New Airport Plan and/or Limiting Flight Times

EnlightenedAtheist

Is there anyone who has news on any future plans to build a new airport? Years or months ago, there was a plan. I am told that things are in limbo now --presumably due to the recent shift in the political sphere of influence from the North to the Capital! Perhaps the delay is warranted, but how long should people must wait? There are so many more flights now flying over residential areas and, in particular, at unreasonable hours of the morning/night that it seems the authorities should be made aware of the situation and provide residents a plan of action to build a new airport and/or limit flight times to reasonable hours of the day. The residents of the Suthep/Huay Kaew areas are affected. Are you? What about other areas? Can something be done about this? Petition?

If you look at the AOT's future development plans, it includes work at BKK, DMK, and HKT. Nothing for CNX. According to AOT statistics, CNX has a capacity of 24 flights per hour. In FY2014 it averaged 17. It can handle 8 million passengers. It saw 6.2 m in FY2014. IMO, they will never move an airport for aesthetic reasons like noise. Only if the bottom line were impacted and it made sense financially. My guess is that there will never be another CNX, so you had best adjust to the one you've got.

• Like 1

Why would they build a new airport when the current one is no where near its capacity...maybe in 10 years it would be warranted.

I think most people would settle for an efficient transport infrastructure in the city of CM and outlying areas first.

Yes we do live in Hang Dong, on the flight path from Bangkok,but we knew that when we bought.

The last I read was this: http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4314

This talks about expanding the current airport, not building a new one.

Limiting flights would mean less tourists spending money in CM, moving it seems rather impractical (where would it go?), and noise reduction isn’t a priority in Thailand: While I now avoid Nimmenhaemen due to the flight path, I was equally annoyed by the loud music from the nearby bar, back when I stayed in that area.

• Like 2

There wasn't much of a fanfare or even asking what the population of Chiang Mai felt, when it was announced that CNX was moving to a 24/7 airport.

I have noticed that the night flights seem a lot quieter than the normal roar of jets in the daytime.

Seems that Nimman might be the most expensive area to live, but by no means the quietest.

The Chinese flights do tend to take-off to the North, then turn to climb over Mae-Jo, happily most flights to/from Chiang Mai are modern narrow-bodied jets which are quieter. There's also a Korean Air wide-body about 23.55 every night.

CNX has a very-long (suitable for B744s & A380s) runway, which has plenty of spare capacity still, and there's loads of space available for extending the terminal-building & parking-areas, so I wouldn't plan on any new airport anytime soon, unless there are 'other reasons' for building one.

The rumours about Sankampaeng have been around for at least a decade, to my own knowledge, so recent political-events aren't anything to do with delays in that project, by the way.

I love the fact that the airport is basically in town, and since the chances of a plane crashing into one of the local neighborhoods is very close to 0%, I don't see it moving until the authorities have no choice. Maybe around 2035?

Edited by JulieM

I love the fact that the airport is basically in town, and since the chances of a plane crashing into one of the local neighborhoods is very close to 0%, I don't see it moving until the authorities have no choice. Maybe around 2035?

Fuhgeddaboutit! We've got real emissions issues. If you are lucky, in 2035 you'll be taking a train and a steamship. New airports are going the way of the dodo bird.

Watch the Aussie movie "The Castle" for a good airport story.

If you live under the flight path then surely you would expect aircraft noise? Hoping the airport might move seems an odd strategy as opposed to not living there in the first place.

A new airport has been on the books for a long time, my missus read something online claiming it was going ahead. Who knows?

Tell the OP he's dreamin.....

Ahh the serenity.

Thank you all for the clarifications, comments, and advice.

It seems that some people might not be aware that there has been been a significant increase in flights from China this year, in particular, and significant differences in departure and arrival times (earlier and later in the days). I am told that a recent movie, putting CM on the (Chinese tourist) map, and the free visa policy (along with the economic ability of millions of Chinese to travel) were the catalysts in making this so. While I am sure some of you would have been able to predict this development rolleyes.gif or like to think that you could have whistling.gif, thousands didn't!

Yes, an airport in town has its pluses, especially for the people who make a living from it and building a new one would cause all kinds of problems as well, along with being a very expensive proposition --and unneccessary if the current airport can deal with the added traffic. So--and this had occurred to me as an option before posting, obviously (for the wisest people out there who did not think so whistling.gif -- I will move because I can!* I will! I won't buy though, considering the high volatility (pun intended) of this situation (and other ... situations), the low probablility of an airport relocation, and the lack of zoning in Thailand. If it is not the temple, it is the dog. If it is not the dog, it is the neighbour ... s ...noring! If it is not the neighbour, it is the bar! If it is not the bar, it is the Harley Davidson (look-alike) look-at-me idiots! Enough! Don't they like a nice long deep sleep? Doesn't Buddhism say anything about sleeping? The health benefits are undisputable, not that Hells Angels drivers (or the wanabees) would care, of course! :) I know! I know! It could be huge, public buses passing by, but the local mafia will ensure thaaaaaat will never happen! smile.png Maybe investing in ear plugs that can block off all of these sounds might be the way to go! Should I start a new thread? smile.png

* Note that not all people can!

About the idea of a boondoggle out in Sankhampaeng. Whose land would you seize to construct it?

I thought the main reason for building the airport out there was because the "right" people already owned all the land, and all the surrounding land which would rocket in value when the new airport was built.

No can't be true, TITrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Thank you all for the clarifications, comments, and advice.

