Dos and don’ts guide for Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai tourist police inspector Pol Lt-Col Asavatorn Wongsawat said complaints came from local people very often of Chinese tourists breaking traffic laws, thus causing frequent road accidents.

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gif

I think what the police inspector meant was that the chinese break the rules in a different way then expected, causing extra incidents :)

Edited by hobz
  • Like 2

They are rude. They go to 7/11, point and say "Give me".

I want to nudge them saying "Say thank you to the nice lady behind the counter who is serving you so nicely."

Different culture I guess.

That one is probably at the bottom of the list.. if it even made it... I dont care if they say thank you, please or anything,, as long as they stop cutting in line

• Like 2

>I dont care if they say thank you, please or anything,, as long as they stop cutting in line

At BKK airport a Chinese woman tried to push to the front, I stood in front of her so she could not move, finding no room to move, she went to the back of the queue.

Edited by t8769
  • Like 2

Can anyone living in Chiang Mai tell me when this mayhem will be over? I am in BKK and want to come there for a few weeks but would rather wait until the dust settles.

When the dust settles?

That's when (early March) the Chiang Mai dust really starts to thicken.

Check your bronchial tubes before coming, if you insist on coming.

I've had experience of the Chinese driving in Thailand ! They tend to drive on the right hand side as they would in there own country and I've had a few narrow escapes ! and yes I know the Thais are bad as well especially on a night when they save electricity by driving with no lights on !!

• Like 2

Every white foreigner should have one glued to their head on arrival . Problem is most are not smart enough to read. maybe that is one of the numerous reasons they tend to get themselves in non stop problems. Rule # 232. Do not walk around Pattaya at 2 am drunk covered in gold . Rule # 555 Do not leave your common sense at the airport. Rule # 666 Do not marry a bar girl.

Edited by Jungle Jim

Chinese breaking traffic laws in Thailand? Man they must be some scarily incompetent drivers if they are making Thai drivers scared !

truth be told, thai drivers are far better than the chicoms,those in china that can afford a car have no idea how to drive, they as a population lack the abality to walk & chew gum at the same time. they are skilled autobots though. teach them how to complete a task and they will, forever they will. at least untill someone tells them to stop or change. driving is a job that requires at least 3 or 4 skill sets working at the same time. it is this condition that makes chinese taxi drivers the best drivers in china, go figure :-)

It's entertainment. I like watching them cross Nimmen and clog up the registers at 7-11. When I go into 7-11 to get past them I just shout "move". They are obsessed with going to CMU. They do not allow them to drive on campus anymore. They must use the white campus shuttles.

In the condo I was staying at they rented to Chinese people on a weekly basis... they make the most noise, starting at 430am... hacking up in the bathroom and then talking loud. I had to move.

The one thing I do not like as a result of the huge influx of Chinese tourists is the stupid giant buses the tourist groups come in/use... damn. They clog up the roads.

AND, they smoke everywhere.

The women are ghostly white and soft...

Every white foreigner should have one glued to their head on arrival . Problem is most are not smart enough to read. maybe that is one of the numerous reasons they tend to get themselves in non stop problems. Rule # 232. Do not walk around Pattaya at 2 am drunk covered in gold . Rule # 555 Do not leave your common sense at the airport. Rule # 666 Do not marry a bar girl.

I assume your words of wisdom are from years of experience in all three areas?

"Please dont walk in the middle of the road"

My favorite in the Darwin Award classification: Group of Chinese tourist gather at edge of Thapae Road, and then stepped right out into oncoming traffic with the 'alpha male' putting his hand up in the air, palm toward traffic, given oncoming vehicles a command to 'stop for the Chinese pedestrians! That's gonna work until it doesn't.

My knowledge of Thai traffic, Thai drivers, and my personal survival instincts make me cringe every time I see that. And I've seen some really close calls and near accidents.

Then don't even get me started with Chinese on any form of two wheel vehicles. Thai's I can generally anticipate even when they drive erratically. Chinese and some Farang drivers scare the crap out of me with some of their sillier moves like pulling u-turns in the middle of the road without looking or signaling, slowing down, speeding up, slowing down, speeding up while veering across multiple lanes of traffic, etc.

no from witnessing myself, daily reports on tv, the newspapers, and the internet. never had any of these issues. Never left my common sense at the airport.

So 600-700million Baht with 100,000 visitors to CM, that's 6000-7000Baht of revenue per person, hardly what you would call big spenders especially if that includes hotel costs!

You are so right !

I have said it before the face of Thailand will change forever. Thais may rue the day that they started to bring such huge numbers of these people into Thailand. Thailand has already changed enormously in the last 20 years. Their culture, temples etc. are now under threat and only some can see it, TAT does not give a damn. Big numbers of Chinese tourists means that the TAT sycophants will be "rewarded" with higher salaries by their bosses, at the expense of Thailand.

Since the debate of increasing the numbers of mainland Chinese came up more and more Thai are realizing its a mistake. Particularly in Chiang Mai, this is where the trouble started first a couple of years ago. These people a loud, rude, dirty (in their spitting), and trample over Thai culture, which is being felt now in Chang Mai. They have had the hide to walk into lectures at the CNX University, disrupting them. And look at the trouble they also caused in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha recently.

