Best Hotel Close to Sukumvit for An Older Gentleman

hdkane

I have a friend visiting Thailand in April. He plans to stay in BKK for about 1 week. He is 70 years old and capable. He's been to
Thailand many times, but always under the care and support of the government. So he was always housed in rather posh surroundings, with personal drivers and such. During those times, he would work and stay in his room. This time, he's visiting on a holiday. I was thinking of finding a hotel for him in the Sukumvit area. While Sukumvit is known primarily for its adult entertainment, I also feel it would be a good place for him. There is the proximty to the BTS/MRT. Plenty of cafes, both Thai and foreign cuisine. Spas. Shopping. Police presence. Convenience stores. Air conditioning everywhere. Hospitals and pharmacies. Interesting people to watch. Am I wrong in my assumptions? Do you recommend another locale?

So...I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a hotel in the area, that is less than 2,000 baht a night? I'm not well acquainted with the accomodations in the area.

Thank you...

I like the Adelphi Suites on Sukhumvit Soi 8, I normally get a full suite with two rooms but I believe they have some cheaper studio suites which although cheaper are probably a bit more than 2000 Baht. These are more like small apartments and with a living room, work desk, kitchen area, etc.

There's also the Dynasty Grande on Sukhumvit Soi 6 which I've heard is ok and a bit cheaper but it's a hotel room, not a 'home from home' type place.

The food is very good in the restaurant downstairs in the Adelphi Suites.

• Like 2

I have a friend visiting Thailand in April. He plans to stay in BKK for about 1 week. He is 70 years old and capable. He's been to

Thailand many times, but always under the care and support of the government. So he was always housed in rather posh surroundings, with personal drivers and such. During those times, he would work and stay in his room. This time, he's visiting on a holiday. I was thinking of finding a hotel for him in the Sukumvit area. While Sukumvit is known primarily for its adult entertainment, I also feel it would be a good place for him. There is the proximty to the BTS/MRT. Plenty of cafes, both Thai and foreign cuisine. Spas. Shopping. Police presence. Convenience stores. Air conditioning everywhere. Hospitals and pharmacies. Interesting people to watch. Am I wrong in my assumptions? Do you recommend another locale?

So...I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a hotel in the area, that is less than 2,000 baht a night? I'm not well acquainted with the accomodations in the area.

Thank you...

If he's been to Thailand many times & is do Hi-So why can't he decide where he wants to stay.

I reckon he's not so upmarket & you're trying to find somewhere for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like the Adelphi Suites on Sukhumvit Soi 8, I normally get a full suite with two rooms but I believe they have some cheaper studio suites which although cheaper are probably a bit more than 2000 Baht. These are more like small apartments and with a living room, work desk, kitchen area, etc.

There's also the Dynasty Grande on Sukhumvit Soi 6 which I've heard is ok and a bit cheaper but it's a hotel room, not a 'home from home' type place.

The food is very good in the restaurant downstairs in the Adelphi Suites.

BOTH good choices.....

• Like 1

no...this is for him...for the past few decades, he was in high demand as a consultant...so previously, the governments/organizations always picked up the tab...while private companies may put up consultants on Sukumvit or even arrange trips to Pattaya, the government tends to avoid tourist areas, as they do not present Thailand in the most favorable light...also, he was never given free time...any day he was off would be planned by his hosts for visits to cultural shrines and such...he never visited "regular" places...always accompanied by a host...as for me, I already reside here in BKK, so there's no reason for me to find a hotel...and while I have visited Sukumvit in the past, there is very little there to keep me interested...the price matters a bit, because my friend has "sticker shock" about some things...a characteristic of older folks, even those who are wealthy...so while he often stays in places that cost 10,000 baht a night, I don't think he would do so if he were paying himself...

If he's been to Thailand many times & is do Hi-So why can't he decide where he wants to stay.

So just to clarify, the man has recently retired from being an in demand, highly paid consultant, which required him to be knowledgeable, smart and energetic enough to do what he was paid so much for, presumably being involved in many meetings, analyzing complex projects and businesses, probably speaking at seminars etc.

Now, a short time later, he is a doddering old man, needing help just to book a hotel, which has to be very close to all amenities because of his great age, and also must be on the cheap side despite him presumably being very wealthy after so many decades of highly paid jet setting consulting work?

Have i got this right? It sounds to me like the best thing would just to have him housed in an old peoples home, in his home country, and forget going on holiday. After all, 70 is obviously much too old to travel. In fact, this goes for anyone over 50. Even 45 is borderline. Perhaps a safe cutoff would be 42.

Edited by paddyjenkins

Finding a hotel in Bangkok to suit tastes and pocket must be one of the easier things in the life.

Try all the agencies. You canGoogle, them you know. I like Asiarooms, but many others are just as good.

Much more sensible and complete than enquiring on this forum.

no...this is for him...for the past few decades, he was in high demand as a consultant...so previously, the governments/organizations always picked up the tab...while private companies may put up consultants on Sukumvit or even arrange trips to Pattaya, the government tends to avoid tourist areas, as they do not present Thailand in the most favorable light...also, he was never given free time...any day he was off would be planned by his hosts for visits to cultural shrines and such...he never visited "regular" places...always accompanied by a host...as for me, I already reside here in BKK, so there's no reason for me to find a hotel...and while I have visited Sukumvit in the past, there is very little there to keep me interested...the price matters a bit, because my friend has "sticker shock" about some things...a characteristic of older folks, even those who are wealthy...so while he often stays in places that cost 10,000 baht a night, I don't think he would do so if he were paying himself...

So let him go to www.agoda.com then he can get any hotel he wants. You can apply filters for your search on price, location and a dozen other things.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, what is the deal with so many negative posts about a simple question...I can only conclude that most of the people who respond to posts or enquiries are simply a$$holes...occassionally, there is a post where someone asks why other farangs avoid them on the street,not wanting to innitiate any contact...THIS IS WHY...far too many of you all are stupid punters who just make rancorous smug comments. <deleted>