PM initiates idea to build high-speed trains to Pattaya and Hua Hin

webfact

PM initiates idea to build high-speed trains to Pattaya and Hua Hin

BANGKOK, 12 February 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered the construction of high-speed trains connecting Bangkok with famous tourist sites and invited the private sector to participate in the project.

The Prime Minister on Thursday said the high-speed train project from Bangkok to Pattaya or Hua Hin might be a joint venture in a Public-Private Partnership (PPP). Thai and foreign investors were both welcomed, said the premier.

Tracks of the high speed trains are expected to be constructed in parallel with the one-meter or 1.453-meter tracks.

As for the U.S., the PM said it was still necessary for the Thai government to trade and invest with all countries despite the U.S.’ misunderstanding of Thailand’s internal affairs. Thailand and the U.S. needed to continue their trade relations as politics was politics, said the premier.

Gen. Prayuth also instructed all ministries to integrate information on their investment strategies so that he could use it for his official trips to foreign countries.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-12 footer_n.gif

"....has ordered the construction of high-speed trains connecting Bangkok with famous tourist sites ...."

The way these guys are talking there are going to be High Speed Trains laugh.pnglaugh.png running all over the place. You'd think they were going to build a model railway.They don't seem to have a clue as to the planning and track layout involved or they would be a little more cautious when they speak. Maybe it's the reporters that get it mixed up?

Perhaps, with respect, our resident railway expert ExPratt might cast some light on this idea of running HST alongside existing R.O.W. and tracks.

I was actually under the impression they would be building a fast, efficient railway system, a bit like it could have been in the UK. Let the private sector finance and run it. Or is that an unwise thing to do?

• Like 2

His intentions and thoughts are good.

Thailand has to join the more technologically advanced countries.

And it will be great for tourism and also for Thais.

What I'm worried about and expressed my worries before when Yingluck initiated the high speed train introduction to Thailand, is the operation, handling and maintenance of these trains.

I wish, I could trust the Thais more and have more confidence in them..........but again I could be wrong........as many good posters remind me constantly.

My worthless opinion is try to upgrade the existing trains, maintain the trucks properly. and do something about rail crossing safety and then look to the high speed trains.

The roads to hell are paved with good intentions my neo-Thai friend

• Like 1

Why not shoot a line up to Mukdahan while you're at it.............make it a bit easier for the visa runners.

Nong Khai is already in the planning stages, and it the train goes all the way to China (that is the master plan, no?), it will pass through Vientianne. Mukdahan is a bit out of the way. What can you do in Mukdahan that you cannot do in Vientianne?

Why not shoot a line up to Mukdahan while you're at it.............make it a bit easier for the visa runners.

Nong Khai is already in the planning stages, and it the train goes all the way to China (that is the master plan, no?), it will pass through Vientianne. Mukdahan is a bit out of the way. What can you do in Mukdahan that you cannot do in Vientianne?

How is that possible? There is a mountain range in the way. It is called Laos.

PM initiates idea to build high-speed trains to Pattaya and Hua Hin.

This will probably lead to very high costs.
To reach a cost-recovery revenue over the lifetime span, is more than questionable.
The ticket price would probably be compared to other, alternative transport options, too high.
The population (Pattaya / Hua Hin) and traffic numbers are simply too small.

First, they should better renovate and modernize the existing railway network.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

PM initiates idea to build high-speed trains to Pattaya and Hua Hin.

This will probably lead to very high costs.

To reach a cost-recovery revenue over the lifetime span, is more than questionable.

The ticket price would probably be compared to other, alternative transport options, too high.

The population (Pattaya / Hua Hin) and traffic numbers are simply too small.

First, they should better renovate and modernize the existing railway network.

But it says Hua Hin or Pattaya. So he doesn't yet know whether he wants to go East or west. My bets on going east as he is placing as much distance between him and the west as he possibly can.

"Maybe in the Chinese model there is a justification, but in the real world not a jot of truth."

Exactly. China is a huge country

That is exactly the point. HSR only makes sense with huge distance. As I tried to point out in my previous post, short distances, small time savings, huge cost makes no sense.

Of course if 'politicians' and I use the word loosely, want to make great sound bites, well go for it, but the reality is doesn't hold up to any analysis.

Not of course that I actually expect any of the crack Thai journalistic community to actually do any real work other than just repeat what they are told!

• Like 1

For the Two routes Bkk-Hua Hin and BKK-Pattaya, something around 140-160, which is now average speed for new ballast track, Journey would be covered in about an hour, Talk of "High Speed:" for these routes is pure fantasy , won;t haoppen

• Like 2

PM woos private sector to build high-speed trains
ERICH PARPART
THE NATION

30253985-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha has invited the private sector to build short-distance, high-speed trains to attractive sites near Bangkok in order to facilitate tourism.

The government will provide support in terms of acquiring land for construction along with tax and non-tax incentives, similar to the Japanese public and private partnership model. Germany is believed to have shown an interest in investing, he said.

The possible rail routes being considered for this high-speed train project are Bangkok-Pattaya and Bangkok-Hua Hin.

The cost, the conditions, funding and construction plans, along with possible incentives could be proposed by the private sector and the government would be willing to talk to anyone about the matter, he said.

"The Board of Investment [boI] has discussed today about possible investment in high-speed trains to support the tourism industry," Prayut said.

The investment will be in the nature of a public and private partnership as there are many well-funded companies that can afford such an investment and the government can provide land for this venture," the prime minister said, after presiding over the BoI's first meeting of the year. "A similar project in Japan for a 700-kilometre high-speed railway costs around Bt400 billion," he said.

He said the government would provide land already owned by the State Railway of Thailand for such an investment. However, the construction of a high-speed line, which would require a relatively straight route, might require the government to expropriate land and provide compensation to people who might be affected in the process.

'Not part of seven-year plan'

Industry Minister Chakramon Phasukavanich clarified that the new idea for a high-speed railway is not part of the government's seven-year plan to build infrastructure worth Bt3 trillion. He said "the government would find it hard to try and fund it on its own", explaining that as the reason why the idea was being floated, to see if it draws a response from the private sector.

"The speed for this new high-speed train idea would be similar to the speed of the [Japanese] Shinkansen, which requires a straight railway line to operate on. This would mean that the construction might require expropriation of land and the estimated cost of Bt400 billion is not expensive. But the amount the government is expected to spend on investment in railways such as double tracks and standard gauges is already high, so this project is open for private sector participation," he said.

He added that Germany's ambassador to Thailand had revealed to him this week that Siemens AG had expressed an interest in the project, as they have extensive expertise in building high-speed railways. The most likely route that was being discussed was Bangkok to Hua Hin via Phetchaburi province. He believes the Bangkok-Pattaya route would be more feasible, as it would pass through Sri Racha district and Laem Chabang Port before Pattaya and could be extended to Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate in the future.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/PM-woos-private-sector-to-build-high-speed-trains-30253985.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-13

To facilitate tourism?

What is this idiot talking about. 10 bazillion taxis going to hua him and pattaya every day and he thinks a train can facilitate tourism?

And what are the locals supposed to drive when they get where they are going? Who takes a train when it is a 2 hour drive to the beach?

This man really is a fool

• Like 2