Why I will never buy another Ford vehicle.

maderaroja

Assuming the OP is in BKK, keep in mind that 130K in BKK heat and traffic is a lot more stressful than 130K driving the highways of Texas.

I bought the top end 1.08M baht 2.0L Ford Focus about 18 months ago, and have had zero problems, although mine genuinely is low mileage. Dealer support and responsiveness has been great. Plus, compared to the similarly priced Toyota Altis competition, there is no comparison in terms of technology, performance and handling, at least to my driving taste. And with that performance, the Focus 2.0L engine gets better fuel economy than the Altis 1.8L engine.

IMHO, an Altis is just boring. As for details, even the interior hasn't really changed much in the last ten years. Check out the retro cheap LCD digital clocks they still use, even on the Camry. Sure, the depreciation it isn't nice on anything other than Japanese cars in Thailand due to Thai perceptions, but I really did not want to ride around in something I did not want because I was worried about depreciation.

Yes, everyone has their preferences and priorities, but there you go...just my opinion.

I should've mentioned earlier possibly returning to Thailand over the next few months and a second hand Ford Focus, manual, turbo diesel is on the top of a short list, along with a Bimmer which are surprisingly cheap second hand there and quite abundant, a Seat Toledo and possibly even a Scirocco as they are coming down in price as well, obviously if I have the choice and the price is right the Scirocco is my first preference but the Focus may dissuade me from it as it has good torque/Hp numbers lower price,better mileage, cheaper fuel prices and more utility. I've already got my eye on one for around 350,000 that's also had performance work done already and is pumping out 195hp, but I'm waiting for a decision to finalize my deal to return.

The age of 4 years or 100,000 km,.... whatever the car reaches first, then it's time to sell it, not to buy it. The humidity and the road conditions in Thailand destroy a vehicle faster than in European countries.

Personal point of view of course that in no way applies to everyone.. Some are quite confident and capable of owning a car over those mileage or time limits, I might sell it because it has gotten boring but not because of mileage as I get bored quite easily with common daily drivers which is definitely one bonus for being back home and having such a wide variety of nice used vehicles to choose from... Here the problem is choosing what to own, nice problem to have and not one I'm relishing losing if I return.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

The age of 4 years or 100,000 km,.... whatever the car reaches first, then it's time to sell it, not to buy it. The humidity and the road conditions in Thailand destroy a vehicle faster than in European countries.

Read post #102. Half the year it is below freezing, with half of that below minus 30C with the odd meander to minus 45C

Nonsensical post if there ever was one.. Good Lord what a broad range given the wide range of weather conditions across Europe.. I was wondering about the salt on the roads for snow and ice how does that effect a car's longevity and reliability compared to "humidity"? Rhetorical question BTW.

• Like 1

Air con and power steer parts get a hard life here. Engine hrs is a better measure of life here rather than km - a lot of time idling. Watch, you water pump will be next if you haven't changed it already. Quite possibly all normal wear and tear. For the dealt attitude, a few small stones under the valve caps of all four tyres of a few cars in the yard might fix him up:......

Good point on the engine hours, I agree for every location, I think a good feature that needs to be added is an engine hours meter, now that's a piece of tech that I'd welcome in new cars.

So, the concensus, of those responding, seems to be that 148,000 km on a Ford and it is ready for the scrap heap. That is good to consider.

You all seem to prefer Toyotas, and new ones, at that.

I could not consider new car as the dealers do not carry stock, as is done in the U.S. I would not trust someone to "hold" my money for a year while a car is being assembled. And, why does it take a year to assemble a car, anyway?

So, I will take your suggestions under consideration. Thank you.

Don't know how you came to that conclusion like your first post, it's incorrect, I'm reading a lot of positive testimonials for Ford.

Fords are just mass produced crap !! Poor builds and poor parts.

Surely if you are going to buy a car you research it first right ? Go to any reliability table and Ford aren't going to feature - all the top slots will be taken by the Japanese manufacturers. Honda and Nissan have regularly led these tables for as long as I can remember

I guess that depends on which reliability table you're looking at.

Here's a well known one: http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability/cars.htm

For 2014

Top rated compacts: Chevrolet Volt (winner), Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic.

Top rated midsize: Toyota Camry (winner), Buick Lacrosse, Honda Accord

Top rated large: Buick Lucerne (winner), Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus.

Toyota being the most consistent, no showing for Nissan in these 3 main categories, and one feature for Ford.

