Bookmarks

zlodnick

Ive only had internet for 3 months and not sure if Im using the correct terminology, so please bear with me.

When I turn on my laptop, I click on Google chrome and it takes me to a page with several bookmarks. Not sure how they got there, but they are the sites I use frequently and its handy because I dont have to sign in.

Im just concerned that eventually something will go wrong with the laptop and I will have to take it in for repair and the repairman will have access to my email, etc. My banking still has to be signed in, at least I know that much.

Is it ok to use it this way?

That's up to you.

Internet Browsers use 'Cookies', 'Image Cache', and 'Stored Passwords', 'Auto-Fill', 'Bookmarks', 'Sites Last/Frequently Visited', 'Browsing History' and 'Download History' to help the end-user have a better experience.

But, yes, having them does create a personal risk if/when your computer is operated by an untrustworthy third party.

You can chose NOT to store your passwords (but then you'll have to remember and enter them each time).

You can turn off Auto-Fill so website forms don't get autopopulated with your personal information (but then... )

You can routinely 'Clean / Erase Cookies' (but then sites won't remember your preferences)

You can erase your user 'Browser History', 'Sites Frequently Visited' and image cache (but then you won't be able to search for that 'thing' you found but can't remember where)

You can learn how to erase specific info from the browsers on a regular basis.

You can also install Third-Party Password Programs that work with the majority of Internet Browsers that will store all your sensitive/critical info in an encrypted database only after correctly providing the key password will it auto-fill the name/pass of the site for you. Much more secure, and as a bonus the same encrypted database can be used across many of your devices.

So, yea, it's important to think about these things. Whenever a tech or other third party has independent access to your computer, automatically assume they will look through all your pictures, copy your music and look though your browser history and bookmarked sites. Also, name/passwords on many popular browsers are NOT ENCRYPTED and can easily be revealed from within the browser. So using third-party programs like keepass or lastpass are a very good idea.

Best solution is to take out the harddrive. The repairman doesn't need it, unless the issue is software related. On YouTube you can find many samples in how to take it out. In most cases it is just a matter of opening the lid from where the harddrive sits, take out some screws and remove the drive.

Best thing to do is to familiarize yourself with the software you're using.

In the case of Google Chrome, spend a couple of hours perusing their tutorials so that you know what you're doing. Otherwise, something might appear which you don't recognize and you'll just assume it's OK. But it might be malicious. The tutorials illustrate how to avoid those kinds of pitfalls among many other things: https://support.google.com/chrome/?hl=en-GB#

Like RichCor suggested though, it's best to use an offline password manager for which only you know the access password to. I use Keepass which is open source and free: http://www.keepass.info/

Edited by Xircal