Thai-foods Dane chef says Khai Palo his first dish

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- To now-renowned chef Henrik Yde Andersen from Denmark, his first trip to Thailand has changed his life forever.

“It’s because I fall in love with Thai food,” recounts a 45-year-old Dane, who has now conceptualized a Thai eatery for the super-luxury Siam Kempinski Hotel in Bangkok.

That trip took place 15 years ago, with Khai Palo (Egg in Sweet Brown Sauce) being his first dish here.

The taste proved so fascinating to Andersen that instead of staying in Thailand for just a three-month vacation, he embarked on a four-year journey to discover the various aspects of Thai cuisine.

“I’ve gone to various regions of Thailand and picked up secret tips and recipes along the way,” Andersen says.

The enriching experiences have paved way for the Danish chef to fly high. After he returned to his hometown of Copenhagen, he successfully opened a Thai restaurant there in 2006.

Embracing the theme of “Thai modern cuisine”, his Kiin Kiin is Copenhagen's first Michelin-awarded Asian gourmet restaurant, and the only Thai restaurant outside Thailand, which has a Michelin star.

Andersen has also impressively founded the Sra Bua by Kiin Kiin at the Siam Kempinski. This eatery has already been voted one of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants for two consecutive years now.

Andersen says Thai food is outstanding because of its mellow combination of flavors – sour, sweet, salty, and spicy.

“I must say Thai food is the most delicious,” the handsome chef says.

When asked which Thai dish he loves best, Andersen quips, “I can’t live without Khao Kaprao Kai Khai Dao (Rice with Fried Egg, Stir-Fried & Spicy Chicken with Basil).