Never heard of it but can see its an american website rating itself - INDEPENDENT websites might be a little more accurate. Admittedly for Nissan I was pertaining to the high end powerful cars GTR's, Nismo, etc

rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif Since when does "independent" mean out of country? It is an independent website IN the states and a top one with well known credibility, but don let that stop your trollish conspiracy theories coffee1.gif .. And because you've never heard of it means you've even less credibility yourself..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Well this thread and the many answers remind me of one thing. There are a 101 reasons here why I would not want to own a vehicle in Thailand. Then there is the high price of gas, insurance, repairs, poor road conditions and poor drivers on the road here that make driving like Russian Roulette I also noted that the repair quotes are close to what you would pay in North America. I guess if you can afford to buy and drive one you can afford to fix it to. Ah prestige has its price. Besides I get more excersize riding my push bike.

Where in the Western world can you get service at US$10 per hour? Added to that good resale, it's more viable to own a car here than back home.

Agreed unless you're willing and capable of doing them yourself. Here in Florida now and so many Puerto Ricans doing repairs it reminds me too much of Thailand sad.png The repair quality has dropped incredibly, it's followed me across the Pacific sad.png .

I guess that depends on which reliability table you're looking at.

Here's a well known one: http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability/cars.htm

For 2014

Top rated compacts: Chevrolet Volt (winner), Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic.

Top rated midsize: Toyota Camry (winner), Buick Lacrosse, Honda Accord

Top rated large: Buick Lucerne (winner), Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus.

Toyota being the most consistent, no showing for Nissan in these 3 main categories, and one feature for Ford.

Never heard of it but can see its an american website rating itself - INDEPENDENT websites might be a little more accurate. Admittedly for Nissan I was pertaining to the high end powerful cars GTR's, Nismo, etc

rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif Since when does "independent" mean out of country? It is an independent website IN the states and a top one with well known credibility, but don let that stop your trollish conspiracy theories coffee1.gif .. And because you've never heard of it means you've even less credibility yourself..

and on its home page was advertising 2 of the three cars it put at the top of its survey - with people like you around I wish I was a car salesman !!

But 'trollish (is that a even a word?) conspiracy theories ?!!! Is having an opinion on a car being a troll now ? Can you even have a 'conspiracist' or 'theory' about a car ? haha thanks anyway chap that REALLY made me laugh! Own a Ford do we ?

More rubbish, they seldom have control of the web ads you see, those are put there by the SEO's and automated systems like Google ads in most cases, since it's a car related website what do you think is going to be advertising on it? Anyway too much nonsense in one post to even consider responding, it speaks volumes for itself.

So, the concensus, of those responding, seems to be that 148,000 km on a Ford and it is ready for the scrap heap. That is good to consider.

You all seem to prefer Toyotas, and new ones, at that.

I could not consider new car as the dealers do not carry stock, as is done in the U.S. I would not trust someone to "hold" my money for a year while a car is being assembled. And, why does it take a year to assemble a car, anyway?

So, I will take your suggestions under consideration. Thank you.

Don't know how you came to that conclusion like your first post, it's incorrect, I'm reading a lot of positive testimonials for Ford.

You will do because they're a mass produced cheap car for the masses - but to suggest Ford could hold its own in a car QUALITY debate is just ridiculous - why do you think they depreciate by 50% as soon as you drive them off the forecourt ? In the UK a 12 month old Ford is half the list price. Does that happen to BMW ? Mercedes ? Nissan ? Toyota ? Nope

Ford and Vauxhall crash in value from new ...........Because they're poor cars ! No-one with half a brain would buy a Ford because they WANTED one, they buy them because they're cheap!

Hmm more nonsense, how many decades has Ford been in business now and without ever even changing ownership or claiming bankruptcy? They not only compete, they've been at the top for decades. I was wondering? In your mind what company is it that has quality cars that aren't "mass produce" them? None of the ones you mentioned, they're all mass produced. It certainly isn't any companies I know of? BTW you're referring to the UK which is a really poor attempt at making your point as if it was the center of the world (we know it is the minds of Britain's though) when in reality it's hardly a blip on most manufacturers radar, in comparison to say Russia, Europe as a whole, the US, China. So you were saying? Anyway keep on trolling as we say..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Since this thread seems to have legs, I will add my experience with Ford in Thailand. I've purchased two new Fords in Thailand in the last 10 years, the first one an Everest in 2003, which I kept for 3 years, was perfect, with no issues or problems, even minor ones, drove it all over the country. The 2nd one, an Ecosport, now a year old, perfect, no issues, good service, smooth ride. I should mention these cars were not my primary vehicle.

I am a car guy, have owned everything from trucks to top premium saloons and exotics, I rarely owned Fords elsewhere in the world, only in the distant past, but it is the one mass market American brand I trust abroad. I don't buy them unless they have something interesting or unique I am after at that moment (which sums up my car buying approach with any brand).

Ford Focus is in the top two or three selling cars in the whole world, depending on which website you read so it shouldn't be surprising that it's manufactured in countries outside of the US such as the Philippines, Germany, Argentina, Russia, Vietnam, Portugal. The Focus models sold in Australia come from Thailand.

