Non Immigrant O Single Entry 3 Month Visa

I am 50 years old, US citizen, and wish to apply for a non immigrant O single entry 3 month visa. My intention is to then apply for a retirement visa after I am in Bangkok. I meet all the requirements for the retirement visa. I have heard the Los Angeles consulate may or may not approve the non immigrant O visa and instead will issue a 90 day tourist visa. Does anyone have experience with this? I am travelling to Los Angeles next week and wonder if it is worth the effort or whether I should apply at some other consulate (Denver? Houston?). Any advice will be appreciated.

You don't seem to have much time so I would give it a try by showing them tickets as you do not have time to obtain the O-A; but not be too surprised to end up with a 60 day tourist visa. You can then convert that tourist visa with more than 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay to a non immigrant visa here in Thailand (Consulate will probably not know this so don't even ask). An extra step and 2,000 baht but can be done.

You don't seem to have much time so I would give it a try by showing them tickets as you do not have time to obtain the O-A; but not be too surprised to end up with a 60 day tourist visa. You can then convert that tourist visa with more than 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay to a non immigrant visa here in Thailand (Consulate will probably not know this so don't even ask). An extra step and 2,000 baht but can be done.

I fly from LAX to LOS on Sept 30

I took the travel to LAX next week to mean you were departing then. If you have time by all means try a Consulate other than LA in that case. You could also probably do the O-A process in the US with that much time.

Update: Los Angeles Consulate will NOT issue a type O visa unless for the specific reasons listed on their website. This does not include "preparing for retirement". They do issue O-A however. But there is not time for me, so I will get a 90 day and deal with the O and O-A when I get to Bkk.

Update: Los Angeles Consulate will NOT issue a type O visa unless for the specific reasons listed on their website. This does not include "preparing for retirement". They do issue O-A however. But there is not time for me, so I will get a 90 day and deal with the O and O-A when I get to Bkk.

Just extend the O at an Immigration office in Thailand.

so I will get a 90 day and deal with the O and O-A when I get to Bkk.

No, you will get a tourist visa, which will get you a 60-day (not 90-day) stamp upon arrival in Thailand. So, based on the 21-days-remaining rule Lop mentioned, you'll need to get cracking by day 39 in Thailand, not day 69. And the term "O-A" evaporates once you leave the States, tho' the end result will be the same, i.e., permitted to stay for one year from date of entry into Thailand.