Import tax on Sim card

StefanBBK

Strangest thing happened today. When I returned home, the maid told me that there was a delivery for me. She could not take it, as they wanted about 1,000 baht import tax.... I have not ordered anything from outside Thailand, nor expect a package.

Thinking about it some more, I actually expect a new Sim card from US for my business phone. That thing has absolutely zero value.

Has anybody ever paid import tax on a Sim card?

As with most postal pieces and courier-items from abroad; upon arrival at the port/airport the packages will be randomly "stickered".

The stickered packages/items will undergo the regular customs clearance and that's what you pay for.........THB 200 clearance, THB 100 overtime for customs, somewhat THB 500 for paperwork and some other crappy charges + VAT of course.

Again: Not ALL, but randomly, that's why one gets a bill from customs and another one gets nothing (extra) charged.

SIM card should have been shipped with the acronym NVD (no value declared) on the envelope, like you do for documents

Afraid that now you have no other option but to either accept it and pay what the shipper says you owe or refuse delivery

Edited by Langsuan Man

SIM card should have been shipped with the acronym NVD (no value declared) on the envelope, like you do for documents

Afraid that now you have no other option but to either accept it and pay what the shipper says you owe or refuse delivery

is NVD an international thing ?

I never heard it before ?

good to know if it is.....