Ford have the top two selling cars in the UK in 2014.

The Fiesta and number1 and the Focus at number 2.

I drive a Fiesta S, have had it four years, very happy with it.

• Like 1

maderaroja, on 14 Feb 2015 - 11:16, said:
ubonjoe, on 14 Feb 2015 - 11:01, said:

Moved to the motoring forum.

I have looked carefully on the face page for TV and I see no "Motoring Forum". Where are the other forums that are frequently referred to from various post to the main forum?

Main page with listings of all the Forums.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

I had a really bad experience with Ford Servicng in Bangkok, starting with when I put my Ford Escape in for a routine service at the centre on Sukhumvit Soi 62.

I'd never had a problem with the car until the day I picked it up... then, driving home, the gear stick gave way. Turns out that in the process of servicing the car they somehow managed to snap the gear cable (or whatever connects the gear stick the the gearbox) and did not tell me about it out of fear. Instead, they chose to replace the part with a nylon cable tie and sent me on my way.

They ultimately replaced the part at their expense, but it could have caused a major accident.

I bought a new F150 4x4 in 1998. It ran great the first 3 years. Just before coming off warranty it started to break down.

For the next 5 years it averaged 7,000 dollars a year to repair. full brake job yearly, 2 transmissions, air conditioning compressors

twice starter solenoid every 2.5 years, the list was endless. The repair bills were 2,500 too 3,500 (dollars) each time. The truck was

road driven dealer maintained with oil changes every 5000k. When I complained to the dealer he just rolled his eyes punched up the

trucks dealer repair history and said <deleted>> you weren't exaggerating. I guess you got a lemon. His suggestion was I go into the dealer

show room and buy a new truck or car. The truck looked great and each time I sunk a bunch of money into it I thought OK that

will be it, it will run great from hear on. I did stopped having it dealer maintained, but was still costing about 4 thousand dollars

a year to repair. I did keep it until it had about 450,000 km's on the odometer (12 years) I gave it away when the transmission required

changing a third time. The guy I gave it to new the troubled history, paid for the transmission change and within a year had to

replace the gas tank when it fell out of the truck when the tank holding brackets rusted through and dropped the gas tank

onto the road, (six months later there was a recall but it was another 1000 dollar repair for him). He also had to replace the dip stick

as it had rusted through. He sold it six months later. He got all he had put into it back as the truck looked good.

The point I am truing to make is learn from my mistake. When you hit the point you even think you are going to be throwing

good money after bad sell the car. I was way way to stubborn thinking this will be the last big bill. Some cars will just keep breaking

down. I had the car from new and spent far more on repairs than on buying the truck to begin with. Your car being bought used

may have been in a flood and may have been completely submerged, who knows. Bust of luck with your decisions.

Guy your post has got to be one of the biggest BS posts I have ever read. I cant begin to go into all the problems with your story. 450,000 miles on a consumer vehicle in such a short amount of time you were doing some serious driving. And after the dealer said you had a lemon you continued to keep paying money to fix it?

• Like 1

I believe he said km's, not miles.

I bought a new F150 4x4 in 1998. It ran great the first 3 years. Just before coming off warranty it started to break down.

For the next 5 years it averaged 7,000 dollars a year to repair. full brake job yearly, 2 transmissions, air conditioning compressors

twice starter solenoid every 2.5 years, the list was endless. The repair bills were 2,500 too 3,500 (dollars) each time. The truck was

road driven dealer maintained with oil changes every 5000k. When I complained to the dealer he just rolled his eyes punched up the

trucks dealer repair history and said <deleted>> you weren't exaggerating. I guess you got a lemon. His suggestion was I go into the dealer

show room and buy a new truck or car. The truck looked great and each time I sunk a bunch of money into it I thought OK that

will be it, it will run great from hear on. I did stopped having it dealer maintained, but was still costing about 4 thousand dollars

a year to repair. I did keep it until it had about 450,000 km's on the odometer (12 years) I gave it away when the transmission required

changing a third time. The guy I gave it to new the troubled history, paid for the transmission change and within a year had to

replace the gas tank when it fell out of the truck when the tank holding brackets rusted through and dropped the gas tank

onto the road, (six months later there was a recall but it was another 1000 dollar repair for him). He also had to replace the dip stick

as it had rusted through. He sold it six months later. He got all he had put into it back as the truck looked good.

The point I am truing to make is learn from my mistake. When you hit the point you even think you are going to be throwing

good money after bad sell the car. I was way way to stubborn thinking this will be the last big bill. Some cars will just keep breaking

down. I had the car from new and spent far more on repairs than on buying the truck to begin with. Your car being bought used

may have been in a flood and may have been completely submerged, who knows. Bust of luck with your decisions.

