Closing Paypal account in home country and registering with Paypal Thailand

If you're planning to stay in Thailand, maybe it's also time to learn to read, write and speak Thai. It would make your life a whole lot easier. It's not too difficult once you put the time in. If 60 million people can speak Thai, it can't be too difficult can it?

Not true i do speak quite good Thai but i would never dare to conduct business or financial matters in Thai.

As a foreigner do you have the requisite financial standing tools with a Thai bank that you need for verification etc? Thai credit card?

I have kept mine UK - it was years ago but I did not have all the confirmations etc to open a Thai account.

I would hold back from closing the oz account until you are sure all t's and I's can be crossed and dotted here.

All you need is your passport and simply open a bank account to receive a card capable of opening a PayPal account.

MrWW,

I found this in the paypal community posted by one of their moderators concerning having multiple Paypal accounts. Please see that attached image.

That is very useful indeed, however the actual rules say that one account must be a business and the other a personal account. I know that when a paypal moderator or customer service rep says something we assume it must be correct. The fact that a rep or moderator says something WILL NOT help you at all in the event that paypal suspend the account. They will then refer you to the rules that you agreed to, and nothing anyone ever said in the past will help.

You make your own choice in these matters.

For me, I now live in Thailand and not the UK so for me it makes perfect sense to use a Thailand based Paypal account, which I choose to be in US Dollars. If you live between two countries and can't decide which to call home then I guess the issue is a bit more involved.

Many Thailand debit cards won't work with Paypal because of the AVS address verification. Kasikorn Web Card and Bangkok Be1st cards (must be enabled for internet purchases) will both work fine.

Considering both my accounts are verified I believe this whole one business account/one personal account is only if both accounts are in the same country.

IE: you can have personal account for each country you reside in however they must use country specific details Aus account must have aus address and aus bank account/Thai account must have Thai address and Thai bank account. they also have to use different email addresses.

You cannot have both a Thai and and Oz paypal account, unless one is a business account and the other a personal. It's nothing to do with email address, it's because of PayPal rules and if they catch you they will suspend both accounts.

It's the sensible thing to close one and open a new one in Thailand. I did that about 8 years ago.

I must be the exception. ......only changed my mailing address. But I still use US bank accounts. No problem for me...infact just received a package yesterday.

Tyler is confused. The rules are clear enough, one personal account and one business account.

If you open 2 personal accounts then if you are caught both will be suspended until you provide lots of proof of address etc for both and then they will make you choose between countries for the personal account, or you will need to change one into a business account.

Believe me, when that happens, the fact that you have an email from a customer service rep that forgot to mention that they cannot be both personal accounts won't help you. I know this for certain because it happened to ME,

Like I said, you could always read the rules, after all you signed to say that you understand and will abide by them.

Also, and I quote the email exactly "Yes you may you 2 separate accounts" is hardly even english.. clearly they employ morons on customer service anyway.

I'm guessing you did NOT ask if you could have 2 personal accounts....

I would just like to add - IF and only IF they discover you have two accounts, and they suspend either of them - there will be hell to pay getting your money out of it - took me 2 years, Yes 2 years to get my money back on an account Paypal suspended - their excuse after dozens of emails, and threats of hiring a lawyer, was "we needed time to evaluate the circumstances surrounding the suspension - two years?!? Also, no interest on the money, just refunded what was in the account when it was suspended.thumbsup.gif

Paypal is based and singapore and their customer service is good. Why not keep both accounts.

Because paypal relies on a single email address and my trader reputation on Head-Fi is built around my yahoo email address. I only use Paypal to see audio gear - not trying to run a business as I explained in an earlier thread.

Keep both accounts. Do not close the Australian account. There are a number of issues/restrictions with regard to the Thailand Paypal account. Just use a 2nd address for the Thailand account. I have both.

You cannot have both a Thai and and Oz paypal account, unless one is a business account and the other a personal. It's nothing to do with email address, it's because of PayPal rules and if they catch you they will suspend both accounts.

It's the sensible thing to close one and open a new one in Thailand. I did that about 8 years ago.

That is not true. Ooops, yes one has to be a business account. So what - just open a business account. All you have to do is spell your first name a little different on one account (i.e. one Bob, the other Robert, Dan and Daniel, etc.) This is fine with Paypal. They even told me to shorten my name on the Thailand account while I was on the telephone with them. Members are allowed to have 2 accounts.

As a foreigner do you have the requisite financial standing tools with a Thai bank that you need for verification etc? Thai credit card?

