February 16, received a 30 day extension to my ED visa

My first time extending in December 2014, I received 60 days. This time– my second extension – only 30. Two of my classmates were there and also received 30.

Sixty-day extensions for me were unpleasant but tolerable. 30 day extensions are simply too much. Each round trip to Chaeng Wattana consumes 6 to 7 hours, and then there is another one to two hours of pre-planning work. That's a lot of time to lose from one's life to go to immigration so often just to overpay on extensions.

I've heard that tourist visa runs can be stacked indefinitely. I'm not sure how but will be investigating this alternative route.

edit: looks like I posted to the wrong forum on accident, can we move this?

Edited by Hal65

I received a one-year ED visa in the middle of September 2014, so I don't think that would apply. I've heard they're just doing it to make more money.

it's pretty clear to me that they're being given different instructions on a frequent basis. I say that because in the past they've tested me with Thai questions. Today they didn't do that to anyone I talked to.

I received a one-year ED visa in the middle of September 2014, so I don't think that would apply. I've heard they're just doing it to make more money.

it's pretty clear to me that they're being given different instructions on a frequent basis. I say that because in the past they've tested me with Thai questions. Today they didn't do that to anyone I talked to.

If you truly had a one year ED visa it would be a multiple entry visa. You enrolled in a school and paid for a one year course of study. Then you got a single entry non-ed visa that is no longer valid. You no longer have a visa you have an extension of stay for attending school.

I would guess that your course was only approved by the MOE for 6 months, You only got 30 days because that 6 months is ending.

if ubonjoe is correct the good news is next month you won't need to spend 6-7 hours at immigration.

the bad news is you'll have to leave the country to get a new ED visa and probably purchase a new course from your school.

i'd talk to your school and start planning now

Edited by ColdSingha

if ubonjoe is correct the good news is next month you won't need to spend 6-7 hours at immigration.

the bad news is you'll have to leave the country to get a new ED visa and probably purchase a new course from your school.

i'd talk to your school and start planning now

What's the good news?

Are you confusing with 90 days report?

Could the OP clarifies the actual length of his course?

Edited by Kitsune

If you truly had a one year ED visa it would be a multiple entry visa. You enrolled in a school and paid for a one year course of study. Then you got a single entry non-ed visa that is no longer valid. You no longer have a visa you have an extension of stay for attending school.

I would guess that your course was only approved by the MOE for 6 months, You only got 30 days because that 6 months is ending.

Based on updates to my school's website it appears your information is correct:

http://www.prolanguage.co.th/courses/ed-visa-services/

You can register for a 200 Hour English course for 29,000 THB ($ 840 approx)Or 200 lessons of a Thai course for 20,000 THB ($ 760 Approx) for 6 month ED visa. for 1 year ED-visa you should register for a 400 lessons Thai course for 29,000 THB

When I purchased this course in September 2014, the price was 23,000 baht for 200 lessons, valid for one year. Based on the changes to their page, it seems my extension of stay was affected as mentioned. I'm still not clear on exactly on what happened to cause my one year extension of stay to shorten to six months. or perhaps in the past it was always like this, and the proper policies were not followed and people got by on one year? I don't know.

Edited by Hal65

And these changes apply retroactively to extensions of stay that were valid for one year?

You never had a one year extension of stay. All you had was a course of study you paid for that would of given you a total stay of one year before the MOE changed their requirements. The MOE has no obligation to honor the agreement you had with the school.

• Like 2

And these changes apply retroactively to extensions of stay that were valid for one year?

No, if you got your visa and letter from the MOE before the changes, you can still extend up to a year. However, the extensions are just as nonsensical and painful as the new students and are simply not worth it anymore.