Police check ‘erotic garden’ in Chiang Mai

Thaivisa News

Chiang Mai:- Police Wednesday rushed to check an erotic-theme garden in Chiang Mai following suggestion on a foreign website that something extraordinary might have been going on there.

But Mae Rim police chief Pol Col Adul Somnuek did not find anything illegal in the garden, owned by Phetcharawan Kamminga, 49 and her Australian husband.

Phetcharawan insisted that her Erotic Garden and Tea House is only a tea house and garden that display arts in form of wooden and concrete sculptures.

She said the headline of an article written by an American photo journalist might cause misunderstanding among online people, prompting them to suspect that there was prostitution at her place.

Petcharawan insisted that all sculptures that are being displayed are erotic-theme arts.

Among the sculptures, there are several giant phalluses and giant breast as well as a sculpture of a woman hugging a phallus.

Phetcharawan told the district police chief that she and husband, who is an archeologist, has been living at the village for years and has gradually designed the garden with a budget of Bt3 million.

Her garden has just been open to tourists on January 9. It is open from 10 am to 5 pm and the entrance fee is Bt50.

Adul said he led his team of police to check the place after learning about it from a website but he did not find any illegal activity. He said the place is not a sex hangout as suspected by some online users.

“It’s just a private place with walls and just a coffee shop. No prostitution or sex activities here,” Adul said.

• Like 1

These people are so sensitive. Politicians are robbing the country blind, human trafficking is thriving and people in powerful positions know about it, "people" get away with murder etc and they worry about a little prostitution now and then.

I am somewhat surprised that the Thai Police would react so. They must NOT get around in their own capital. I first thought of the 'Penis Shrine' in Bangkok also named on the grounds of the Noi Lert Hotel......Shrine Of Goddess Tubtim.

tubtim-shrine.jpg

• Like 2

plenty of trouble makers but it all makes for good free PR anyway, I will have a coffee there and check it out one day

I've been there and I would recommend it. Very nice and serene place. As for the erotic bit?Nope, nothing at all. Exotic maybe, not erotic though

"Adul said he led his team of police to check the place after learning about it from a website but he did not find any illegal activity. He said the place is not a sex hangout as suspected by some online users."

“It’s just a private place with walls and just a coffee shop. No prostitution or sex activities here,” Adul said.

I guess that's what maybe called a Happy Ending !!!

This non story is so stupid. A mere stroll along Ta Prachan market in BKK will show Buddhist style phallus and naked statuary mixed in with the various amulets. It's to do with 'fertility'. Thai Visa seriously low on any 'news' here now. Don't think we haven't noticed ...