Why Did You Come Here?!

Khleerm

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My best friend was an army brat that spent most of his childhood here. When we first went to work in Kuwait/Iraq he begged me to go with him to visit Thailand. I had heard all the rumors and was happily married at the time. I refused to go. After my best friend was killed by a landmine and I got a divorce, I decided that I would go see what he was so hyped up about.

I fell in love with the country, found the most beautiful lady in all of Thailand (my opinion and the only one that counts here) and fell in love with her too. Now, we have a blessed family, wonderful home, nice shoe store and all the trappings. I often think and tell my wife that I wish my friend were here to share it with me.

Nice story, bud

Regarding the quotes below, I totally agree with Neeranam, It’s not because Thai women love us farangs, its more about the money, well initially most certainly! Come on guys don’t deny it!

Phil

look, at the end of the day, if Thai women hated Farangs, we would not be here.

Think I'm wrong?

Try pulling a chick 30 years younger in UK.

QUOTE from neeranam

It would be quite easy if you earned 20 times what her mother and father together earned, or if you had a house worth 20 times what their's was worth.

No different than back home really.

Just buy a Porsche and watch their attitudes change.

You'll have more fat chicks than you can handle.

Edited by The Skipper

I’m here on company assignment, second time to Thailand in 7 years and 3 other countries in Asia. I meet my wife on another Asian assignment, just coincidence she is Thai.

On the US tax issue. I get paid by a US company in USD deposited in a US bank; nevertheless I am eligible for the foreign income exclusion. The psychical presence test is only one way to qualify. You can also qualify under “Bona Fide Residence Test”. This does not limit the time you can spend in the US. This is easy for me as I pay income tax to Thailand (or whatever country I am working in) and maintain a residence in Thailand. You must also list any time you have spent in the US, but that does not affect your qualification for the exclusion.

Two ways to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion on US taxes:

Physical presence test, as already explained

Residency test.

I've been here as a resident of Thailand for over 3 years, renting a home, working in the country, paying taxes, etc.

I came here several years after taking early retirement from the IRS. First Nicaragua, then Mexico, trying to find a permanent place to settle. Back to Texas - no way, José; en ninguna manera.

My best friend said, "We're going to Thailand," so I went along, and fell for the place, especially Chiang Mai. Went home, sold the bike and car, broke the lease on the cheap apt. that rented for $1 per square foot. No regrets.

Did I come here for sex? Only partly. Also for the warm climate, the relaxed atmosphere, the toleration of homosexuality, the cheap cost of living. Oh, and I got to teach English with only a BA, dozens of years of work with youth, and a TEFL certificate.

My best friend was an army brat that spent most of his childhood here. When we first went to work in Kuwait/Iraq he begged me to go with him to visit Thailand. I had heard all the rumors and was happily married at the time. I refused to go. After my best friend was killed by a landmine and I got a divorce, I decided that I would go see what he was so hyped up about.

I fell in love with the country, found the most beautiful lady in all of Thailand (my opinion and the only one that counts here) and fell in love with her too. Now, we have a blessed family, wonderful home, nice shoe store and all the trappings. I often think and tell my wife that I wish my friend were here to share it with me.

Nice story, bud

Thanks and unfortunately true. My best friend spent years trying to get me to go to Thailand with him. He's actually the one that started the craze with all the contractors in Kuwait and Iraq. I was just the only one that didn't go. Now... I wish I had sooner. I know that had he not been killed, we would have been in business together. Fredrick Bryant... killed in Iraq... Aug 5,2003.

I’m here on company assignment, second time to Thailand in 7 years and 3 other countries in Asia. I meet my wife on another Asian assignment, just coincidence she is Thai.