It seems that some people might not be aware that there has been been a significant increase in flights from China this year, in particular, and significant differences in departure and arrival times (earlier and later in the days). I am told that a recent movie, putting CM on the (Chinese tourist) map, and the free visa policy (along with the economic ability of millions of Chinese to travel) were the catalysts in making this so. While I am sure some of you would have been able to predict this development rolleyes.gif or like to think that you could have whistling.gif, thousands didn't!

While I didn't predict it, it's been an absolute godsend for Chiang Mai tourism. So very happy it happened.

Yes, an airport in town has its pluses, especially for the people who make a living from it and building a new one would cause all kinds of problems as well, along with being a very expensive proposition --and unneccessary if the current airport can deal with the added traffic. So--and this had occurred to me as an option before posting, obviously (for the wisest people out there who did not think so whistling.gif -- I will move because I can!* I will! I won't buy though, considering the high volatility (pun intended) of this situation (and other ... situations), the low probablility of an airport relocation, and the lack of zoning in Thailand. If it is not the temple, it is the dog. If it is not the dog, it is the neighbour ... s ...noring! If it is not the neighbour, it is the bar! If it is not the bar, it is the Harley Davidson (look-alike) look-at-me idiots! Enough! Don't they like a nice long deep sleep? Doesn't Buddhism say anything about sleeping? The health benefits are undisputable, not that Hells Angels drivers (or the wanabees) would care, of course! smile.png I know! I know! It could be huge, public buses passing by, but the local mafia will ensure thaaaaaat will never happen! smile.png Maybe investing in ear plugs that can block off all of these sounds might be the way to go! Should I start a new thread?

drunk.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Yes, a new airport for CM was mentioned by the previous government, maybe 2 years back.

The idea was killed quickly by lots of criticism, mostly around no need for a new airport.

There's a good chance it was just another attempt to create big budgets for the cronies and leeches to get their sticky fingers into.

While I didn't predict it, it's been an absolute godsend for Chiang Mai tourism. So very happy it happened. (
WinnieTheKhwai)

Yes, it seems that some people believe that money trumps the lives and comfort of people, the Earth,... I guess I --we-- can always move! The moon has some cheap land! Potential profits? HUGE! Breathable? WHO CAIRS! :)

I will move because I can!* I will! I

Ear plugs seems to be a good option. Also investment in good double glazed windows will be maybe cheaper than moving to a new place.

Any engineer (with a legitimate diploma not bought on the internet whistling.gif ) will tell you that cancelling noise generated by a jet-engine airplane flying 200 m. above your head with double-glazed windows is not going to do it. Google it! Noise is VERY difficult to attenuate! Think thick laminated (10 mm and more) panes of glasses separated by a wide space (recommended 10 cm to 15 cm) with a frame that has NO ... leak/space, potentially with anti-vibrating features! Cost? More than earplugs! rolleyes.gif Does it work? Not willing to buy a house to check if it does! Any guinea pigs?whistling.gif Maybe someone is going to advise me to replace the windows with thick concrete walls and paint Doi Suthep! cheesy.gif

The fact the airport is so close to the city is a great benefit for Chiang Mai. It will be a sad day if and when a new airport is built. Corruption and profit for influential people will be the driver for any new airport not the need or benefit of Chiang mai people so its very possible.

I wouldn't even say its very busy. Its busier than before but 6 million passengers puts it into the small airport catagory. Easily can cope with 20 million with a single runway. Over a 24 hour period maximum ten flights to China including Macau and hong Kong. Ten years ago there was one flight to Macau only.

It would improve the airport if the Thai air force was removed and had a new base out in the sticks somewhere. They don't do much, take up valuable space and disrupt the airline traffic.

Watch the Aussie movie "The Castle" for a good airport story.

If you live under the flight path then surely you would expect aircraft noise? Hoping the airport might move seems an odd strategy as opposed to not living there in the first place.

A new airport has been on the books for a long time, my missus read something online claiming it was going ahead. Who knows?

Tell the OP he's dreamin.....

Ahh the serenity.

This story is so good I think I`ll have to put it in the pool room...

The fact the airport is so close to the city is a great benefit for Chiang Mai. It will be a sad day if and when a new airport is built. Corruption and profit for influential people will be the driver for any new airport not the need or benefit of Chiang mai people so its very possible.

I wouldn't even say its very busy. Its busier than before but 6 million passengers puts it into the small airport catagory. Easily can cope with 20 million with a single runway. Over a 24 hour period maximum ten flights to China including Macau and hong Kong. Ten years ago there was one flight to Macau only.

It would improve the airport if the Thai air force was removed and had a new base out in the sticks somewhere. They don't do much, take up valuable space and disrupt the airline traffic.

Judging from your comment about how not so busy it is and your interest and hope that it optimizes its space and operates all day AND night, I would bet my bottom dollar you don't hear them flying by or you are deaf (and can sleep through the noise) or you love that roar! smile.png Yes, the closeness of the airport is great when YOU decide to use it, as it is conveniently located nearby! Right?

What I hear though is that there are regulations in some countries banning flights during the night! I am not suggesting that the establishment/the lover of more money (in or out of brown envelopes) here would follow any regulations (for obvious reasons), but to have people wishing for expansion of service during the night hours is IMHO showing a serious lack of empathy and care about others! (Please, don't remind that I can move! I know! And I can read! Should everyone move who is affected? Can they? How about a compromise? Possible?)

I'm in the Nimmen area just a few hundred meters away from the flight path. The commercial flights don't bother me at all. I guess they did for a month or two, but not now. My dog used to be terrified of them. Not anymore. The military jets are still a problem, however.

• Like 1