Buying Computers From USA Using Shipito - still OK?

WorriedNoodle

I notice this subject was archived on ThaiVisa so cannot be replied to. So here is a newer question.

Has anyone used this service (shipito) as of recent to ship a laptop to Thailand - I was considering buying one online such as from Amazon or whatever who only ship to US addresses.

* I notice on shipito web site they mention prohibited items as Electronic equipment or any equipment that requires ECCN# (Export Control Classification Number) but not under all shipping couriers international (say Fedex or DHL).

I used them back in 2010 with Fedex without noticing anything about ECCN warning on shipito web site, so was wondering if there is an issue or not today from anyone's experience?

I don't wish to get into ins and outs of buying local vs US on this topic as I was more interested in shipito experiences for Thai users?

Thanks for any feedback guys.

See this site regarding ECCN: http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/licensing/commerce-control-list-classification/export-control-classification-number-eccn

You can use the shipping calculator to determine the cost of shipping to Thailand: http://calculator.shipito.com/en/#/

Import duty will be applied over the cost of shipping as well as the cost of the equipment. You'll find those here: http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

Other than that, here's the Wikipedia article concerning Shipito which seems to be a bona fide company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipito

EDIT: Almost forgot. The manufacturer may prevent the goods being shipped abroad to protect the market in the country concerned.

Edited by Xircal

I have shipped several dozen computers to BKK via Shipito, the last one a few days ago The only negative experience I have had was using TNT. After accepting the shipment, it was stopped at LAX after which TNT sent this friendly demand;

This package is pending customs clearance and requires a MSDS sheet in order for it to be released for delivery. You can obtain this document by contacting the manufacturer of the item(s) inside this shipment. Once received, please contact TNT and provide them with this document, or provide it here and will forward it to our TNT representative.
Otherwise, you package will be at risk for liquidation/destruction by customs.

I have since learned that this is actually related to Lithium Ion batteries and whereas DHL & FEDEX use their own aircraft, TNT buy space from other carriers and tranship in HKG and it is actually authorities at HKG airport that makes this demand. Moral of the story: Don't use TNT even if they are the cheapest.

I have had no issues at all sending with USPS and DHL. I haven't tried FEDEX for non-US shipments so can't comment on them.

Regarding LI batteries, I believe that USPS won't ship products with removable batteries, only if they are built-in and even then limit it to 2 batteries per shipment. DHL doesn't seem to have any special requirements. I have had 5-6 in a shipment, fully declared and had no issues.

When completing the invoice on the shipito site, keep the description very simple e.g."Notebook Computer" and make sure you set the county of origin as CN (China) so that Thai customs use the correct tariff code and don't impose duties. Then you will only pay 7% VAT on the declared value.

I use the warehouse in Oregon and DHL is my preferred shipper now. Their tracking system works like clockwork.

I have shipped several dozen computers to BKK via Shipito, the last one a few days ago

I think I lost the plot.

You said in your OP that you were wondering if anyone had shipped a laptop to Thailand using Shipito recently.

But now you're saying you've shipped 'several dozen computers to BKK' via Shipito one of which was just 'a few of days ago'.

If indeed is was just a few days ago, surely that answers your own question?

The OP (WorriedNoodle) asked the question.

The post you quoted from (thedemon) answered the question from their experience. (WorriedNoodle) and (thedeomon) are two different members, and (thedemon) never posed a question in their post and isn't the OP.

Unless you know something I don't.

The post you quoted from (thedemon) answered the question from their experience. (WorriedNoodle) and (thedeomon) are two different members, and (thedemon) never posed a question in their post and isn't the OP.

biggrin.png Yes, Xircal seems confused. I really appreciated his answer and links to ECCN info. But I was still a worriednoodle as I could not understand if any ECCN (or MSDS) extra paperwork is needed by shipito to send laptops. Thedemon above has very kindly answered that as well by shipping so many laptops, so now I will not be so worried about having my newly purchased laptop liquidated by shipito or US export customs before I ever see it. I have only bought two laptops before this way and always used Fedex with nothing but success and expected 7% import costs, but good to know DHL suits thedemon as well.

Thanks to all for your answers. I think my next laptop will be when Win10 comes out later in year, as I want the hardware and o/s to fit each other.

Worriednoodle (no relation to thedemon!)

Edited by WorriedNoodle

This package is pending customs clearance and requires a MSDS sheet in order for it to be released for delivery. You can obtain this document by contacting the manufacturer of the item(s) inside this shipment. Once received, please contact TNT and provide them with this document, or provide it here and will forward it to our TNT representative.

Interesting and thanks for TNT warning. Did you resolve this? Was the MSDS easy to get and was it acceptable to customs or what happened in the end? I worry if some PC makers will not be forthcoming with safety data sheets for export to protect their overseas interests as mentioned by Xircal post? (As you say - best stick with DHL/Fedex who use own aircraft and not an issue?)

Edited by WorriedNoodle

Last year, a friend needed to ship his M-Soft Surface Pro back to the US from BKK for warranty repair. The unit has a non-removable battery. Only Fed-Ex would accept it for shipment to the USA.

I realize this is a bit OT but the battery question has become a central issue in shipping any tech equipment in either direction.

I do understand the problem and appreciate the risk associate with shipping these batteries, especially in the cargo holds of aircraft. I personally have had 3 L-ion batteries blow up (as in a blown up balloon, not an explosion) inside of two tablets, one smartphone. In all cases, the containment envelope held and did not release any gasses. Interestingly, all were older devices and had been inactive for several months.

