Screen Shot.

NoshowJones

Depends upon your Operating System.

For Windows users pressing <shift><PrntScr> will take a snapshot to the clipboard that you can paste into your favourite graphics program and then save.

MSPaint that comes with Windows works well enough for most simple needs.

There are many all-in-one programs available that cut out the middle man and can save directly.

Assume you are using Windows.

On the keyboard there is a "Print Screen" button.

When you click on that a copy of the whole screen is saved to clipboard.

Open any graphics program, as Crossy says M$ Paint works just fine, and paste the "screenshot" that is on the clipboard onto the graphics program.

`

Assume you are using Windows.

On the keyboard there is a "Print Screen" button.

When you click on that a copy of the whole screen is saved to clipboard.

Open any graphics program, as Crossy says M$ Paint works just fine, and paste the "screenshot" that is on the clipboard onto the graphics program.

`

Can also paste into word

With Windows Vista and above you can use the built in utility called Snipping tool.

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-snipping-tool

I use the snipping tool but use WinHotKey to assign a key to it for immediate access. Saves directly to a .jpg file so no need to deal with clipboard. I assigned CTRL+F12 for it as it is directly next to the Print Screen making it easy to remember.

• Like 1

The OP said he wants to send a screenshot to a friend.

Usually when sending or posting a picture you reduce the size. Most graphics programs have a resize option but as far as I recall Paint does not.

A simple little program called "Image Resizer for Windows" will give a simple to use "Resize" option on the right click menu when clicking on any picture file.

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/82827

smile.png

As I wrote: saving a fullscreen as PNG will result in something in the 100 to 300 kByte(?) size depending on screen resolution.

In my opinion, no need to bother with resizing, which will result on loss of detail.

See link post #10 (display in original size).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Depends upon your Operating System.

For Windows users pressing <shift><PrntScr> will take a snapshot to the clipboard that you can paste into your favourite graphics program and then save.

MSPaint that comes with Windows works well enough for most simple needs.

There are many all-in-one programs available that cut out the middle man and can save directly.

Is it shift-prntscr or alt-prntscr ? Not got a Windows box to test....

P

Is it shift-prntscr or alt-prntscr ? Not got a Windows box to test....

Just hit Print Screen for the full screen capture, Alt+Print Screen to grab only the active window. Example of Alt+Print Screen of an application window reduced. If I used Print Screen the entire screen including background and the small application window would be captured.

post-566-0-99392400-1424103629_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...