On the US tax issue. I get paid by a US company in USD deposited in a US bank; nevertheless I am eligible for the foreign income exclusion. The psychical presence test is only one way to qualify. You can also qualify under “Bona Fide Residence Test”. This does not limit the time you can spend in the US. This is easy for me as I pay income tax to Thailand (or whatever country I am working in) and maintain a residence in Thailand. You must also list any time you have spent in the US, but that does not affect your qualification for the exclusion.

The only problem with the residency part is the fact that you have to pay Thai taxes. By keeping my residence in the states and staying out 330 days a year... I don't pay any taxes at all, except for what I go over the $82,500 allowance.

Sorry to be off thread, was just anwering a question.

Got tired of Japan and was told by a friend I should check out Thailand. Found that the place is full of wonderful people and very little homophobia. Ran a project between my Japanese school and a Thai school. Was invited by the Thai school director to go work there the next year. The rest is history.

"Steven"

ah pero (but you have no) vos no tenes ¿¿¿¡¡¡¡¿¡¡ (upside down exclamations!¿¿¡)

:o:D I got made redundant in the UK,decided not to blow my payment and enrolled to be a Divemaster in Pattaya,qualified, fell in love with a Thai beauty, and decided this is home!

Love the life,the cost of living, and its a dam site safer than Reading (no not reading-but Reading as in premier league FA). Anyway been here two years now,and would never return to the UK, unless its for a two week holiday! :D Especially with all the stuff going on over there at the moment-give me Thailand any day!

Came here on a 9 month contract as tourrep, which was a sabbatical from my job in Europe,

then after 4 months the company fired their manager and asked me to become manager.

4years ago I opened my own company and the overseas company I used to work

for became my client. I arrived June 1997, it turned out to be a long nine months.

Such interesting and diverse reasons you all have. Thank you all. I seem to have asked a question that's piques the interest of many here.

If I had more time I would offer mine. But since I don't, that will have to wait for another day. :o

:o:D I got made redundant in the UK,decided not to blow my payment and enrolled to be a Divemaster in Pattaya,qualified, fell in love with a Thai beauty, and decided this is home!

Love the life,the cost of living, and its a dam site safer than Reading (no not reading-but Reading as in premier league FA). Anyway been here two years now,and would never return to the UK, unless its for a two week holiday! :D Especially with all the stuff going on over there at the moment-give me Thailand any day!

Clive, that´s the way mate! Very cool. :D:D

I used to go all over the world fighting for money.

I had just done part of America, made some money :D and thought it was time I did Thailand, Burma etc.

When I arrived in Bangkok, I got the ubiquitous taxi-meter :o which turned out to have no floor in the passenger side :D and we headed off for the hotel.

I am sat with HOT air blowing up between my legs :D on a 3 lane road with 5 lines of traffic plus motorcycles going at breakneck speed like a pack of maniacs :D I though

‘I belong here, they are as crazy as I am’

This feeling never left me.

The fighting turned out to be a waste of time, not enough money, and they got very upset when it came time to pay up, also it transpired that I was fighting some of the young members of the Thai police force, not a good move and they loved explaining it to me.

I subsequently met my now wife and my fate was sealed. :D

A house in Thailand, many friends, 18 years married and loving every day of it.

NO HOPE FOR ME NOW !!!

i just fit like a glove here, i have hundreds of thaifriends and actually i only have like 1 or 2 farang friends in thailand. Besides that, i love the food, the "freedom" and you know what? i dont have more money than the average thai.

but im happy as opposed to living in europe.

Hello all,

I made the acquaintance of another professional the other day, and in the course of our conversation she very pointedly asked me- why did you come here?

This is not the first time someone has been so direct. I know what I said. But were I to confess the truth, I would have to say the reasons were quite idealistic and also quite complex. And until I know the person asking this question well I will keep the reply quite simplistic.

May I ask all you others here the same question? And ask how you reply and what goes through your mind when you are asked this? Does it put you slighty on the defensive as it does to me?

I am very curious to know.