Interesting and thanks for TNT warning. Did you resolve this? Was the MSDS easy to get and was it acceptable to customs or what happened in the end? I worry if some PC makers will not be forthcoming with safety data sheets for export to protect their overseas interests as mentioned by Xircal post? (As you say - best stick with DHL/Fedex who use own aircraft and not an issue?)

After some quick online research at the time it was apparent that this particular issue is limited to TNT so I just had them return the goods to the Oregon warehouse.

Duh....mental aberration on my part there. Mustn't do these things late at night when I'm tired.

Apologies to all for my faux pas.

I have shipped several dozen computers to BKK via Shipito, the last one a few days ago The only negative experience I have had was using TNT. After accepting the shipment, it was stopped at LAX after which TNT sent this friendly demand;

I have since learned that this is actually related to Lithium Ion batteries and whereas DHL & FEDEX use their own aircraft, TNT buy space from other carriers and tranship in HKG and it is actually authorities at HKG airport that makes this demand. Moral of the story: Don't use TNT even if they are the cheapest.

I have had no issues at all sending with USPS and DHL. I haven't tried FEDEX for non-US shipments so can't comment on them.

Regarding LI batteries, I believe that USPS won't ship products with removable batteries, only if they are built-in and even then limit it to 2 batteries per shipment. DHL doesn't seem to have any special requirements. I have had 5-6 in a shipment, fully declared and had no issues.

When completing the invoice on the shipito site, keep the description very simple e.g."Notebook Computer" and make sure you set the county of origin as CN (China) so that Thai customs use the correct tariff code and don't impose duties. Then you will only pay 7% VAT on the declared value.

I use the warehouse in Oregon and DHL is my preferred shipper now. Their tracking system works like clockwork.

I use shipitto with DHL all the time. I don't remember seeing any place to enter the country of origin. Am I missing something?

I use shipitto with DHL all the time. I don't remember seeing any place to enter the country of origin. Am I missing something?

When you fill out the Customs Declaration the far right field is titled "Origin". By default it says US but if you want your shipment to qualify under the Thailand/China FTA you can change that to CN.

post-215766-0-38124700-1424171174_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Am in a similar situation as I intend to purchase a laptop from the Dell US website (laptop model not available in Thailand - or Europe) and use Shipito to get it to Chiang Mai.

1. Does anyone have recent experience with Dell/Shipito, i.e does Dell ship to Shipito NV?

2. Any known issues using the Shipito NV warehouse?

3. Am planning on using DHL unless the risk of having to pay additional duties (beyond the 7% VAT) is greater than if using USPS. In fact how great is that risk anyway?

4. Ideally I would like to reclaim the 7% VAT (through the VAT refund system at BKK airport) as I might be leaving Thailand for Eurpe within 2 months. Anyone done this before with a product not directly purchased in Thailand?

Thanks for any comments.

4. Ideally I would like to reclaim the 7% VAT (through the VAT refund system at BKK airport) as I might be leaving Thailand for Eurpe within 2 months. Anyone done this before with a product not directly purchased in Thailand?

Thanks for any comments.

You won't be able to claim to VAT refund on exit as there will not be a Thai VAT reclaim form provided at time of purchase to show at VAT reclaims counter at BKK airport.

The tax also covers shipping cost and your declared valued of the contents which you can state as anything you like.

When you fill out the Customs Declaration the far right field is titled "Origin". By default it says US but if you want your shipment to qualify under the Thailand/China FTA you can change that to CN.

attachicon.gifCustDec.png

I wish posters here at TV would stop talking about this supposed China / Thailand FTA, any Free Trade Agreement is for large corporations doing international business, not private individuals. Just like ASEAN is going to mean absolutely nothing for us expats

So unless you can provide a citation, especially from the Royal Thai Customs department, stop citing it as a way of getting out of paying Customs Duties

Edited by Langsuan Man

attachicon.gifCustDec.png

I wish posters here at TV would stop talking about this supposed China / Thailand FTA, any Free Trade Agreement is for large corporations doing international business, not private individuals. Just like ASEAN is going to mean absolutely nothing for us expats

So unless you can provide a citation, especially from the Royal Thai Customs department, stop citing it as a way of getting out of paying Customs Duties

post-215766-0-57879100-1425154920_thumb.

"You won't be able to claim to VAT refund on exit as there will not be a Thai VAT reclaim form provided at time of purchase to show at VAT reclaims counter at BKK airport."

Thanks for the clarification, Digitalbanana.

"The tax also covers shipping cost and your declared valued of the contents which you can state as anything you like."

Isn't this a bit risky, i.e. if the declared value is lower than the value on the invoice (which presumably is included somewhere inside the package)?

Thanks for this helpful info, thedemon.

However there seems to be a bit of confusion with the duty levels specifically for laptops/notebooks which is the relevant product here.

Specifically 8057.601000 lists 20% whereas 847.30200 and 8507.8091 do not. See attached pictures.

Furthemore if the country where the package was sent from is the US, how does that compute with putting "CN" on the customs declaration?

Would this not raise any suspicions?

post-199204-0-78094000-1425205269_thumb.

post-199204-0-07208800-1425205271_thumb.

post-199204-0-36476700-1425205272_thumb.

Thanks for this helpful info, thedemon.

However there seems to be a bit of confusion with the duty levels specifically for laptops/notebooks which is the relevant product here.

Specifically 8057.601000 lists 20% whereas 847.30200 and 8507.8091 do not. See attached pictures.

Furthemore if the country where the package was sent from is the US, how does that compute with putting "CN" on the customs declaration?

Would this not raise any suspicions?

Correction:

Specifically 8057.601000 and 8507.8091 list 20% whereas 847.30200 does not. See attached pictures.