I have kept mine UK - it was years ago but I did not have all the confirmations etc to open a Thai account.

I would hold back from closing the oz account until you are sure all t's and I's can be crossed and dotted here.

Why does it have to be a credit card ? I've been using my KrungThai Debit card here without issue for the last 9 months and my Paypal Oz account is built around my CBA Debit card back in Oz - never had a problem.

You can't use your Krung Thai debit card. You will need to apply with the bank for a "virtual credit card number". Kasikorn offers this. I'm not sure about Krung Thai.

Why does it have to be a credit card ? I've been using my KrungThai Debit card here without issue for the last 9 months and my Paypal Oz account is built around my CBA Debit card back in Oz - never had a problem.

You can't use your Krung Thai debit card. You will need to apply with the bank for a "virtual credit card number". Kasikorn offers this. I'm not sure about Krung Thai.

Incorrect, at least in my case - I have just verified my VISA Debit card and I now have two personal Paypal accounts under different email and physical addresses. I wont close the Australian account until I have completed a transaction - invoicing my buyer, receiving payment and withdrawing that money into my account. The Thai paypal site specifically lists 'credit or debit card' as the options when you sign up. So far, everything on the English version of the Paypal Thailand site is identical to my Paypal Australia site, as it should be. Of course, if Paypal Corporate in the US does data matching, the fact that they have two people with the same first and last names and an identical DoB, but hopefully I can get a small transaction completed and close the Australian account before the NSA cracks that code.

Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread, even if some of the info seems contradictory. As with anything in Thailand, we all seem to have different experiences depending on who we deal with at which bank on a given day at a certain phase of the lunar cycle wink.png

24 Feb, 2015 Refund from

PayPal
Completed

Details Refund from Paypal 99999999999 ฿70.00 THB

Dear Mr Worldwide,

Thank you for confirming your debit/credit card or bank account with us. This completes our verification process of your financial details.

Verification lets us know that you're the legitimate owner of the credit card or bank account, helping maintain PayPal's secure network. As a result, we're able to remove the sending and withdrawal limits which we initially placed on your PayPal account before you passed this security check.

Don't worry – even though your sending and withdrawal limits have been removed, you're still protected against transactions sent from your PayPal account which you did not authorise*.

Note about withdrawals from your PayPal account: There is a minimum withdrawal amount.

*100% Unauthorised fraud protection coverage covers eligible transactions sent from your account without your authorisation or permission. To be eligible, unauthorised transactions must be reported through our resolution centre within 60 days.

PayPal

Edited by MrWorldwide

Rather than start a new topic I hope it's OK to butt in on this one?

I have PP accounts in the UK and Thailand. Is it possible for me to send myself money from UK to Thai PP accounts to save on fees? Basically looking for the cheapest way to transfer money to Thailand.

Any info is most welcome please. Does anyone here do this or can you advise me on the cheapest way to do this type of transaction?

I'm sure this has been covered many times but this will be my first time having to do this.

Many thanks

Rather than start a new topic I hope it's OK to butt in on this one?

I have PP accounts in the UK and Thailand. Is it possible for me to send myself money from UK to Thai PP accounts to save on fees? Basically looking for the cheapest way to transfer money to Thailand.

Any info is most welcome please. Does anyone here do this or can you advise me on the cheapest way to do this type of transaction?

I'm sure this has been covered many times but this will be my first time having to do this.

Many thanks

If your sending any sizable amount there is no better way then TT.

Telex Transfer has not been a viable exchange system for several decades - believe what you mean is obtaining the TT rate of exchange. SWIFT is the modern day electronic exchange system - but there are many others including Western Union (which have never seen anyone claim is cheap - but it is normally fast).

As for poster believe using Bangkok Bank domestic transfer inside UK for the exchange (as is done using ACH system in USA) is likely the best method.

Telex Transfer has not been a viable exchange system for several decades - believe what you mean is obtaining the TT rate of exchange. SWIFT is the modern day electronic exchange system - but there are many others including Western Union (which have never seen anyone claim is cheap - but it is normally fast).

As for poster believe using Bangkok Bank domestic transfer inside UK for the exchange (as is done using ACH system in USA) is likely the best method.

You are correct swift is the replacement for TT but i think everyone knows that its only terminology.

You are correct swift is the replacement for TT but i think everyone knows that its only terminology.

But for some of use it brings flashbacks to Baudot Code.crying.gif

baudot.jpg

• 6 months later...