Guy your post has got to be one of the biggest BS posts I have ever read. I cant begin to go into all the problems with your story. 450,000 miles on a consumer vehicle in such a short amount of time you were doing some serious driving. And after the dealer said you had a lemon you continued to keep paying money to fix it?

134,000 km??? "vehicle with so little mileage"???

clap2.gif

I don't know where you are from, but in Texas, we don't think that a vehicle should need many parts, beyond normal service, until after it has reached more than 250,000 miles, about 400,000 km.

We are in Thailand and you don't know how the owner before you has treated this car. Cars do get a bit of punishment here on often poor roads. With that mileage you can get some problems. I think there is nothing really to complain about. Edited by Nickymaster

Air conditioning pumps fail if they are not treated like turbos are meant to. Idled before switching on and after switching off. Wife has had 2 Honda ones fail int he last 4 or 5 years. Apparently this is the reason.

Nonsense ... two completely different units! Nothing much you can do to preserve your AC pump other than don't use it if you don't need it. The turbo speed is dependent on engine speed, amongst other things, and is lubricated from the engine oil pump. So, if you've just been hammering your engine and come to a sudden stop and switch the engine off, there is no flow of oil to lubricate the turbo as it slows down. Also, the turbo is driven by exhaust gas which is exteremely hot so needs a constant flow of oil to keep the bearings cool, the AC pump on the other hand, slows down with the engine revs and has a sealed bearing, so, as soon as the engine stops, the AC pump stops as well so no need for a slow down period.

• Like 2

You will do because they're a mass produced cheap car for the masses - but to suggest Ford could hold its own in a car QUALITY debate is just ridiculous - why do you think they depreciate by 50% as soon as you drive them off the forecourt ? In the UK a 12 month old Ford is half the list price. Does that happen to BMW ? Mercedes ? Nissan ? Toyota ? Nope

Ford and Vauxhall crash in value from new ...........Because they're poor cars ! No-one with half a brain would buy a Ford because they WANTED one, they buy them because they're cheap!

Hmm more nonsense, how many decades has Ford in business now and without ever even changing ownership or claiming bankruptcy? They not only compete they've been at the top for decades. I was wondering what company is it that has quality cars by the way that doesn't "mass produce" them? It certainly isn't any companies I know of? BTW you're referring to the UK which is a really poor attempt at making your point as if it was the center of the world when in reality it's hardly a blip on most manufacturers radar, in comparison to say Russia, Europe as a whole, the US, China. So you were saying? Anyway keep on trolling as we say..

Wow you need to get that target off your chest this is too easy! Again for the hard of thinking BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP !!!

Who would want to buy Ford as a company ? sitting with $33,000,000,000 of debt ? plus along with Vauxhall they have exclusive rights to the mass produced cheap market which wouldn't fit into any other manufacturers business plan - however Ford are NOT a financial success story. They STILL hold the record for the BIGGEST ever corporate loss, regularly are required to insure their debts through credit default swaps and their bonds were only recently upgraded from JUNK status. Would you buy them ? No and nor would anyone else ! Stack em high sell em cheap, but that strategy is always risky!

What company has quality cars that doesn't mass produce them ? Really ? errrrr Bentley, Ferrari, Bugati, Lamborghini, Aston Martin or Maserati - heard of them ?, unless of course they don't match up to FORD's build quality haha

If the UK is a 'blip' why does virtually every car manufacturer build their cars there in huge numbers ? Ford pulled out as a cost saving exercise demanded by their lenders.

There you go this education, sorry 'trolling' should help

So back to the point - you really DO own a FORD right ? cheesy.gif

Yep, you really took the wind out of my sails rolleyes.gif can't argue with such witty repartee.. coffee1.gif

A friend has a Ford Feista only 2 years old

It was shuddering when driving

Went to Ford dealer Told has to have a seal replaced

Under warranty as part was faulty Maybe made in Turkey

The service lady say fix under warranty

Had a friend go to pick it up after repair under warranty

Was told 800 baht

Friend had to go to see then then told service manger

Part fixed under warranty

He gave in and gave her the car with no payment

Typical of any service manager

Try to get you to pay Under Warranty

This is Thai Style

Not true. Don't tar every dealer with the same brush.

For a reliable insight into the order of reliability and customer satisfaction reference to the JDPower surveys is a good place to start. Although a large majority identify with Japanese quality and reliability it transpires that Skoda to the list. As far as Ford's are concerned their overall longevity is not a strong point and furthermore car manufacturers profit comes from spares and repairs not selling their cars.

Cars are also designed, like everything else, to have a 'life' and individual components too. Typically in Europe it was about 60,000 miles/100,000 kms (the duration of the warranty period) but that has increased over the years, before components start to fail. However, everything is not exactly the same so some items do not last as long as their design life while others go on far longer.

The OP was talking about a car not a truck so all comparisons with them are irrelevant.