Two arrested with Bt18 million worth of pirated goods

Lite Beer

Two arrested with Bt18 million worth of pirated goods
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- POLICE HAVE ARRESTED two men and seized pirated goods worth Bt18 million in Chachoengsao's Sanam Chai Khet district in what is the eastern region's biggest-ever piracy bust, provincial police chief Maj-General Theerapol Jindaluang said at a press conference yesterday.

Chawapong Rattanawiang and Sombat Parabut, both 38, were arrested on Friday night at a checkpoint on Road 359 (Sa Kaew-Khao Hin Son).

They reportedly confessed to being hired for Bt6,000 to smuggle the China-made pirated goods in a six-wheel truck from Sa Kaew's Rong Kleu Market to a market in Nakhon Nayok.

They reportedly told police that they had done this once a week for nearly eight months.

The men have been charged with being in possession of pirated goods with intent to sell.

The goods include 557 brand-name bags, 500 polo shirts, 300 pairs of sandals, 1,325 sports clothing pieces and 233 sports shoes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Two-arrested-with-Bt18-million-worth-of-pirated-go-30254105.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-15

Thais think that this preposterously high valuation of counterfeit goods will impress everyone. As another poster already indicated, these goods are actually worth nothing. So all the Thais have done is stop some crime. What everyone wants to see is how the Thais prosecute and identify the Thai Mr. Bigs.

With a massive haul of hundreds of millions of baht in pirated goods as well as the current one,

one wonder what will become of those goods? yes a token amount will be destroyed and the

rest goes where??/ sold back to the original owners for a fee? a hefty penalty that no one will

ever gets to hear about?

With a massive haul of hundreds of millions of baht in pirated goods as well as the current one,

one wonder what will become of those goods? yes a token amount will be destroyed and the

rest goes where??/ sold back to the original owners for a fee? a hefty penalty that no one will

ever gets to hear about?

No doubt they will end up at the market being sold. And as with everything they are not worthless. They are worth what people are prepared to pay for them.

The wholesale price of counterfeit bags tends to change a little depending on whether or not the brand is hot or not.....so I have been told! rolleyes.gif

Of course the old favourites are always garnering interest from buyers.

you shouldn't call it "pirated". I pirates are some murders, robbers and rapers. Here we talk of TShirts that looks the same as some massive overpriced brand product. Sometimes the "pirated" one are even from the same factory and equal in quality, just the license fee isn't paid.

Usually these products are bought by poor people who would never have the money to buy an Original. The girl from the 7/11 would never buy the original 1000 Euro handbag. So the damage to the share-owner isn't as big as it might seem.

And sure no Pirates somewhere.

you shouldn't call it "pirated". I pirates are some murders, robbers and rapers. Here we talk of TShirts that looks the same as some massive overpriced brand product. Sometimes the "pirated" one are even from the same factory and equal in quality, just the license fee isn't paid.

Usually these products are bought by poor people who would never have the money to buy an Original. The girl from the 7/11 would never buy the original 1000 Euro handbag. So the damage to the share-owner isn't as big as it might seem.

they do the same in the USA , count the list price of the original product as the value ,

so 100 copies of windows 8 at $200 a copy is 20, 000 but does anyone ever pay list for software ?

same with handbags, sunglasses etc , the people buying the knock-offs did not just save 95% when they bought a knockoff instead of going to the Gucci store !

they were never a customer for an original anyway.....

I am all for them going after the importers , but getting the truck drivers is a waste of time

• Like 1

Average 'value' per piece about 6000 Baht, I don't think so.

As counterfeits their value should be very low as they are literally worth next to nothing.

I suggest you read the OP again, 6000 was what they were paid to make the trip

Actually, I suggest you do the math. Works out to an average of about 6175 thb per seized item according to the figures stated in the OP.

Ooops!

You are right.. not much damage. However I know that if I invented something or marketed something Id be royally pissed off if people copied it. Now this is of course a hard thing to argue and you are right the loss is certainly not as high as is portrayed.

However if there were no copies the original would be more valuable. I am not sure exactly how i feel about it but I do feel its a crime and its stealing. But certainly not in the range of every copy being the value of a real item.

This story makes me smile.

Many years ago in the UK I spotted a snazzy running vest in a local shop and asked the assistant for the price. It struck me as exorbitant, especially for a sale item. Seeing my surprised look, he pointed to the Pierre Cardin label on the back of the vest and said: "Well, it's a Pierre Cardin"

When I got the vest home and looked for the washing instructions, I discovered a second, much smaller label which said: "Made in Thailand".

What goes around. . .

They reportedly confessed to being hired for Bt6,000 to smuggle the China-made pirated goods in a six-wheel truck from Sa Kaew's Rong Kleu Market to a market in Nakhon Nayok.

Will there ever be a report about the arrest and punishment of the border guards and their superiors who forked in with every haul from China. A lot of potential for inactive posts here.