Thank you all,

Khleerm

I came here to be in the Centre of the (earthly) Universe... :o and here I am!!!! :D:D:D

Regarding the quotes below, I totally agree with Neeranam, It’s not because Thai women love us farangs, its more about the money, well initially most certainly! Come on guys don’t deny it!

Phil

look, at the end of the day, if Thai women hated Farangs, we would not be here.

Think I'm wrong?

Try pulling a chick 30 years younger in UK.

QUOTE from neeranam

It would be quite easy if you earned 20 times what her mother and father together earned, or if you had a house worth 20 times what their's was worth.

theres a great book thats on the market now.

its called " confessions of a bangkok private eye "

costs 495 baht and just released.

all true stories, so if you punters want to now what your g/f's could be thinking, give it a read.

its a cracker book, most enlighten'ing and strait to the point.

cheers :o

Hello all,

I made the acquaintance of another professional the other day, and in the course of our conversation she very pointedly asked me- why did you come here?

This is not the first time someone has been so direct. I know what I said. But were I to confess the truth, I would have to say the reasons were quite idealistic and also quite complex. And until I know the person asking this question well I will keep the reply quite simplistic.

May I ask all you others here the same question? And ask how you reply and what goes through your mind when you are asked this? Does it put you slighty on the defensive as it does to me?

Thank you all,

Khleerm

I came here to be in the Centre of the (earthly) Universe... :D and here I am!!!! :D:D:D

hello kerry, have you found your peppermint tea yet ?

Hello all,

Thank you all,

Khleerm

I came here to be in the Centre of the (earthly) Universe... :D and here I am!!!! :D:D:D

:D:D:D

Edited by khall64au

Clive, that´s the way mate! Very cool. :D:D

mate,

i used to be 1/3rd owner the 2nd dive shop on ko tao ( ban diving ) in 1989.

today theres like 38.!!!

the thai partner was assassinated by the thai mafia a few years ago.

his name was mr Ban, and he got extremely wealthy from diving, land ownership and bungalows, all started with our money as he had none.

he got too wealthy, didn'nt want to share the money around, pissed off the local thai's and they hit him.

but thats another story and i got <deleted> loads of them. :D

to be involved in the diving business is a brilliant way to meet people thai and farang.

but you my friend are a legend, as you are still there, loving it and obviously have a nice little stunner.

i salute you. :D

cheers my friend. :D

Hello all,

Thank you all,

Khleerm

:D:D:D

i'll take that as a no.

Hello all,

Thank you all,

Khleerm

only a question k and feel free to answer or not. :D

you've found your centre of the universe but i was wondering how committed you were ?

most of the guys on this forum are committed to remain in thailand for a number of many reasons.

im wondering if you and your female counterparts can see them selves in for the long hall. :D

you've found your centre of the universe but i was wondering how committed you were ?

most of the guys on this forum are committed to remain in thailand for a number of many reasons.

im wondering if you and your female counterparts can see them selves in for the long hall. :D

Terry, as one of Khall's female counterparts let me say I've been here since 1989, makes me fairly committed, I think :D

Or maybe I should be saying, it should make me be committed :D

Edited by sbk

I came here to be in the Centre of the (earthly) Universe... and here I am!!!!

Terry, as one of Khall's female counterparts let me say I've been here since 1989, makes me fairly committed, I think

Or maybe I should be saying, it should make me be committed :D

lovely piece of work SBK, and thats exactly what i wanted to hear. :D

more power to you !!!!

it wont be too long before i set up house on koh tao.

i'll get my mate mr gracie to shout us a drink. :D

cheers :D

Here's why I came here...

In The West, Homely as the south end of a north bound mule-----In Thailand, Handsome Man

In The West, Donations To The Police via mail -----In Thailand, Donations To The Police roadside

In The West, Everyone Knows Whats Good For You-----In Thailand, Up To You

In The West, Middle class-----In Thailand, Rich

In The West, Lying Politicians-----In Thailand, Well, never mind!