Two Russians nabbed in Phuket for overstaying visas

webfact

I would really like to know what the officers meant by "acting suspiciously." Wearing sunglasses in a built-up area, perhaps?

Wearing loud shirts in a built up area........big offence in Phuket..

they are not over crowded in Europe because they are here.

Good news. It is about time the Thai government starts cracking down on the thousands of foreign criminals and foreigners over staying their visas that have been hiding here for years. Only five years they are getting off easy. I am sure many are now hiding under their beds with their bar girls peeing in their pants. Thailand makes it far to easy to enter without better backgrounds checks and allows far too many undesirables to stay here. If your unable to afford to stay here, have a legit visa and stay out of trouble you should not be allowed to enter and if caught tossed in jail and deported as most countries do. Pattaya would be a good place to start hunting them down.

"and if caught tossed in jail and deported as most countries do" cheesy.gif

If true most European jails would be overcrowded Mr JungleJustice Jim

If banned for 5 years.. Would clear up the whole debate of whether need to overstay more than 90 days before can be banned for 5 years..

As one guy had 30 stamp that just expire last month...

So far less than 90 days..

AFAIK there are two different penalty categories.

1) More lenient, if a person overstays and later reports himself to the authorities.

2) If the officials catch a person overstaying, like in this case. Then the blacklisting is longer (5-10 years).

only about 30 day overstay for one guy, and receives a 5 year ban...... harsh

Not harsh at all, why should the majority of us take the time and effort to go and PURCHASE the correct visa when these 2 russians, like most russians, think they can do what they want when they want!

• Like 2

I don't get it, if they where just touristicing around, if they are not allowed to return in 5 years, who is the looser?? they or the Thai Tourist industry?

I thought the law was in effect already last year? with big announcements and the "crack down" speech. I think technically if one overstay just a few days they could bar you for 5 years, am I right?

Touristicing around?

You mean illegally staying in Thailand since September! I think the ban is appropriate!

You are of course right because the law is the law. But my point I think is why even have the limitation of 30, 60, 90 or whatever days? unless you are a crock (and that can perhaps be controlled in other ways) the longer you stay in Thailand the more money goes to Thailand- that was my reasoning. Of course this all is under the assumption the guys are hones tourists and not penniless or doing some criminal activity. I know this limitation exists also in other countries, but it has always been a mystery to me why.

Of course if the person is allowed to stay indefinitely he/she might become so localized they just cant leave, maybe some limit should be in place, but I think if you properly apply for let say a 200 day tourist visa and can show you can afford it at the embassy, why not?

Good news. It is about time the Thai government starts cracking down on the thousands of foreign criminals and foreigners over staying their visas that have been hiding here for years. Only five years they are getting off easy. I am sure many are now hiding under their beds with their bar girls peeing in their pants. Thailand makes it far to easy to enter without better backgrounds checks and allows far too many undesirables to stay here. If your unable to afford to stay here, have a legit visa and stay out of trouble you should not be allowed to enter and if caught tossed in jail and deported as most countries do. Pattaya would be a good place to start hunting them down.

"and if caught tossed in jail and deported as most countries do" cheesy.gif

If true most European jails would be overcrowded Mr JungleJustice Jim

Not harsh enough ! Maybe the foreigners might understand that over staying will not be tolerated.

only about 30 day overstay for one guy, and receives a 5 year ban...... harsh

Shame the UK did not act the same way, instead of all the goody goody human rights Shit, and appeals, and keeping them here for another 5 years, let alone getting kicked out

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The law the officer mentions is a proposal, not (yet) law.

Even if the proposal was in force, the amount of 'blacklist' time doesn't match what was proposed.

Unless it has been amended.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is time that the overstay rules are applied. It will also reduce the influence and presence of the foreign mafia groups and criminals on the run. Pattaya must be full of overstayers.

The problem with your thought process is that it only applies to the little fish in the pond. The real criminals, and those involved in organized crime, have the correct visas and permissions to stay.

For me anyway, one of the biggest drawbacks for the elite system, provide the 500,000 (or 2,000,000) baht and you are good to go for the next 5/20 years.

Jungle Jim, where have I been all this time ? Lived in Hua-Hin for 3 years , North of Chiang Rai for 7 years but I have never had a bar girl pee in my pants , I must get out more .

i think living in Hua Hin for three years explains a lot. What a crap hole. How many foreigners are hiding there ? Since most of Pattaya Koh Samui and Phuket has moved in that direction.

Jungle Jim, where have I been all this time ? Lived in Hua-Hin for 3 years , North of Chiang Rai for 7 years but I have never had a bar girl pee in my pants , I must get out more .

i think living in Hua Hin for three years explains a lot. What a crap hole. How many foreigners are hiding there ? Since most of Pattaya Koh Samui and Phuket has moved in that direction.

Everywhere is a crap hole to you.

Let me guess, where you are is great?