They are ignorant of Thai culture and certainly couldn't care less. These people who coming from China are the first generation of international tourism travelers, their parents are still on the farm, in the noodle shop or on the factory floor. The access to money for this Generation Z has done this, and given that they are spending money (and on average per head, its not much), they think can do whatever they want. The Chinese Z generation has a definite sense of entitlement and narcissism.

Another Question: Why does the Thai administration now discouraged Western tourists and want-to-be expats from staying or coming to Thailand. This has been occuring now for years before the average Chinese even left the farm or the noodle shop. I cannot figure out why Thailand is offering free visas to the mainland Chinese. They only stay for a few days then leave. Per capita they spend a pittance, it is only because they are invading the country in huge numbers that they are worthwhile to the economy. On the other hand Europeans, Australians, the English, Americans etc, spend larger amounts and stay longer, and were once the powerhouse of tourism in Thailand, sadly not anymore. They have been discouraged in so many ways over the last 20 years. And if you think about it a lot of the falang money goes directly into the hands of Thais in the lower income brackets, not the wealthy as does the Chinese money through five star hotels and big travel agencies. As in all countries, governments look after themselves, numerus unus prior.

I am very skeptical of a promotion campaign that specifically targets one population. It is skewed too much to be politically correct, as most other nation's tourist bureaus would see it (I will temper my words here).

• Like 1

They are rude. They go to 7/11, point and say "Give me".

I want to nudge them saying "Say thank you to the nice lady behind the counter who is serving you so nicely."

Different culture I guess.

Is that like a Thai Tuk Tuk driver saying, "You! Where you go!". It sounds blunt, overly direct, and somewhat rude. But, if you understand Thai sentence structure, then that sentence translated into English makes perfect sense (it's essentially, "Khun bpai nai?", and that's perfectly proper colloquail Thai).

Do you know the cultural background of Chinese and their colloquail sentence structure? I don't, but I can give the "Give me.", statement at least the benefit of the doubt. If you do understand Chinese cultural and language, then let us know that "Give me" is being rude or not. Do you know for sure? Just saying.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

no from witnessing myself, daily reports on tv, the newspapers, and the internet. never had any of these issues. Never left my common sense at the airport.

And Jim, to all those guys that have met decent girls in bars, enslaved by poverty, married them and are having a happy life, well you have just ticked them off.

So 600-700million Baht with 100,000 visitors to CM, that's 6000-7000Baht of revenue per person, hardly what you would call big spenders especially if that includes hotel costs!

You are so right !

I have said it before the face of Thailand will change forever. Thais may rue the day that they started to bring such huge numbers of these people into Thailand. Thailand has already changed enormously in the last 20 years. Their culture, temples etc. are now under threat and only some can see it, TAT does not give a damn. Big numbers of Chinese tourists means that the TAT sycophants will be "rewarded" with higher salaries by their bosses, at the expense of Thailand.

Since the debate of increasing the numbers of mainland Chinese came up more and more Thai are realizing its a mistake. Particularly in Chiang Mai, this is where the trouble started first a couple of years ago. These people a loud, rude, dirty (in their spitting), and trample over Thai culture, which is being felt now in Chang Mai. They have had the hide to walk into lectures at the CNX University, disrupting them. And look at the trouble they also caused in the Temple of the Emerald Buddha recently.

They are ignorant of Thai culture and certainly couldn't care less. These people who coming from China are the first generation of international tourism travelers, their parents are still on the farm, in the noodle shop or on the factory floor. The access to money for this Generation Z has done this, and given that they are spending money (and on average per head, its not much), they think can do whatever they want. The Chinese Z generation has a definite sense of entitlement and narcissism.

Another Question: Why does the Thai administration now discouraged Western tourists and want-to-be expats from staying or coming to Thailand. This has been occuring now for years before the average Chinese even left the farm or the noodle shop. I cannot figure out why Thailand is offering free visas to the mainland Chinese. They only stay for a few days then leave. Per capita they spend a pittance, it is only because they are invading the country in huge numbers that they are worthwhile to the economy. On the other hand Europeans, Australians, the English, Americans etc, spend larger amounts and stay longer, and were once the powerhouse of tourism in Thailand, sadly not anymore. They have been discouraged in so many ways over the last 20 years. And if you think about it a lot of the falang money goes directly into the hands of Thais in the lower income brackets, not the wealthy as does the Chinese money through five star hotels and big travel agencies. As in all countries, governments look after themselves, numerus unus prior.

I am very skeptical of a promotion campaign that specifically targets one population. It is skewed too much to be politically correct, as most other nation's tourist bureaus would see it (I will temper my words here).

If the Chinese are so rude, than why is it that farangs are still the primary target of beatings, assaults, and outright murder. If Chinese are 'trampling over Thai culture', you'd think the average, easily-engaged-to-the-point-of-violence Thais would be kicking Chinese butt left and right -- but I don't hear that in the news. Maybe it's just not being reported? Or maybe they give their fellow asians the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, I don't know.

You are so right !

always concerns me when i see ppl here spending 3 hours + typing things like that

• Like 1