsche Carrera 2 and Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

Both luxury cars have no documents to show where they were derived from, and the number in the registration books of both cars did not match then serial numbers appeared on the car bodies.

Chief of the investigation team Pol Col Kriengsak Kalayawatanacharoen said the search of the showroom care after police received complaint from a customer of the showroom that he bought a Porsche car last year but could not register the car with the Land Transport Department.

The police also searched several imported car showrooms on Sukhumvit, 26, Ramkhamhaeng and Bangkapi areas and found several cars do not have purchase documents, and registered numbers also do not match serial numbers on the at bodies.

He said this indicated these luxury cars were falsely declared to avoid taxation,

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-impound-illegally-imported-luxury-cars

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-11

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There will be a few puckered sphincters tonight as the owners of grey area supercars wonder whether they will receive a knock on their door by uniformed personnel.

Keep up the good work and don't leave it at a couple of old Porsches.

Well they have had a couple of years to hide them, as this import scam was started way back by DSI Tarint, who I might add did absolutely SFA.

It's time to stop taxing nice cars at 150%. At the moment anyone paying that price might as well walk around with 'I am stupid' stamped on his forehead. But not everyone wants to drive a pick up, give people a choice. Scrap the tax on wine as well , has nobody heard of the health benefits of red wine in this country?

Think more like 250% for this kind of car.

• Like 2

It's time to stop taxing nice cars at 150%. At the moment anyone paying that price might as well walk around with 'I am stupid' stamped on his forehead. But not everyone wants to drive a pick up, give people a choice. Scrap the tax on wine as well , has nobody heard of the health benefits of red wine in this country?

Yes put it up to 300% and reduce less than 1 million baht made in Thailand vehicle tax, who wants German stuff anyway. give me an Austin allegro anyday.

as an aside, how old would the Porsche in the photo be

Edited by steve187

Yes put it up to 300% and reduce less than 1 million baht made in Thailand vehicle tax, who wants German stuff anyway. give me an Austin allegro anyday.

as an aside, how old would the Porsche in the photo be

It could be from the 1980s. 30 years close enough.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/cat/3/35/carrera/

• Like 1

300% to be exact.

What I find is strange is that although the import tax is about 300%, Thailand is, apart from Myanmar (although that could change soon) the only country in ASEAN to legally allow the importation and registration of cars with the steering column on the wrong side of the car, for the side of the road traffic drives on. That means that in Thailand, LHD registration is legal. I think this should end. Thailand drives on the left and RHD is the only arrangement that should be allowed.

Singapore, Bangladesh and India all drive on the left and ban LHD registrations.

Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam all drive on the right and ban RHD registrations, although Cambodia and Laos seem to not be so strict about it.

Myanmar, which I believe should drive on the left again is now debating making LHD compulsory for future car imports.

Can someone tell me why Thailand, even though it has very, very few LHD cars on it's road doesn't ban LHD vehicles too as it should for safety reasons?

Of course I'm only talking about permanent imports; temporary imports for tourism purposes should continue to be allowed.

300% to be exact.

What I find is strange is that although the import tax is about 300%, Thailand is, apart from Myanmar (although that could change soon) the only country in ASEAN to legally allow the importation and registration of cars with the steering column on the wrong side of the car, for the side of the road traffic drives on. That means that in Thailand, LHD registration is legal. I think this should end. Thailand drives on the left and RHD is the only arrangement that should be allowed.

Singapore, Bangladesh and India all drive on the left and ban LHD registrations.

Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam all drive on the right and ban RHD registrations, although Cambodia and Laos seem to not be so strict about it.

Myanmar, which I believe should drive on the left again is now debating making LHD compulsory for future car imports.

Can someone tell me why Thailand, even though it has very, very few LHD cars on it's road doesn't ban LHD vehicles too as it should for safety reasons?

Of course I'm only talking about permanent imports; temporary imports for tourism purposes should continue to be allowed.

Why would left hand drive or right hand drive rules make any difference in Thailand?

If you have lived here for any time you will know that it is not necessary to be able to see before overtaking nor are any logical rules applied on the road. Thai drivers go where they want and ignore all other vehicles.

As long as you have your lucky Buddha amulet and a few hundred baht with your licence there will never be a problem.

As for grey or black imports.....use the excuse of Khun Chalerm. You have loaned the car from a friend in Singapore.

• Like 2

Thailand has the 5th highest applied import tariff on "transport equipment" among all countries of the world tracked by the WTO. An average of 21% across all products in that broad category. This can't be a net positive for the country.

it is for some, and its always those "some" who wont allow such changes

• Like 2

What about a Bentley, driven by a police Captain?

Pol. Capt. Chalerm has repeated stated that he is not the owner of all those fine cars he is driven in and that they were 'loaned' to him. He has never explained why someone would loan him such expensive cars, though.

Could he get one of his friends to loan me one?

What about a Bentley, driven by a police Captain?

Pol. Capt. Chalerm has repeated stated that he is not the owner of all those fine cars he is driven in and that they were 'loaned' to him. He has never explained why someone would loan him such expensive cars, though.

Could he get one of his friends to loan me one?

Actually, I don't think the cars are loaned by his friends but by people he is extorting. His number one asset has always been his knowledge of who is doing wrong. This knowledge can be used to get life-long payments and favors.

• Like 1